Author Topic: Scootacar Rally  (Read 9796 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Scootacar Rally
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
The Scootacar Rally is set to occur on the 17th to 20th of June if I have the calender straight, that is the old MEC longest day weekend and traditionally always fine. It will be held near Stoke Ferry on the Norfolk/Cambs boarder in the private airfield. There will be run outs, there is a fish and chip van booked and sounds like a butty breakfast van. Boglets are under discussion. The site can have open access over the weekend it seems, handy for all. The aim is to try for 25 Scootacars in any condition. A brave shout. More details and regs will be available soon from Martin MacKeever who is keen to get Scootacars present but is reluctant to turn away enthusiasts with other running microcars. Villiers power is being encouraged therefore as second choice and Stan contacted amongst others to get some Bonds along with Friskys and such from RUMcars. So I might take the Mk2 and Frisky. It sounds a good place to take the unusual.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Scootacar Rally
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
 Count me in if you've got a spare seat in the car up there!   ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
You will have your new car by then Stuart, you will be driving there surely?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
The Scootacar Rally is set to occur on the 17th to 20th of June if I have the calender straight, that is the old MEC longest day weekend and traditionally always fine. It will be held near Stoke Ferry on the Norfolk/Cambs boarder in the private airfield. There will be run outs, there is a fish and chip van booked and sounds like a butty breakfast van. Boglets are under discussion. The site can have open access over the weekend it seems, handy for all. The aim is to try for 25 Scootacars in any condition. A brave shout. More details and regs will be available soon from Martin MacKeever who is keen to get Scootacars present but is reluctant to turn away enthusiasts with other running microcars. Villiers power is being encouraged therefore as second choice and Stan contacted amongst others to get some Bonds along with Friskys and such from RUMcars. So I might take the Mk2 and Frisky. It sounds a good place to take the unusual.

Would be nice to have khazis but I'm in.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
A shame that it will clash with the Heinkel Trojan Club annual rally that is being held a bit further up the east coast near Hull.  :-\

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »
The venue near Stoke Ferry looks like a great venue

Chris Thomas

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
A shame that it will clash with the Heinkel Trojan Club annual rally that is being held a bit further up the east coast near Hull.  :-\

Why is it a shame? Heinkel/Trojan have their own rally. So Scootacars can have their own rally.  Surely all micros together have the National?

I suppose it could be awkward for an owner of a Heinkel and a Scootacar to get to both on the same weekend.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
....any chance to grab a Scootacar there ?  :(

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »

Lead balloon time I fear but........

The reluctance of the Microcar world to publish a unified list of dates ahead of time - one of my annual moans - means there will be clashes in dates of events. Martin asked for a list of dates I knew so I pulled together what I knew about and from the few mags I get and unfortunately the HTC Ltd rally was not noted in those publications. Beyond that no Microcar Rally now appears in the various almanacs published by the media. Since folk do not know when and where the events are for the Chrimbo holidays those who have to plan their holiday entitlement for the year at that time with their family are automatically barred from events they would otherwise attend. Boncer one. Yet you try and collect the info and assemble a full listing. It is next to impossible. Bond and Berkeley events especially. Boncer two.
  Even the National gets advertised perilously close to Chrimbo and missus the almanacs. Boncer three. As I have continually said we should be at least a year in advance of this to give organisers a chance to make the events better. Thus we should already know who and where the National 2012 is to be. Boncer four. I would suggest that the organisation that was formed to administer the National is failing in its duty here, though of course it does not actually own the National Rally but controls the purse strings which near enough amounts to the same thing.
  All this is one of the problems of not having a National Microcar Organisation which chooses to be responsible for bringing things together. Boncer five.
  All this poor organisation and confused posting and advertising means that the will be a large number of people who never knew about quite a number of Rallies simply because the information only reaches those who actually go out and look for it. Yet continually Rallies get judged by their attendance. Well nasty suprise but back in the day Microcar Rallies were advertised nationally and effectively and we had many more cars and people at events. It is now more difficult as there are so many more media outlets but that is not an excuse. Not only that but Micro mag Editors do not react to some notifications and others operate a news blackout on information they personally disagree with. Boncer six. It all calls for a change in approach.

As for the case in point here I would suggest Trienkel owners who have Scootacars have only one choice. That is to get the Scootacar out as this event is likely to be a one off. A default if unfortunate choice. Alternatively the two road runs can meet at the Bubblecar Museum - oh bugger it moved from half way. You will have to petition Martin on that one though as I am not an organiser of this event.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
A
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:54:18 PM by Trident »

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »

Why is it a shame? Heinkel/Trojan have their own rally. So Scootacars can have their own rally.  Surely all micros together have the National?

I suppose it could be awkward for an owner of a Heinkel and a Scootacar to get to both on the same weekend.

A shame as the Heinkel Trojan Club and Messerschmitt Enthusiasts Club has for many years held a joint rally over the same weekend each year.  All knew that the MEC and or HTC rally would be the closest weekend to 21 June.  No need for publicising the dates years in advance because all would know.  Just like the all know the NMCR will be held on over the first weekend in September.
Alas the MEC this year has moved a weekend forward, not a problem because it has been advertised as such.
Any one want to know about the 2009-2010 events? if so just check out Big Al's website   :)

and yes a Rob, a particular problem for me as the HTC event is in my diary but I had hoped to bring down my Scootacar Mk1, Mk11 & Mk111 to the Scootacar rally.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
Alan, have you been forgetting to take your medication again?

Your recent post is offensive to all those who work hard to organise the NMR.

Even the National gets advertised perilously close to Chrimbo and missus the almanacs. Boncer three. As I have continually said we should be at least a year in advance of this to give organisers a chance to make the events better. Thus we should already know who and where the National 2012 is to be. Boncer four. I would suggest that the organisation that was formed to administer the National is failing in its duty here”

The  NMR has been a great success in recent years and has announced future rally dates at least 10 months in advance. (Unlike your recently announced Scootacar rally that is giving folk only half that advance warning). Perhaps if you subscribed to Rumcar News you might be better informed before slagging off all those who actually do any work.

Who was in at the beginning of the NMRC after the years helping the MEC and HTOEC do the events, myself. I helped build the fund that is administered in my own small way, usually behind the scenes. I have done my share of the work over the years, thank you. I continue to do that which I wish to as long as I think it makes a difference to where I apply my time and skills. I have earned the right to pass comment even if a right was needed. As a Microcar enthusiast I have a share in the fund and activities of the NMRC by the fact of my interest in the cars. It is not a private fund. I am pleased it is doing well and thank those who do all the work now.
  If you read and understood what I wrote in respect of the Scootacar Rally I would not have to repeat. IT IS NOT MY EVENT. I AM ADVISING YOU OF THE FACT IT EXISTS. Would you rather I not and remain in ignorance until it is to late?
  If the NMRC folks are really upset it can only be because the truth hurts or there is a very good reason why organising 22 months ahead is a negative idea. I will be pleased to hear it after 10 years or so asking only to be ignored as I cannot see a fault in it but a can see lot of bonuses. Further are you suggesting that unified and early advertising is not a good idea? It may not be NMRC's responsibility to advertise the events though I note it is using budget to be at the NEC presumably to advertise the National Microcar Rally event as that is what the NMCR funds were for. Interesting development and I assume there was a banner or flyer offering info on the Bug Club Rally event at Calne to pull in some folks. However NMCR sets the timing of the event by default and no organiser can realistically advertise an event 18 months earlier unless prepared to self finance. That rules NMRC out of many prime venues including Weston Park which provided some of most successfull rallies (and was advertised in the national media as we had a PR rep to do it) as they now demand over a year's notice to book in events, some like Blenheim two years effectively.
  Of course you are right, I could join all the clubs and pay to advertise everyones events for them as an unvoted and none financed owner. I had been in the habit of issuing a date list of stuff I knew about and informing folk of things that might interest them using my website, which I pay for as it goes. So your kicking me in the teeth just as much as you feel kicked in the teeth. Tough life 'innit? Still there is some meat for you to bite on.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
message from merseyside

CALM DOWN ! CALM DOWN ! ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Are yoer askin' ? - this is the 5 minute version. If you go on another thread it is being hit on the head lessons. Wha!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 09:05:57 AM »
SCOOTACAR RALLY CANCELLED

Sad news confirms what Stephen Boyd commented on in Scootabout. I had a 'phone call from Martin last night. For various reasons not least the additional costs of creating toilet facilities and in instituting insurance combined with quite a bit of negative feed back leaking through to him from a variety of sources has persuaded Martin to pull the event. Instead there will be an invited guests only BUMS event to be organised as this is easy to manage amongst ourselves. This will include a trip out in Martin's new business venture being the Liberty Bell 12 people river cruiser offering trips on the Ouse centred on Ely. As I agreed this new business venture comes before attempting to offer an event for those who include some who have clearly a negative attitude to what could have been a very good event. Shame but quite understandable and the losers are those enthusiasts who were looking forward to something a bit different.