Author Topic: DRIVE IT DAY  (Read 14357 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: DRIVE IT DAY
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
So I was wrong. It is London Leggit Day then. The advantage then is all the joggers will not be lurking round the corners of country roads that day. All the more reason to nip off somewhere. MInd you there is scope to do the Marathon dressed as a Scootacar if you have a handy shell.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
I think Chrisses London jaunt was a nice idea but not very suited to vintage microcars, all that stopping and starting in traffic wouldnt be much fun. A breakdown and recovery would be even less fun. I'm going for this instead...

NACC East Coast Pedalers Drive it Day Runs.  Start from either Waitrose Car Park, Saxmundham  Map  or Norwich Old Cattle Market  Map  and converge on the East Anglian Transport Museum at Carlton Colville.
For Norwich start, contact Dave Watson: 07766 780134; for Saxmundham start, e-mail: eastcoastpedalers@hotmail.com.
(Day Membership of the NACC Ltd for non-members is available at either starting point for £3.)  This is the East Anglian Transport Museum's Classic and Vintage Weekend: you can download an entry form from the EATM website at www.eatm.org.uk.
17th April
For Norwich start, contact Dave Watson: 07766 780134; for Saxmundham start, e-mail: eastcoastpedalers@hotmail.com.
(Day Membership of the NACC Ltd for non-members is available at either starting point for £3.)  This is the East Anglian Transport Museum's Classic and Vintage Weekend: you can download an entry form from the EATM website at www.eatm.org.uk.

Two things to point out, the Dave Watson mentioned is not the same Dave Watson of the Isetta owners club with blue Isetta, imaculate but never taken out of the box and driven but a nutty moped collector from Norfolk.
Secondly the transport museum that the runs converge on harbours some microcars.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
Dear Bob

Driving through London is a low speed event at the best of times, but doing it on what would possibly be the the most crowded Sunday of the year would be total hell. All those fun runners in Lycra towering above you as they run past may be some peoples idea of a fine day out, but as you say not much fun in a microcar.

My original idea was to go through the main tourist spots so as to get the most publicity, but with the London Fun run on it would be totally overshadowed. So your idea to stick to the flat lands of East Anglia sounds like a good plan.

Let's hope that spring has sprung by then (more snow forecast) and the sun is out, like today.

Good luck to all the fun runners and the Drive it drivers.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
I know its been done before but I quite fancy doing a microcar London to Brighton run some time taking in all the nice Sussex villages. Anyone else interested?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 02:34:58 PM »
Dear Bob

I know that London to Brighton has historical links, but should there not be an alternative like London to Clackton, Sheffield to Skegness,  Bristol to Bridgewater, or Manchester to Colwyn Bay? Why should Brighton get all the tourists?

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
I guess its because I'm being selfish. I live near London.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
I certainly feel that any London driving on Snickers Day is not a good idea. However, I have regularly driven my Trojan over Tower Bridge and along the Embankments and other bridges, around Halitosis Hall, the house with a flag on it at the end of the Mall and all points between and never once slowed down anyone. Except at South Kensington during London Fashion Week, when all the assembled media and cameras figured DUF must have been heralding a fine publicity stunt and focussed on us instead all the anorexics. In the packed Cromwell Road where no-one was going anywhere I eye-balled a copper on the central island to seek his permission to do a U turn, he said no because the road was too narrow there, so I told him I had a better lock than a London Taxi, and he let me do it, with all the cameras clicking away!

Driving a micro in London is fine, but perhaps not one as small as a Peel, Cursor etc..
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »
I certainly feel that any London driving on Snickers Day is not a good idea. However, I have regularly driven my Trojan over Tower Bridge and along the Embankments and other bridges, around Halitosis Hall, the house with a flag on it at the end of the Mall and all points between and never once slowed down anyone. Except at South Kensington during London Fashion Week, when all the assembled media and cameras figured DUF must have been heralding a fine publicity stunt and focussed on us instead all the anorexics. In the packed Cromwell Road where no-one was going anywhere I eye-balled a copper on the central island to seek his permission to do a U turn, he said no because the road was too narrow there, so I told him I had a better lock than a London Taxi, and he let me do it, with all the cameras clicking away!

Driving a micro in London is fine, but perhaps not one as small as a Peel, Cursor etc..

I may bring my Scootacar on drive it day.  Lets hope for a dry day..
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
I guess its because I'm being selfish. I live near London.

But not near Brighton which is over a chargeable crossing. Being a Tightwad I would plump for that old Essex saying, 'To Clackton and beyond' made famous by Buzz Bluewater.
It is strange that Brighton has assumed itself as a favoured destination for car runs. The power of the old crocks run. Yet there are other valid seaside destinations with auto heritage. Essex has Bexhill I think. I would also consider Canvey Island, the home of Essex Delta Music and a formative influence for me in the '70's starting with MIck Green, not sure where he was from, through Wilko Johnson and the rest. Hot Rods, Ian Dury, even The Hamsters in a way. So many interesting places to visit for so many reasons.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:41 AM »
Dr Feelgood, Hampsters, now your talking! You see, somthing good did come out of Essex.   "Bexhill Essex"?? I dont think so, try Sussex.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Bexhill trials? Is that Sussex or have I the wrong town. Basically they had cars blatting up the sea front to see who can do it fastest.

Aye, the Essex music and club/pub scene saw the start of New Wave and Punk, just as Birmingham fostered Heavy Metal which become something rather nasty. Sadly Oxfordshire has offered very little to rock music other than some individual talents. Still go to see Wilko when he is near enough, brilliant, and Norman Watt-Roy is probobly the class bassist in Britain. Stuff most 'super groups' these guys will play them off the stage.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Have you noticed that bands with only one guitarist in them develop great styles and become great players, they tend to try and cover rhythm and lead parts at the same time, Wilko, Townsend, Hampsterguy [name escapes me] , Hendrix etc.   I'm still struggling with just the rhythem!

How did we get from drive it day to this?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »
Ah, Norman W-R brill, especially when teamed with the stunningly crisp and funky drumming of Charlie Charles. New Boots and Panties, with its mix of rock, new wave punk and music hall is an all time classic.

As for my area, it is home to possibly one of the biggest and best drum companies in the whole of South Bermondsey, but is also the childhood home of two of UK's most celebrated drummers, Steve White (Session legend, Paul Weller/Style Council) and Peter "Ginger" Baker (Cream, Blind Faith, Air Force, Masters of Reality and lots more).
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »
Would Canvey Island have less traffic? I've never been it just seemed a little desolate in 'Oil City Confidential' great documentary for Feelgood fans. Brighton's good, though I've only ever only ever cycled it!  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
I did drive the schmitt to the Essex Riviera [Canvey] once and it was about 20 miles of very boring motoring, when I got there for a trike show I got given the cold shoulder by a load of filthy grungy trikers, the schmitt had abuse hurled at it but it all went quite later in the day when the show winner cup was presented to yours truly!! I had to leave by the back door mind!!

I thought Brighton, not just because of my fondness for the film Genvieve but a picturesque route could be chosen to do the 60 miles.