Author Topic: Heinkel Trojan OEC ?  (Read 5092 times)

Axiam

• Occasional
Heinkel Trojan OEC ?
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »
Following on from the discussion on another thread (Scootercar rally), did the HTOEC ever organise a National Microcar rally ? and if so when and where ?, can't ever remeber then doing one.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Heinkel Trojan OEC ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
 The "histrory" section on the NMCR website makes intresting reading as to who did what & where....  :)  Technically speaking, an incarnation of the club serving Heinkel/Trojan's has had a hand in the NMCR on four occasions, 1996, 2005, 2006 and 2010.

Follow the link below for the complete list:

http://www.national-microcar-rally.co.uk/NMCR_History.htm
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:36:58 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
just as an aside for a moment.

I was a committee member of the Heinkel Trojan club and one of several organisers of the 1996 weston park rally .

A few weeks before the rally was to take place i bought my daughter , then 7 , a copy of one of the childrens comics. was it the Dandy or suchlike . in it was a strip containing two regular characters .
 UNBELIEVABLY and for no apparent reason the characters were attending THE  BUBBLE CAR RALLY !! the all page full colour strip was great and I immediately contacted the publishers ( D.C. Thompson , Edinburgh ? ) for permission to reprint the strip , or part of it . they were very obliging and not only sent the original artwork drawn onto acetate sheet i think it is . as well they granted us the rights to reprint as we wished for publicity purposes. werent they kind !
we loved the artwork and used it extensively on t-shirts rally plaques etc.

That is why the signpost in the strip says bubble car rally and not NMCR ! since 1994 several times the image has been used by organisers of the NMCR. in fact they are not entitled to ,  but i have never made a point of it . i will look up sometime who was given permission to use the artwork , the club or myself , i think the latter . The Heinkel Trojan Archive Trust has the paperwork but its stored safely away .
my only point really was that really people ought to seek permission from the copyright owners for what is obviously professional artwork . unlikely but possible that someone might take exception to it one day  
oh and by the way, the answer ,  HTOEC didnt organise an NMCR but its successor The Heinkel Trojan Club Ltd did
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:35:39 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
  The post Tony Marshall organised Rallies were staffed predominantly by HTOEC members, particularly the Kelvin Luty ones. Likewise the Bob Parry rallies were predominantly staffed by the MEC. It was not seen that the name of a club was that important as opposed to getting the Rally organised plus there were hardy perannuals that were also in evidence over long spells who were not members of either of those clubs. The NMCR was up and running too, and directly organised the event early on. Suffice it to say if you look at the lists of those that were on the ground doing stuff it tended to be the same people despite recognition or not - much as it is now, but a different lot. For instance I devolved into run outs and sorting out bust cars and chasing foreign visitors about. My last involvement would have been at Toddington I think when I did the run out and late night camp site organisation on the basis I would be sat by the fire having a snifter with those late birds present. That was a busy weekend as I had to open and close the run despite having a huge autojumble stand and a microcar present. So it was a case of using the car and hope I would not have to return for a trailer. I would like to do it again now I have more time. All pretty invisible, especially if done efficiently, and actually good fun and it forged some great friendships. Others had abilities better suited to talking to folks or doing physical erections round the field itself. Perhaps it was easier to get willing hands earlier, not sure.
   Later events seem to be more defined groups or maybe it is because they are fresher to the memory. Over the years it has been a pretty fair share round the various Clubs save the MOC who have never put their name to one. No idea why and not that it matters greatly. That the organisers change is probably a good thing as the flavour of the event changes too.
  Looking at the list of Rallies there were a few real belters in that lot. The weirdest Rally was the year Princess Diana died I think.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
funny enough i was only talking to wife , of 3 years, about Diana the other day . she is an ardent royalist and very sentimental . she was saying how the whole country was so subdued on the sunday when the news broke . this was the 1996 NMCR that i mentioned , above , being busy helping run it on the day but i remember it quite differently with hardly a mention . was i just busy.  ???
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Axiam

