Author Topic: MOT test every two years?  (Read 4346 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
MOT test every two years?
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
I guess you all read about the government proposal yesturday to change the MOT test requirement to every other year, what do you all think?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: MOT test every two years?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
I welcome the annual test on any vehicle I own or drive, newish or old, because I regard it as a 2nd pair of eyes and some level of independent assurance that all is reasonably present and correct.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
Dear Bob

My first reaction was that for modern cars the MOT should be mileage based as some cars on low mileages pass easily every year where as some new cars do incredible mileages in just one year, so can be quite dangerious after 3 years. The test is supposed to stop the worn out vehicles and could therefore end up being more stringent. The old cars I think still need a yearly test but at a reduced level and cost, as rust can still be an issue and that is not mileage related.

The degree of test on old cars will and can never be as stringent as for new cars as they were never designed to the same degree of accuracy or performance, and if we are not careful this could be another attempt to get  all old cars off the road.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »
This in part in line with Europe. However the French MOT takes a much more loose view making it clear that the MOT is a check on the car for important criteria to pass but perhaps not checking the less critical to result in a fail. The principle being that you have responsibility for your car, its condition and any damage that you thereafter cause. So if they advise you of a problem which you do not fix and it contributes to an accident your are in deep poo. It can be argued they have more room on their roads but none the less I like the way the do this. A bit more responsibility for each individual with a bit more willingness to remove privilege if you cannot manage your own lives would be a very good thing in my opinion. The Tories seem to be including it in their 'big society' rather than as something real. So we all continue to be treated like idiots and very likely the 2 year MOT will be all the more ridiculous for that. Maybe the German experience will be closer. Over there trailers have separate documentation and tests I believe and converted caravans and the like will see you strung up from the nearest lampost. Perhaps wise with the high speed autobahn being very much an important part of the country's motoring heritage. Yet they have those wonderful rule breaking temporary number plates which seem to fly in the face of the rest of their legislation. With such differing rules, expectations and implementation is it any wonder the Euro experiment is in a bit of a pickle.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
I can see both sides of the arguement, one things for sure, if it happens they will see to it that we will not be saving any money! When you have quite a few vehicles on the road like myself sometimes it feels like I spend half my life down at the MOT station so relief from that would be welcome. If it happens there will be an awfull lot of small MOT based garages going out of business.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
In 1960 the MOT test was introduced on cars over 10 years old.  Quite amazing to ponder as since say 1910 cars were a firm fixture on the Queens highway. 

So for half a decade cars could descend into utter decrepitude with no state finger wagging to get involved.  Over that single year one can only imagine what machines were scrapped.  I won't mourn the porridge but I'm sure some Prewar Racing Astons,Bentleys,Alfas and Bugattis were chopped up to make Ford Consuls.

Then as the years rolled on the postwar jewels were massacred.  8000 KR's were sold in the UK and I bet 95% of those were much better than the utter excreta that goes for huge sums on Evilbay.  Cooper S's, Lotus Cortina Mk1's, Series 1 E types, Rotten Italian exotica etc etc.  Oh well!         
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Worth remembering though that in 1960 the average car could barely reach 70 mph, and those cars which could go a lot faster sold in tiny numbers and drove on less congested roads. These days even a basic family car can do over 100 mph all day, the powerful cars now sell in hundreds of thousands not by the hundred, and they are usually regulated DOWN to a max of 140 mph.

I think MOT test by mileage is potentially a good option, but fast/aggressive drivers probably wear their cars out much sooner than calmer ones.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
I guess you all read about the government proposal yesturday to change the MOT test requirement to every other year, what do you all think?

In france, most micros dont need an MOT, since 3 wheelers are counted as motorbikes, so you dont need to MOT an Inter!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi