Author Topic: Strange brake problem.  (Read 10887 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Strange brake problem.
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
Dear Bob

So apart from the lubrication of the rubber seals, your suggestion was not so stupid.

It sounds like Mercury is quite agressive.

What could you use in place of a rubber seal?

Perhaps you should patent the idea before somebody else does.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
Chris, from what I hear if you start off with clean pipe work and new cyclinder rubbers silicone is a better option.

Ian, I did still feel some wheel movement after tighening the axle nut but it turned out to be a knackered wheel! The countersunk holes showed excessive wear and enlargement and as a result were just not biting down fully, it looks like someone had been driving the car with the wheel nots loose. I swaped it over with the spare and it tightened down fully, no free play at all now thank goodness! The car is now feeling pretty nice to drive and I'm warming to it.

Anyone got a good spare Isetta wheel?  The one piece tubeless type?

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
Apologies if following is obvious but I have seen rears set up with bits missing/modified poorly etc
I think that there should be (starting from brake drum ) a conical threadless spacer the wheel right (wrong!) way round
a large washer then the actual threaded shouldered nut-the big meaty washer goes against the wheel and up the shoulder so takes up about 3 or 4 mm
Do you have these? the stud ends up about 5 or 6 mm from nut top  --Maybe this makes sense!
Still Paignton

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
is there any rear wheel movement vertically or horizontally? maybe  splines or bearing!  there is a newer bearing that has a groove and a grease nipple can be added to the casting to enable extra lube  as the oil swishing around in the chaincase may struggle to get to the bearing ? comments welcome

Should be no play. There is no great prob with lub on these bearings to my knowledge. The oil from the chain gets around enough to do the job on open bearings but you could use sealed bearings OK I guess.

Slight change in plan. NAF is not going on the road but Sarge is. Tatty red Schmitt. Should be starting it today with a good clean up and looking at the front suspension and steering. So hopefully be on the road in a couple of weeks depending on the Van (needs MOT and has tasks doing for contrat at Sandown Book Fair and moving a 22 ton Cotswold stone roof from Hay to home a pallet at a time amongst other things. If the Goggo is sorted we can heckle Nick with his Nobel and see if we can get some unified visits going, not least a workshop day to sort out issues. Roger is now working on his Schmitt. Graham's car is already going. Might finally get a cell together. That might kick several others round the county into action as well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
OOPS  forgot the big 4 hole thick steel ring!  this goes against the wheel Then the meaty individual washers (4) then the shouldered wheel nuts

must remember not to post when 200  miles away from car also not after going to see Stan Web and band Chicken Shack live!! last saw him in 1967 at Torquay Town Hall
Double Diamond, Wrexham Lager, Starlight bitter and just passed driving test No2 (for car) test no1 for bubble car passed a year earlier age 16 Those were the days

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Yep, did my driving tests in the same order.  About the rear wheel set up, yes you are stating the obvious but much appreciated all the same! Hope the sun is still shining in Paignton. I was down in Looe last september, love the place!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
I love the West Country! Looe is nice, but just a bit further along is Polpero. I have played at the festival there a few times and had a fantastic time. Loads of shops selling Cornish pasties, Cornish ice cream, fish and chips and great beers, like Sharp's Doombar and St Austel ales. Once past Solstice Park everything is better!

My Trojan used to wander a bit, so Goggo asked what rear tyre pressure I had and I told him that it was set as in the handbook. He told me to put it higher and it work wonders.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:45:44 AM by marcus »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »
1967 at Torquay Town Hall
Double Diamond, Wrexham Lager, Starlight bitter

Starlight Bitter, good grief, 18 pints of that and you got a bit merry!  What happened to Double Diamond. I believe it was one of the first beers brewed specifically for canning/keg along with Newcastle Brown Ale (Dog) which is still very much with us.
Cannot say I have had Wrexham Lager and I think I am probably rather pleased. Most British lager is crap and I feel that Welsh heavy industry would produce beer drinkers traditionally.

Newquay Steam Lager, mmm! Doom Bar, even better and available at my local hostelry as the option to the session beer if your just popping in.

Sorry, its RUM car not BEERcar. The two things used to go together like Campervan and trailer though. Ho hum.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
Well I drink very little these days, but when I do I always go for quality rather than quantity. Cheap beer, cheap coffee and cheap bread are a waste of money. There's a pub quite near the Tatty Sark in greenwich which sells Doombar, and catering largely to younger and trendier people than I led me to believe that it would be badly kept and poured. I was amazed to find it was absolutely perfect, and even two of my nieces liked it.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face