Author Topic: DRIVE IT DAY  (Read 14263 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: DRIVE IT DAY
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
And there is, perhaps, the issue. Brighton offers a pretty route and a highly deverse destination. Canvey is about roots and contrasts and I would go once but I am not sure it offers much to the casual visitor. A bit red neck compared to Brighton. That might be one reason it was a hot bed for music as it offered little sophistication to those of artistic ability. Add the slight anger of the times and you got this 'in your face' style of rock. I bet it used to have a few MIcrocars back in the day though. Brighton, Thumper might like to go back to where he was made.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Dear Friends

Drive It day is this weekend and I hope those of you who do manage to get out for a drive enjoy the warm sunny weather.

It would be very useful if those of you that do succeed, and get some good images of the day/event could let me have them along with as many words about your trip, as you feel capable of, so I can put together an article in the next edition of Rumcar News.

You can email them to me at           chris@rumcars.org

Many thanks and have a good day

Chris Thomas

Jon Hunt

• Occasional
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Hi All,

Terry Parkin and the Micromaniacs  See Website  are having a Driving Do,  Ending at York  All are Welcome.  http://www.micromaniacsclub.co.uk/what%27s%20on.htm

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Captain_Bubble/Drive%20it%20Day%20for%20classic%20cars%201742011/

I am frantically busy on a big commission but another RUMmer was keen that I accompany him on a run today. Last night I told him there was no chance, but this morning I worked like a maniac and by lunch-time was able to change my mind.

Today is the day when each year a load of TV helicopters fly over E and SE London, and each time they do so, thousands of people panic try to run away from them down the roads. Each year they fail to get away from the helis and eventually give up exhausted, but never seem to learn that if they just stayed at home the helis would not bother to chase them.

Anyway, my plan was to get some photos of our cars at Canada Water, but each route I tried was blocked off because of the London Helicopter Panic. Traffic was moving pretty well though. We pulled into a side road to make new plans and immediately a BMW pulled up and Mum and glamorous daughter asked if they could get some photos. Of course! Well Daughter, in rather fetching cut-off jeans and T shirt opened their boot and brought out a SERIOUS camera, with a VERY SERIOUSLY BIG piece of glass on its front. We told them that they are NOT BMWs and had a nice little chat, and I enjoyed seeing Daughter's face as I did a U turn in a small side road.

Eventually I realised we could not get to Canada Water, so I said we should go to Surrey Quays to get some nice photos. There are car park bollards there to stop normal cars getting close to the water, but for Cabin scooters these are no problem to get through: Bubbles pas where normals fear to go!

We wanted to get our own photos, but by the time we were out of our cars a crowd was there in the way. Well we had a nice chat and let people get all the photos they wanted, and we let those that wanted to get into our cars for photos. Then we headed for home, but at one point we went over the brow of a hill and spotted a Policeman on road closure duty. He approached with a huge grin across his face, and as he got up to the car I joked about it, and he asked jokingly  if we were competing in the London Helicopter Flee.

We were out for about an hour and got plenty of waves, smiles, photos taken etc, in other words a perfectly normal drive in 2 bubble cars!

As we approached my place we had to stop at traffic lights. Suddenly a big black Audi hatch-back fully loaded with dark windows, alloys, big exhaust and the regulation content of boy racers types pulled up beside me on the wrong side of the road. I instantly thought this could be bad, but they were really enthusiastic, and were so keen on finding out what the cars were that they blocked a bus going the other way.

Brilliant fun, lots of friendly banter and interest in our funny vehicles, a lovely break from a gruelling work-load, so big thanks to Goggo for persuading me to down tools, get out for a drive, and do our little bit for classic cars.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:18:55 PM by marcus »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
Great photos!
I was one of those running around the streets of London instead of driving!!! A great day for a drive...not so great for a run!
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Up here in the far north we were out doing our bit for Drive it day too.  Two Messerschmitts, one Isetta, one Heinkel, one Trojan and two NSUs had a leisurely trip of 50 miles as part of the final day of the Scottish MicroCar Club spring rally.  Numbers sadly reduce on the final day as everyone heads home.  Prior to that we also had Two Fiats, one Zetta, and a Bond

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
Nice photos, is that Grant's green 200?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
  Is the other one my old car ETM? Bought from Jeremy Walker's and sold into Scotland and not seen since. The roof looks familiar but that means nothing as I have seen a lot of roofs! I like Grants colour choice and it is not one traditionally seen on a 'schmitt. My own Drive It traditional foundered to illness, this time gout.
  However time was not wasted as I could sit and restore two new front suspension units with rebuilt hubs to go on NAF. Engine next with Church head, larger diameter tuned downpipe and exhaust with a dellorto carb conversion along with a modified Sachs generator cylinder which has improved porting. This might achieve acceptable performance with my bulk in the car! No visitors over the next three BH so cabbage diet.
  I hope to drive NAF to Popham Classic Car and fly in day on May BH Monday, near Basingstoke. Good autojumble too. One of the best events in the south in the year. MIght still be some passes available but you have to drive your classic in the gate unless by arrangement via MEC! This is why it is good as some 1000 driven classics mean an interesting group of people who know what they are talking about rather then picnic hampers at 10 paces! It is worth attending as a pedestrian as lots to look at if you have any interest in aeroplanes/flying, which weather permitting goes on all day. You can even blag a flight if your are a good talker!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
Yup. I like that metallic green colour, it suits a 'schmitt. The blue Heinkel looks good too.