Author Topic: Reliant Book: The Grand announcement  (Read 22996 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Reliant Book: The Grand announcement
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
 As some viewers over the past many years may recall, I have long just been about to become a published author with my Reliant three-wheelers 1935-2002 manuscript. It was as good as all done & dusted in 2006 with Trans-Pennine Publishing until first one disaster after another and death sunk the company. Always on the brink, my manuscript time & time again returned to the bottom drawer as the years creaked on. Other subjects & other intrests would move me on from the Reliant world but somewhere, somebody was clearly watching....

You may have noticed I have not been around much these past few months. In February I received, out of the blue, a letter saying that the former Trans Pennine projects had been picked up by Crecy Publishing of Manchester. There in the envelope was something I had never been able to wrest from Trans Pennine: A contract. But there were conditions. The manuscript had to be almost doubled in size within eight weeks, and more photos, many more....  Fortunately though I am not completely divorced from the Reliant world, and a quick call to Elvis Payne, of 3-wheelers.com & R3W saw him joining me as co-authour & so the last two months have seen our pens scratching often into the small hours.

Yesterday the official announcement of the book was made by Crecy Publishing, and today myself & Elvis make our official announcements, me here on the Rum Cars Forum & Elvis on R3W at this self same time.  For those who wish further proof, click here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reliant-Motor-Co-1935-2002/dp/1908347023

And here:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=9781908347022

At long last our task is done.   :)  Now, on 30th July 2011 we cast it to the crowd
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:47:21 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Elvis

• Occasional
    • 3-wheelers.com
Re: Reliant Book: The Grand announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
I'll buy one!   :)
1961 Reliant Regal Mk VI van

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
 I'll wait til it comes in the library.  ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Congratulations to both of you, and I hope it is successful.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
Well done Stuart and Elvis. Now what was that song? "It's now or never"  ;D  Put me down for one of the first copies, please. TA.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:21 PM »
Congratulations!  How might one go about acquiring an autographed copy after 30 July?  After all, there is currently a Rialto available within twenty miles of my house...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270736663419

All it needs is an engine and a fuel tank.  Regrettably, all I need right now is not another project.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »
Yep, should be a book signin', Yee Ha! (Oh sorry, that was a barn raisin'), at the National and at Reliant equivalent, is that this weekend though? All good advertising. So you cannot take special stock to Beaulieu? Pity, but could annex a bit of stand at the NEC later in the year. Should be no embarrassment to bang the drum if you skinned it.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
Dearv Stuart

Congratulations on your publishing achievements and I hope this is the first of many similar publications.

Would it be possible to sell some signed copies at the Open day at School House Farm on 31 July.

Perhaps Jean could persuaded to make it a Reliant dy as well.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »
Yes well done Stuart. Looks like you will have to take a good many copies to Jeans in July. "Stuart and Elvis" has a good ring about it, a rock duo maybe? ;)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
Well done indeed Stuart and Elvis. I am sure a book signing corner can be found on the Open Day on the 31st of July and also a book review for RUMCAR NEWS (any volunteers?).   Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
Dear Potential Book reviewers

The editorial deadline for the next edition of RCN is 15 May, so unless Stuart can supply a pre-production copy for review purposes it will not get into RCN 109. The following Editorial deadline is August 15th, just 14 days after the publication date so some serious reading and writing will be needed by the potential reviewer.

So does anybody fancy taking up the challenge?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 07:35:40 AM »
Of course the real money in books is to sell the film rights. Quinton Tarantino's 'History of Reliant' could be quite interesting! 'Carry on Piglet' anyone? Probobly better than the Hammerite house of horror home grown history with spot Micheal Ripper competition. Then there is the Bollywood version without a Reliant in so as not to upset religious minorities. Pixar version with American voiced hero, Tamwith', saving Birmingham, Alabama, from the Communist Koran fusion based North Korean baddie, Tuk Tuk. Then there is the merchandising which could ultimately see the Robin remade in Nottinghamshire or South Yorkshire thus starting production of the marque again. Personally I will settle for foot high cuddly Stuart and Elvis manikins.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »
 We're not quite sure how best to do the signed copies as Elvis & I live 80 miles apart & seldom go to the same events, but I daresay we'll sort something out once the first few books come off the press. Keep watching here for updates over the next few weeks.

Funny you should mention Pixar & Reliant Alan, have a look at the attached picture from "Cars 2".... 

Hmmm, foot-high cuddly Stuart & Elvis manikins....  Why am I getting scenes from Dr Who's "Spearhead from Space" & "Terror of the Autons" going through my mind...   :) 

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
We're not quite sure how best to do the signed copies as Elvis & I live 80 miles apart & seldom go to the same events, but I daresay we'll sort something out once the first few books come off the press. Keep watching here for updates over the next few weeks.

Funny you should mention Pixar & Reliant Alan, have a look at the attached picture from "Cars 2".... 

Hmmm, foot-high cuddly Stuart & Elvis manikins....  Why am I getting scenes from Dr Who's "Spearhead from Space" & "Terror of the Autons" going through my mind...   :) 

They also had a Janus in Cars 2, you probably saw it, its on the foirum.
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
Great minds think alike, there. If only they would employ me in Hollywood they could have the benifit of all my ideas rather than just a few!  I might even turn to going to a synagogue as it seems to help. Has Hollywood done the life of the Prophet Mohammed yet?