Author Topic: This Sunday, November 21  (Read 3886 times)

wanghuanju

This Sunday, November 21
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
This Sunday, November 21, we invite all who can to join us for a ‘pie and a pint’ at the Plough Inn in Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire - just off the M40, junction 9: it’s a great chance to find out what our events are all about, submit your entry if you’re ready to do so and see some pictures of the great time we all had on Liège-Brescia-Liège 2010.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: This Sunday, November 21
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
I am going to delete this topic in a bit, well maybe I will leave it up for awhile as an example of why some things get deleted.

First note that this is a new "member" of the group.  They posted something about "This Sunday Nov 21" , what is the date now?  February 25?

seems a bit odd.

Doing a quick Google search of the sentence that was posted shows that this was just copied and pasted from here:
http://fiat500valdelsa.jimdo.com/liegi-brescia-liegi/

in addition, this new poster has a signature that include some link to jewelry sets in China.   The whole point of this post was to create that signature with the back-link in it.  This person is most likely doing this in other forums trying to do what is called "Search Engine Optimization."  It does not really hurt this forum but I have a problem with it as the person posting it is not really interested in discussing anything.  Their entire goal is to create back-links to their website.

I have banned them for now and changed their signature so the back-link is no longer working

anyone have a problem with this please speak up.  I will not chew your head off.  If you have links in your signatures that relate microcars or anything even close and you are an active member contributing to the group you have nothing to fear.  It is only dirt-bags like this WangHuanJu that get tossed.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
No problem at all.

Nice that this forum is free from all sorts of spam and rubbish.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
Good actions and advice, thanks Jim!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
Thanks for being such a good watchdog Jim.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
When I first read this posting I did think it was a bit strange as the advertised event had past.  That said why would a Spammer post something that is Microcar related ?.
Jim, if you look a bit further down the subjects within Microcar events you will find a topic called 'November's news from Liege-Brescia-Leige 2001'  The posting by yourself contains some very similar text  :D.  No need for a google search, just a good memory !.
Seriously though, yes delete as it is probably a Spammer.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
I would point out that the original material is from Malcolm Mackay, who is a member of the forum I believe, but even more spooky is in the Oxford Triangle. Argh!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
Dear Al

How far does the Oxford Triangle extend?
Does it extend half way to Cambridge? and which way up is the Triangle?
Is it a right angle triangle, or an equilateral triangle?

Can you plot it on a map for us all?

I think we should be told.

Worried from Surrey

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
if you look a bit further down the subjects within Microcar events you will find a topic called 'November's news from Liege-Brescia-Leige 2001'  The posting by yourself contains some very similar text 

good catch. My original post did not show up in the quick Google search I did.  No clue as to where the spammer originally got the info from now, but it does not really matter, he's gone.
I created a new form of validation for new members.  Try signing up as a "new" member to see what it is.  You have to be a human to do it. The forum is constantly bombarded by automated signups from all over the world and that new validation form cut them all to close to zero.

There apparently are large groups of people in other countries that are paid to do nothing but exactly what this person did; sign up on forums, make a supposedly relevant post and create a "signature" that contains a link to someplace that benefits from the outgoing link.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »

There apparently are large groups of people in other countries that are paid to do nothing but exactly what this person did; sign up on forums, make a supposedly relevant post and create a "signature" that contains a link to someplace that benefits from the outgoing link.

Indeed, a considerable chunk of the world's population in all countries is involved in spamming, junk emails, telesales, canvassing and other such practices. To me it is the downside of the wonder of the internet, where ideas and interests, advice and friendship can be shared, exchanged and forged around the world.

This downside is in my opinion an incredibly sad aspect of humanity, and it might be how we are judged by future generations or more advanced alien life-forms.

(Fortunately these future generations and/or advanced alien life-forms are OBVIOUSLY going to consider our interest in small vehicles to be a totally good and worthwhile thing!)
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

Reply moved to form its own topic in "Microcar discussion"....   :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:45:08 AM by Stuart Cyphus »