Author Topic: Aviva and electric cars  (Read 2970 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Aviva and electric cars
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Today I decided that I was not going to be held to ransome anymore by footman James over my G-wiz Insurance, I have been with them for a long time now  and long before I got the Wiz but loyalty counts for nothing with insurance companies, quite the reverse in fact, they wanted £100 more this year than last! I dropped into my local brokers as I was passing and got some quotes, I pay more than most anyway because my wife is on the policy with a provisional license. After coming up with some horrendous figures, the highest being £1300 the proprieter come into the office and said, try Aviva, I heard somewhere that they were keen to get a foothold into the emerging electric car insurance market.The member of staff made a quick call and Aviva quoted £140 less than what F/J wanted to extort out of me! A result I think! :) :) :) The moral of the story, if you drive an EV give Aviva a try.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:12:35 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Aviva and electric cars
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
Pity they named the company after a rather nasty car that used to rust out made by Fox Holes. Footpad James has been taken over by some other entity and all I hear is that premiums and cover have gone up and been reduced as suits. I used to use them, not least as you tended to get a nice brummy voice on the end of the 'phone suggesting that you were dealing with something British. As to insurers not attempting to keep customers, I do not understand. Has to be good business, but no they all want new business. Nutters.
Also do not use Budget as they are crooks. I am about to take them into litigation for effectively trying to stealing money with a fake credit card application. Unfortunately for them I have a letter from Visa showing the evidence which they have not seen yet. They will need to pay me to go away I think. So be careful as some of these companies are desperate enough to get money they are prepared to tread the edge of what is legal assuming they will get away with it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »
Surprisingly, I wish to jump to the defence of Footman&James who insure the Hamond Collection of static cars.  Their quote this year is the only insurance quote I have had (out of House Building & Contents, Pet Insurance and private Car insurance) which has gone down because of no claims bonus.  All my other quotes have gone up by at least 20%.  I speak as I find. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
Goes to show there can be winners and losers with all companies. I had my Berkeley special [6 years] followed by the Microcar Virgo, [another 6years] and the Wiz [2 years] one after the other with Footy James, no accidents, they still hiked up the premium every year untill my patients run out. Glad you are still getting a fair deal though Jean. I had a lot of trouble getting someone to give me static insurance for the Inter just on account of it not being registered, strange! Eventually got some through a company called Towergate, they were happy with it just having a chassis number.

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Hi, for what its worth I swopped away from Footy J a couple of years ago (price hikes and poor telephone response to queries.
Now with Hagerty just renewed today Saturday over the phone great service and price also wondered f I was joiningt he classic day run from Silverstone (their base) to Prodrive. As my schmitt is having steering and points issues and the Isetta is pulling too much to risk to the right on braking and I have to finish garden decking before garage time is likely I declined. Hope to have a little local run having tweaked brakes

Its Hagerty for me