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
I remeber the 96 rally at Weston Park for the same reason.  I was sure that it was the Heinkel Trojan Club Ltd that did that one and not the old HTEOC.  The 86 Burford one was done by my chum Peter Green and his wife who was on the HTEOC commitee at the time but they did it indepedantly.
Thanks for the link to the NMR website, interesting to read where all the rallys have been and who organised them.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

That is why the signpost in the strip says bubble car rally and not NMCR ! since 1994 several times the image has been used by organisers of the NMCR. in fact they are not entitled to , but i have never made a point of it . i will look up sometime who was given permission to use the artwork , the club or myself , i think the latter . The Heinkel Trojan Archive Trust has the paperwork but its stored safely away .
my only point really was that really people ought to seek permission from the copyright owners for what is obviously professional artwork . unlikely but possible that someone might take exception to it one day  
oh and by the way, the answer ,  HTOEC didnt organise an NMCR but its successor The Heinkel Trojan Club Ltd did
You must be referring to the cartoon from the 'Dandy' which shows 'cuddles & dimples' from 1996 and drawn by the legendary illustrator Barry Appleby. As you mentioned it was used extensively at the 96 Weston Park rally but not again until the 2005 event, again organised by the Heinkel Trojan Club.  
By the time you contacted DC Thomson of Dundee (publisher of the Sunday Post, Beano, Dandy & Our Wullie) back in 96 I would have just left their employment.  The copyright belongs to them but I have had to laugh over the years as a certain individual claims all rights to the image within the microcar community  ;D
I am sure that it will be used again in the advertsing of the NMCR and Richard rightly should be proud that he discovered it all those years ago.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:02:45 PM by scootacar »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
small world Grant  ;) had no idea you worked for them . i have never heard anyone claim the rights but then again you are more in the know than i am . must call in next time i am up your way  :)

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Hi Scootacar
                  You are wrong - I have seen the letter that was sent to Richard Warren saying we could certainly use the artwork and tranferring the copyright to Richard Warren, and he kindly donated it to the Henkel Trojan Achive Trust which along with me and David Hambleton he is the third custodian of the archive.
  Anyone car use this Archive, but the Heinkel Trojan Club Limited do not promote us in the Magazine

We have original brochures workshop Manuals and original spares for looking at and copying - we have a yearly meeting which this year is on the 6 Feb.

Mike

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Hi Goggo,
DC Thomson are a massive publisher and company policy is to safe guard its copy right.  Under circumstances they do allow permision to reproduce but I seriously doubt that they would ever just hand over all copy right of an image, text or publication.  I have obviously not seen the letter which Richard received in 96 so can't comment on its contents.  Perhaps at your meeting in Feb you and Richard can hunt it out and state the terms and conditions.  Seems like even Richard did not realise the he owned the copyright and now the Heinkel Trojan Archive Trust.
I will make a point of contacting a couple of friends (the same ones who I asked if the NMCR could use the image) who still work for DC and get them to look into the matter further.

Give me a shout Richard next time you are heading north.  Still have a Bond dash for you.
Grant

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
 And for point of accuracy in the historical timeline, the NMCR/Diana clash was 1997....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »
No, the Rally was good Richard but the attendance was muted and the drive there and back by schmitt was very strange as the roads were empty. It was a bit like driving the cars in the mid fifties and we got the flavour of what it was like to be a Schmitter in their hayday when burks were not continueally in the way in big cars stopping your momentum driving. You could see why Schmitts were so popular with a section of the driving public. The A to B speeds were most acceptable. For instance Tewksbury to Stow on the Wold, a most Schmitt friendly road after climbing the Oolitic Escarpment, I pulled out some 10 minutes over John in Hannu the Trojan. One of the few times I have ever had a clear run across there. A superb blast. Other micros would have benefited too but the low power/high gearing of the Schmitt is sensitive to traffic density and much suited to unimpeded progress. My personal theory as to why they tend to be slightly selfish in mixed micro company. Isettas and Treinkels etc. tend to drive in a more sociable way. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
gosh your right again stuart . 1997 it was then, and g-o-g-g-o tells me it was not her death that quietened the roads that weekend but Dianas funeral on the saturday 6th september 1997. i dont recall attendance being poor even if the roads were. maybe i am wrong - AGAIN  :)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
thanks grant have been looking for a dash and forgot you had one for me . thanks ;)