Author Topic: An offer leading to a clearout  (Read 7335 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
An offer leading to a clearout
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
  The ebb and flow of vehicles and the economy.
  I have had several 'phone calls leading to the decision to have a bit of a clear out of stuff. So all change as a couple of deals look certain to put me back to being primarily a Messerschmitter with some other interesting MIcrocars and a few nice bits of tackle. Why, well inflation is due to become rampant if we start to recover reducing the investment potential of classic cars in storage. If we do not start to recover then money will get very tight anyway, which could squeeze prices. The attraction of owning a large number of machines is great but realistically they become a liability and only so much can be worked on in the time available a week. I am looking at investing in what could be the bottom of the property market at the end of the year as well. So these deals are probably well timed for me. Having disposed of some 15 vehicles, and associated storage, I think I might continue to reduce exposure back to my favourites and pass up on buying a few things I was seriously considering. Good news for the rest of you should you be in the hunt. Also all bar one of these cars remain in Britain, as far as I know. Personally I think it is becoming wise to only own cars you have some prospect of driving as we swing into the tight times after the causes of the crash in the economy and with the prospect of some unfavourable legislation to come. So back to plan H2 part 7.
  I will be selling off three or four Messerschmitts later this year.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

drew.s

• Just Starting
Re: An offer leading to a clearout
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Hi Big Al
I am new to this forum but I saw your post where you seem to be slimming down your collection.
I am interested in getting back into a messerschmitt as I restored one back in the late 70's early 80's.
Stupidly I sold it around 86.

Would be very interested in anything you are thinking of passing on even incomplete projects.

Regards
Drew
Surrey

Ollie

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Any kr175's Alan ??
Regards
Ollie

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Hi Big Al
I am new to this forum but I saw your post where you seem to be slimming down your collection.
I am interested in getting back into a messerschmitt as I restored one back in the late 70's early 80's.
Stupidly I sold it around 86.

Would be very interested in anything you are thinking of passing on even incomplete projects.

Regards
Drew
Surrey

Stupidly indeed.  That's (or was, who knows what condition it's in now?) a lovely KR.

It looks great in white.

Good luck in finding another. 

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
DVLA has it down as exported.  >:(
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

drew.s

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind remarks.
Yes it was a great little car, 1964 with unusually a tiger seat and door handle.
I drove it around Bath for many years and then around London when I got my first job.
Went to quite a few rallies and it never let me down.
It was originally cream with dark blue wings and a blue tinted dome.
Here it is not quite finished.

The guy I sold it to said it was for a Japanese client who was going to put it in his clothes store, so the DVLA 'exported' would make sense.
Would love to know if it is still alive.
Regards
Drew

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
What a shame it's gone.

If it's in Japan i'm 99% sure it lives.   A '64 was the very last.  So it makes sense that a TG seat was bunged in it.

I have a '63 and some say because FMR had plenty of snakeskin left it went in to a few KR's gratis.  Or it could have been specced I suppose by the first owner.

The TG handle came in circa '60 I think.  Also the sidelight lenses are wrong.  Actually they're right. FMR ran out of the KR ones so used Beetle lenses.  That's what I have on mine. Interesting...

I'm sure you'll get one.  They're not rare. Sorry, projects are.  They seem to go bonkers on Ebay.  But a half decent turnkey car these days seems to start at £15k.      

I'll sell mine. When I'm worm food!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:46:03 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
473 MOR had the highest chassis number known to a UK car. Shame it's gone. It's still possible to turn up cheap projects. I bought a '55 KR200 in very sound condition this week for 1,000 Euros. Also this week I swapped 2 pedal sets , 2 damaged steering bars, a fibreglass dome, a set of door rubbers & 2 back lights for a KR200 matched bodyshell with sound tub, door complete with ali & screen, nose & boot. They're still out there if you look hard enough.           Nick Poll.   
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
  I remember seeing MOR driving about in Bath and I think also during my spell down at Blackheath. I think I used to see it on my way to the Print works at Peckham round the New Cross to railway roundabouts on route. Indeed if it was you I passed you going the other way in my yellow cabrio the week I had it down for a trip abroad, Story?

The first car is forming up to be sold. It is a complete rolling restoration car with a perfect Monocoque, good nose - possibly with new panels on if I can find some in the stash. The boot is good too. The door is, however a little sad. Engine in one lump, turning over but clearly wants a rebuild. Everything is with it, unlike most projects advertised. Of course it has its number on V5C. This will probably be the cheapest car as I have very little that is not in very good or in original unmolested condition now. I was looking to put it to eBay and classifieds.

Sarge is near the road and if I get a good offer that will be sold as a driving original condition car. Absolute wee wee to restore but I like it the way it is. It duplicates Black Bazzer so not part of my collection to keep.

I will be looking to sell another original '70's KR200 car off running, ex Tony Bailey - again a duplicate type, if Sarge goes and the red restored Bristol registered car later when finished, far to good and shiny for me! However that will not be cheap. No real hurry to sell those but looking out for some funds to do building work.

I will be selling off other tackle too as I have to many projects in hand and it looks ever more likely I will be building at least two houses in the next 6 years which is a major undertaking. Depending on many things I might find I have to do several more which impacts directly on time to do cars. Once done I have a budget and time to indulge in cars which is pain if you had to sell them off to get in the position. One of life's ridiculous conundrums.
  One other project in hand is a few Messerschmitt Sports I am doing with new parts where needed. Not sure where that fits in plans at the moment.

I have a KR175 to restore. I have part of another. One thing I will be doing if I sell a few cars off is to buy another I know of. I can then restore a very nice example from this lot and will probably pass a near complete set of parts on for someone else to do. Likewise I have the possibility of two Tigers. Completing one will be enough I think!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

drew.s

• Just Starting
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
Hi Big Al
Yes that was me, ended up living for a while in Brockley around the corner from New Cross and driving to work in the Isle of dogs for a few years, now living in Epsom.
Please let me take a look at your KR project before you put it on Ebay, sounds right up my street.
I am nearing the end of my latest project (1944 Type82 Kubelwagen) and need something to keep me going in the workshop.

PM me your details and I'll give you a ring.

PS Where abouts are you?

Regards
Drew

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
Drew: that's a very nice looking 200. Before I moved to Bermondsey (2 miles from New Cross) I lived in West London, and once saw a blue/cream 200 in Shepherds Bush, with a matching blue tinted sun visor, could that have been MOR?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

drew.s

• Just Starting
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
Hi Marcus
No, by the time I was in London I hade 'restored' 473 MOR it was a rather modern polar white with soft top.
I must admit I regret not replacing the dome but at the time I did'nt have the finance.
Regards
Drew

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
There was regularly another 200 parked close to where I saw that one, it was fairly grotty and finished in Silver hammerite, reg no AUK
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
Silver hammerite and red wings was Mick Leeson/Fletch but not sure it ever went to that area.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »
Now that's a rarity Marcus, a Silver AUK. They're normally black and white. But just like a Messerschmitt they have short wings.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.