Author Topic: Merged: Where's Big Al AGAIN & Stuart and Richard's posts  (Read 16200 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Merged: Where's Big Al AGAIN & Stuart and Richard's posts
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
Nice post and much appreciated! Is buying a Cursor really that bad? :D :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »
Sunday 9.04 and attempted a new log on which has worked. So we will see if this co-incides with any activity later which moderators might pick up. My PC has been purged by a chum so should be clean. It does sound like a webbot looking for personnel info or contact addresses has been attacking the forum but quite why it has struck me first I could not say other than I was the portal or early on infected and recognised as a threat to the basic forum programme parameters. Clearly those at most at risk will be those posting most from PCs using Microsoft. My Linox virtual computer system has been unaffected by all the hassles.
Cannot comment on the removal of threads. Beyond my understanding really. As to not being liked, yep guilty, and always had negative vibes from some areas but not greatly bothered. It never stopped me doing pretty much what I wanted if it matters to me. Otherwise I would hope I offer entertaining or challenging ideas. I do not claim to be right all the time. Well proposed argument against has often changed my view. I am not the ogre some would have you believe.
Anyway I suggest we continue as we were until or unless further developments reveal themselves.

Big Al
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
Welcome back Al. Hope to see more of your jottings. Always made me laugh.  ;D Rob.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
Sunday 11.07, sign back on. Good news the password has not been cancelled this time and my ID name is once again valid. Should help Jim J understand a little more what has happened hopefully.
I think those who lost ID might get need to get their PC's checked with up to date virus/trojan killing material which is available free on the Interweb though I had a clever chap do mine as I am not very good on computers. This infections get ever more devious. I still cannot clear my Hotmail account from pillage but there is an answer to that.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
Glad to see your back Al, the last two weeks have been rather quiet   ;).  There is/was clearly a 'fault' with the forum as when I tried to reply to Stuart's original posting 'where's Big Al gone' it kept timing me out  (very frustrating as I had to retype my message each time) and finally I could not log in.  
I ran a full virus check last night on my PC just in case but nothing was found thankfully.  Perhaps you should post your password here just in case you have problems again in the future  ;D
So what leads have you been sniffing out in the last 2 weeks then ?, I have bagged a Bond and a KR200 project and am following up a possible Scootacar that was rolled in 67 and has been stored in bits since.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
 ;D  Sunday, 12.20pm & here I be...   No problems of any sort to note. Whisper it quetly, could it be Jim has repelled all attackers...

Tojan killers? oh I say, David Hambleton wouldn't like that! Though he might want one stuffed & mounted for the museum....   ;D

A rolled Scootacar? funnily enough there was discussion only last night on what a flattened Scootacar might look like!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
I recall reading somewhere about the original test car being rolled on a test circuit and it doing the full 360, righting its self and continuing on its test drive? Or did I imagine it?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »
Three cheers to Jim  for single handedly dispelling the pirates who tried to board the good ship Rumcar.

HIp HIP Hurray X 3

Chris Thomas

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »
well i knew it wasnt me . cant believe that someone can not only remove a member of the forum , for very little if any reason , but can wipe the memory of any conversation having taken place .

OUTRAGEOUS and how jim and bob were made to trot out out all that tripe was unbelievable . my resignation from RUM is on the way jean  . if you have cashed my cheque i would like a refund please .  by the way please delete all records of my cars existance from your records - dont say it cant be done youve shown how it can be done

JEAN and CHRIS be ashamed

shame the forum was good whilst it lasted - for me

Hi Richard,

It takes a lot of work making a website, and making a forum. Jim spent a long time making it, so us microcar fans ( including jim of course ), can can talk nonsense all day. All that counts is that Jim solved the problem, we should all be back to our normal selves.
Jonathan
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
So what leads have you been sniffing out in the last 2 weeks then ?, I have bagged a Bond and a KR200 project and am following up a possible Scootacar that was rolled in 67 and has been stored in bits since.

I believe there is film of the test track Scootacar nodding over, loosing its screen and carrying on as if nothing had happened. I think it was at on private land attempting test or performance trials and the driver lost control briefly as the car was pressing on. Any vehicle on the limit might loose it so I remain confident that the Scootacar has pretty good handling in its class.

What have I found? Well not a great deal more as I am really 'finding' things I already knew about and making appropriate offers in case I can acquire them at what I feel is a reasonable price to build up a larger collection. A couple of purchases have been made but I am not revealing what they are at the moment, in part as I have yet to finish paying for them. Several more deals have potential but money is an issue. Not helped by the Estate getting nigh on to a legal dispute between the beneficiaries and the Executors. I have however now secured two more of the Church Pods so that project becomes live with gaining the running prototype partially blighted by a lack of ID. A problem I have already solved. I also get half a Schmitt and a KR175 2b reversing box in exchange for my very solid original Fiat 126 FSM that no one seemed to want.
The reason for this return to purchasing is that stuff is available and that there is a possibility that I could be creating a museum in some empty property I now own outright and clearly owning the majority of the exhibits is favourite for continuity of exhibits if nothing else. Clearly all depends on the Estate as it could result in my gaining the entire Oxfordshire property if my contention that the Estate has been missmanaged is upheld. That could require 5 years work to turn around the property into a sensible investment for old age and is my preferred option really. It does not tie into the Museum unless I have a person who wishes to be janitor/curator on site as I would not wish to have such a collection unattended. It is a good excuse to sniff out some stuff though. I could spend a fortune but I am reluctant to pay silly prices for stuff as I think the market is going to bounce. The Tiger prices show evidence of this.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »
My PC got a further dose of infection overnight. Again the Microsoft crashed and I think this virus is the one that is looking to gain further PC's to attack and maybe the one battering at the Forum itself somehow. Jim J might get a clue from this experience. Malaware can cure the virus. Anyway I have given up on Microsoft and moved to Unbunto, a Linux based package created by some chums so hopefully this silly nonsense will cease on my PC. Means I have to find all the passwords etc which being dyslexic I find very tedious as they are never real words that I have remembered the shape of. If I can put up with this shift of info and it works the Unbunto looks a better package already.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
Two bits of software for any Windows PC that I would highly recommend, which are both free are Microsoft's own "Security Essentials" http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and Trusteer Rapport http://www.trusteer.com/product/trusteer-rapport.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
My computer was under attack over the weekend, fortunately my antivirus setup was able to block it each time. I'm wondering if we are being targeted through the forum somehow?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Dear Bob

I think not as my daughter's computer was hit last night and she would never have been on the Rumcar web site.

I think somebody has found a way through the defences of one of the Antivirus programs. I had a problem not so long ago when I was running with Mcafee and now my daughter's computer has the same and she has Mcafee as well.

It will be interesting to see how Al gets on with Linux.

Chris Thomas

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Maybe that infamous "Oxford Triangle" is stretching across the waves.  For five hours yesterday I could not log on to rumcars or anything with rumcars in it.  I kept on receiving a message " Forbidden to access this server".  This was from my office computer, though I was able to log on via my home computer.  I was just about to send Jim an e-mail, and tried it once more about 4:00 pm and it was ok.   Strange........Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal