Author Topic: Number plates  (Read 9125 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Number plates
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »
Having sorted through some 100 odd loose number plates from the years of salvaging cars from hedges, sheds, scrap yards and number plate dealers I have just sorted through them with the help of young Root. He has gone off with the ones that have no life left in them, I am left with some to check out further and live ones including machines forgotten about. However in this stuff were some live original number plates plates that escaped supply with the car when it was sold on. So attention if you know the owners of.
Isetta - 604 TKJ ex of Groomfondles yard and currently on the road - hurrah.
Isetta - 349 VMF
Trojan - 193 FCR did this car go to Bob Cotton at one point? I recall a cock up over that cars ID.
NSU Prinz - ONX 840F plates with Stuart
It should be possible to re unite these old plates with their original cars
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Number plates
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
Groomfondle? Sounds like Vroomfondel from the National Union of Philosophers in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy  ;D
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
Having sorted through some 100 odd loose number plates from the years of salvaging cars from hedges, sheds, scrap yards and number plate dealers I have just sorted through them with the help of young Root. He has gone off with the ones that have no life left in them, I am left with some to check out further and live ones including machines forgotten about. However in this stuff were some live original number plates plates that escaped supply with the car when it was sold on. So attention if you know the owners of.
Isetta - 604 TKJ ex of Groomfondles yard and currently on the road - hurrah.
Isetta - 349 VMF
Trojan - 193 FCR did this car go to Bob Cotton at one point? I recall a cock up over that cars ID.
NSU Prinz - ONX 840F plates with Stuart
It should be possible to re unite these old plates with their original cars

I have an NSU Prinz UCD 840J which are the wrong plates for the car.  I am looking for the right plates for this car.  My actual car was produced the day before UCD 840J so I am looking for a J plate.
I have the proper engine and chassis numbers:-
Prinz 4 chassis number 0511 016 277 production date 16.11.1970  engine number XA 16 423 colour Targa Orange. = The details on the V5 that relate to UCD 840J
Prinz 4 chassis number 0511 016 289 production date 17.11.1970  engine number XA 16 277 colour Targa Orange. = The numbers on my car (Engine has been changed to 47312414 at some time)

Any information on Prinz chassis number 0511 016 277 (or where Engine XA 16 423 is) would be helpfull.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »
It was supposed that orange P4 was a special addition to make profit from the TT. Not sure about that as it seems not as rare a colour as first hinted. That said there have been three or four of these P4 that have shuffled round eBay over the last 5 or 6 years regularly. Some even seem to have accreted in one place together several times, like here. Do not recall that number but my memory for NSU numbers id very poor. I never stooped to swapping numbers but I know other owners that did. All this wheeler dealing is only to likely to bring up a situation like yours with a dead cars live V5 record being grafted to a similar unregistered live car. In theory you can buy the V5 history of the registered car from DVLA. Going back might lead to the crossover but it is not really something someone is going to admit to. No idea if the NSUOC have a register. They did not when I had all my Sport Prinz and Spiders but a private one was created by Rob Spurgeon. Lost touch with him. I have two spare 1000 chassis and NSU 1000TT (S) stuff but no P4 left.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
These days the numbers have to match so that the MOT is valid and the Insurance pays out when the brakes fail on a Zebra crossing.
So I thought I should try to get the proper registration number reinstated.
I am in touch with DVLA and the NSU club have been fantastic.
I didn't know that there was an association between the orange colour and the TT.
I have the history of the car with the Registration number UCD 840J from Lewes record office but as I dont know the proper registration of the car which sits in my garden, I have to deal with DVLA.
I don't want to restore it just to find out it was stolen.
We shall see.
Any information from anyone would be appreciated.
NSU club dont have a record of my car but I will tryto find out the wherabouts of Rob Spurgeon.

Barry
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:20:41 AM by Isetta_Owner »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
The matching numbers is bureaucraticly important of course. Unfortunately DVLA offers the public no way to check a chassis number unlike many quasi Government agencies and the insurance industry. I have never understood why this is as you have rightly identified that you wish not to own a stolen car. The chassis number is the car. The registration number is rented from the Government. Which record do you think is likely to be of more interest and use to the potential owner of a vehicle? So the anti theft campaign falls at the first hurdle since it is really not too important against revenue collection. Like you I own various cars, bits and so on I cannot identify as while I have all other information I do not know the registration number that may now have been moved to another vehicle for a fee to the State. Who was it preventing and not stealing again, please? The system stinks.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
I don't hold out much hope of a positive response from DVLC.
I must tick this box though.
What can they do, force me to scrap it, or issue another fresh age related plate perhaps.
For that I will need an MOT no doubt.
We will see and what will be will be.

I had a Lambretta stolen in about 1980.  reg RPU 165R (reregistered Italian Lambretta from about 1965)
I still have the log book
If I ask DVLC to check for the frame number and it appears on a lovely restored GT200 Lambretta, does it still belong to me?

Barry

(Mums Fiat 850 sports in the background - she thought it seemed fast, then we told her that it was the rev counter at 3000 which she thought was 30mph)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:33:40 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
The mistery of my incorrect chassis number may be resolved!
I have had the car inspected at VOSA Ipswich.  A very friendly chap.  He confirmed the Engine and Chassis numbers.
We also noticed that the ignition key number was the same as that on the sales docket I found in the glove box.

Speaking to Swansea, two NSU Prinz cars, both orange, were registered with the same Chassis numbers and same Engine numbers.
They would not tell me the registration number of the other car but it looks like it had the correct numbers.  My 289 chassis was never registered.

Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Its a new car! An interesting tale but none the less you do not know if what you are told is correct or just convenient to DVLA. I am willing to bet you will be offered no proof. Conversely we have a situation here of a clear infraction of the rules, a miss sold car minus its number and a pretty good set of supporting information. Report to Police, DVLA, VOSA, LVLO, and Trading Standards and its pass the parcel with no one responsible to round up the perpetrators and sort it out. So he gets away with it. Whatever rules are in place are effectively meaningless. These agencies are staffed by the same people who today are striking about how hard done by they are to have to work harder after the crunch. What you mean like everyone else? Sympathy, none. Answer, sack a few more useless ones if they have time to wonder the streets looking untidy. That's my job and I do it for free.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »
Carefull what you say Al, you owned this car once and sold it on!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
I wonder if I will get a new 2011 number then - that will be interesting.  Hopefully I will just retain the old number and the correct Chassis No. will go in the V5.
I don't think you should undermine our very very hard working Public sector workers.  My mother worked in the Vehicle licencing office and sometimes she had to process as many as three tax discs in one morning.
In the planning office the other day, one of the three receptionists had to stay on the counter in case a customer turned up! whilst the other two made a 10th cup of coffee.  
Why should one have to work whilst the others make coffee, its just not right.
In any case, the public sector are on a very low wage, thats why they have good pensions early retirement, loads of holiday, compulsory sick leave, staff training days, time off to eat cream cakes, etc.etc.etc.
If I wanted a pension equivalent to a public sector worker I would need to pay about 25% of my wages in to it.  They are rightly complaining at 8% and we should all understand there dilema.
I am more than happy to make up the extra 17% from my tax, arn't you?
In any case nearly 50% of the public support the strike - ref research carried out outside Southend-on-Sea Civic Centre.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:36:59 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
Are you going to put this rather interesting NSU on the Register ?  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Dear Jean
I have beaten you to it this time, it's regisered already No.1212
I do have another Acoma Super Comtesse though, so I wlll be in touch shortly.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »
Looks like you've created your very own rally field there Barry!  ;D

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
Still room for a few more but need a big barn I think - they don't stack well in the garage.