Author Topic: DRIVE IT DAY  (Read 14399 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
DRIVE IT DAY
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
Hi Guys

Drive it day this year will be Sunday 17 April  and the Federation of British Histrical Vehicle Clubs is urging us all to show the world just how many working vehicles we have around the UK. It has been suggested that whilst we are not a club, that does not stop us getting together in groups and having a short ( or long) run to blow out the winter cobwebs.

It would be impractical to organise events for everybody, but it did occur to me that perhaps groups in the bigger cities could do a run through the main tourist areas on the sunday lunch time or afternoon, to let people see our pride and joys.

For example a London group could start in the Old Kent Road and go up over Tower Bridge and then work along the sides of the river crossing each bridge in turn. This would take in London bridge, St Pauls, Royal Festival halls, Trafalger square, Buck House, Parliament sq, Lambeth Palace, The Oval  and back to the Old Kent Road.

I know that city driving is all stop start and traffic lights, which is not ideal as the team will get split up, but the important thing is have some fun driving, and being seen to drive our pieces of history.

I am quite prepared to organise a London run, for those that live in or near the capital (please form an orderly que) but is there anybody interested in doing the same through Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol or wherever?

Chris Thomas

P50

• Prolific Poster
Re: DRIVE IT DAY
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:26:47 AM »
Sounds like a plan.

Count me in.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
hi chris . i am not in the london area so wont be going on that run.
 intriguing though as several people had told told me , obviously incorrectly , that you a:  didnt have a classic micro and b: were interested in writing about them not driving them.
do tell what have you hidden in your garage  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Ollie

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
count me in  :)
would be nice to get a few bubbles together and have a blast around london ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
wish i could make it too. nothing on the road as usual  :-[
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
count me in  :)
would be nice to get a few bubbles together and have a blast around london ;D

Great profile pic...
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
Ah dont mock him Dickie, Chris has plans!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
dont get me wrong bob , didnt mean to infer anything after all i am all talk , but i fairly new to the forum and newly back to RUM and thats what i was told. i like to know what peoples interests are in particular . after all some of us are into little italian strokers  ;) 

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
H Chris
           What have you got hidden away in your garage then!! I assume you will be leading from the front in your new ( yet to be seen ) Micro or three wheeler.
                                                                                                                                                                           Mike

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
Dear Friends

Thank you for the interest in the contents of my garage, which at the moment is building materials. All my cars sit on the drive.

As is the way in life, What I want, what I deseve and what I end up with are three completely different things. Unlike most of you, my skills with mechanics and sheet metal have never been very good, so I seemed to have drifted into the seat of organiser rather than owner, and writer rather than builder. However it would be nice to own a suitable Microcar of my own.

I have no hidden Microcar that I wish to launch on the Streets of Londan and to Lead from the front. I am quite happy to work away in the background to make things happen, Act as passenger/navigator, Photograph the action and let you guys do what you do best. So far it sounds like we have some good interest I will email a few others and let's see if we can make up a squadron.

So are there any other Drive it day organisers in Birmingham or Liverpool?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
Being a rural type and local to Bishopstone I hope to go to the Feds own Drive It Day bash on the downs near Swindon and can possibly offer parc ferme for folks wanting to do the same from a distance. However do not let me distract those that wish to raid London or other citys as I am sure it would do the locals good to see some really interesting economy cars for a change! Just be carefull if they offer you a red flag Chris, the marathon is later in the year!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
Dear Friends in the London Area

Having finished the latest edition of RCN and set about planning the next edition, and looked at my work, community, family and social work load for March and the beginning of April. I can see that my plans of organising a Drive It Day trip through London are not going to happen with me at the helm.

By now I should have emailed all the possible  people in the London area, I should have driven the route to ensure there was no changes to road layout or Roadworks, that could muck things up. I should have researched other events to make sure there were not going to be any road closures  along the route, and none of this has happened.

Before It is too late for anybody else who may wish to take up the challenge, I have to inform you all I have run out of time.

So if you guys still want to do it a new captain will need to snatch the tiller and finish the planning.

I hope you all enjoy RCN 108 when it slips through your letter box next week.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
turns out the 17th april is not only drive it day but the date for WIRRAL EGG RUN 2011 . i have done this for many years on various vehicles , matchless 350 , ajs 650 , trojan 200 and recently my triumph hinkley bonneville . usually over 10,000 bikes and trikes collect cash and eggs for disadvantaged children . great fun google it and see coverage of last years event .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
turns out the 17th april is not only drive it day but the date for WIRRAL EGG RUN 2011 . i have done this for many years on various vehicles , matchless 350 , ajs 650 , trojan 200 and recently my triumph hinkley bonneville . usually over 10,000 bikes and trikes collect cash and eggs for disadvantaged children . great fun google it and see coverage of last years event .

It still counts as Drive It though. The idea is to get machines out doing something. The invitation is to create a venue if there is not one to suit locally. So you can do two events at once!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
17th April is the London Marathon, so not sure a trip around London will be on the cards!

You could always cheer me on though!
Cream Mk1 Scootacar