Author Topic: Need Help with a Janus 250!  (Read 2692 times)

rellim51

• Just Starting
Need Help with a Janus 250!
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
I am restoring a 1958 Zundapp Janus 250.  I am having trouble finding brake parts.  I need wheel cylinders and a master cylinder.  Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Need Help with a Janus 250!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »
Have you tryed Jim Hacking? Isnt this the car that was designed by Hugh Janus?

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
Have you got the old ones?
Nigel at Contract Auto Engineering, somewhere in the middle of Englandshire can sleeve wheel/master/slave cylinders with stainless. Speak to him nicely and he'll machine you some new brake pistons. Mind you, I don't know what Janus pistons look like, so it may not be possible.
He did a great job on my Honda S800. Anybody want to buy a restored S800?
If you can't find Nigel's address, let me know and I'll dig out his invoice (which was very reasonable).

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
its bob that has the old ones  ;) all of them
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
The wheel cylinders are the same as Heinkel. don't know if that means they are the same as Trojan.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
The wheel cylinders are the same design as the Heinkel/Trojan but I do not know if they are the same bore. These restore pretty well and I can do a set of original Heinkel ATE slave cylinders or you can buy new from HTC Ltd with the main block machined out of a small billet. If they are different bore then it is off to the engineers for a sleeve. You will need to be carefull with your pistons as these will not be available in this case I expect. Also the sourced Heinkel seal will not fit and you will need to talk to a seal supplier.
Mastercylinder I have but cannot recall the details as to what spec and if it matches anything else. Mine is spankers so I am in no rush to part with it, or my new slave cylinders, just in case a pick up Janus myself.

Big Al
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

rellim51

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have solved the master cylinder problem, I adapted a small Wilwood master cylinder to the original bracket.  The wheel cylinders are the next problem.  I have all of the original wheel cylinders and they are in pretty good shape but I need one piston and all the seals.  I don't have the old seals soI don't really have a starting point there.  I assume a Heinkel is another car manufacturer? where do I go to find brake parts for one?