Author Topic: Bromley Pageant.  (Read 5909 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Bromley Pageant.
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Rumcars was represented at Bromley today under the auspices of the Hienkel Trojan archive thingy club stand [sorry, cant remember full title]. Two Trojans and an Isetta were on show on the stand and despite the inclement weather the event was enjoyed by all three of us, Myself, Heir Shepherd and Jackie Lane. Jackie was particularly overjoyed as her ambition to get here Trojan to her local car show was fulfilled but not without incident! Now she has familiarised herself with the fuel tap and knows which way is on and which is off I'm sure the next showing will be smoother! Sorry Jackie, just couldn't resist! :D :D :D It was nice to see you both today and nice it be invited especially as I bought an Isetta instead of a Trojan!

ps, A picture should be appearing in next weeks Classic car weekly.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Bromley Pageant.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »
The TAT seem to be the active element of Trienkeling in the South, and the Wirral. Truthfully though if you look at what sort of events are being done and who goes around the country then other than the Maniacs we are getting back to the torch bearers, quite a few of whom pre-date the mass formation of clubs and Burford. Sitting as I do as a club secretary I wonder what the vast majority of owners expect or want from owning their cars as they are extraordinary reluctant to pitch up and get involved. We are fast getting to a situation where if the Reliant Club's religious single wheel first, 4 pot Irrational Reliant Association section, bombed the National and took out 50 people there would be no active Microcar scene. I am at a loss as to how to get folk active short of going round and fixing their cars for free and shepherding ( Ha! ) them round. I can't help feeling that a lot of those cars fixed to work would promptly get sold for a profit.
The only answer I have come up with is to do my own thing and invite people to join in. It works a bit but ultimately I get to enjoy myself without having to do a lot of organisational work for nothing like I used too. TAT had a good Bromley and sounds like everyone else missed pretty much. That's the way to do it I think.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Mike phoned me a little while ago, and I suddenly realised that I had completely forgotten about Bromley due to the fire in our yard, and the back-breaking work we have had to do to get things sorted out. It was 3 weeks ago today that the fire happened, and only the tail end of last week when we got our electricity supply re-connected. Those 3 weeks sometimes seem to be 5 minutes ago, next moment they seem to be a life-time ago, and I can barely recall any details, just the remorseless clean up work.

Really sorry I missed it, and huge apologies to Mike, Bob and Jackie for my oversight. I would love to have seen Jackie's car working at last, and to see Bob and Thumper.

I think I also missed the RUM work party, sorry folks. I start this week with a big back log of chores and paperwork to sort out, then hopefully get back to proper work in one or two days. I have no had time to look at DUF since before the fire, but I think our van (which got some fire damage) managed to shield DUF from the intense heat and flames, and if it is a nice day tomorrow (or soon!) I will take the covers off. There are a few small burn marks on the outer covers, but mercifully I don't think any have got through to the car.

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
Bob the BEAST ,
     You've been telling tales again . Had I had the back bit of trim in  my Bubble  I would have seen it IMMEDIATLY ,
     however this was Not to be on this occasion as iffy brakes & an rapid Email to the H.T. club spare chap NICK Haddon
     ( let it be said that he is a STAR by the way ) & the ensuing work for MOT  ( by GOGO also a STAR for putting in the time  to rectify the faulty brakes &  take Bubbly to MOT ) prevented the signage on the petrol switch
     from being put on ;  telling me what was on , or off , or reserve.
         However , whenever you make a horrible , or daft mistake ... you certainly remember it .. part of a learning curve ..
      one that I trust I will NEVER make again . As I shall keel over with embarrassment .
        Despite the rain & cold  , most of the day we three Brits sat it out til about 3.45pm , packed up , & shot off home.
        Certainly it took me all evening to get properly warm . Well despite  it being June  it felt more like March or April .
         Watch out for Mikes numbers car & Bob's Thumper in Classic Car Weekly in one or two weeks time .
            Perhaps they will autograph my copy ?
                       Thanks Chaps for an amusing , & entertaining day . Missed you Marcus & your music , hope to catch up
                                with you in the week !!    Jackie

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Both car and driver benefit from use as both need 'setting up'. It is not like riding a bike as there are things you forget and getting the feel of the controls is part of the learning curve leading to great expeditions. Should be fun from here and Bob is really only worried you will be burning him off soon and getting in before the inevitable?

If your perspex windows have gone I have a load of used ones you can pick over, Marcus.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
Cheers Al! I might be in touch for a big nearside window to replace an aging one, once I clear a mountainous back-load of chores and paper work.

As it is sunny today I did take the covers off this morning, one thin outer cover to hold down 2 aging plastic tarpaulins, one folded in half to make 4 layers, then a fabric dust under-cover to protect the paint. A few embers and burn holes all the way through to the dust cover, and loads of bits of charred wood up to tennis ball size under DUF, but no apparent damage to paint, trim or windows.

The fact that the burning embers went through 4 layers of plastic but not beyond the dust cover, but did not set the tarps alight after all that sunny weather, or do any damage to the car is what I would call an extremely close shave, cue Wallace and Grommit music....
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
Thats a result Marcus! Will you be changing your mind and keeping her now? I hope so because if you sold it and bought another at a later date you would have to go through the whole sorting out process all over again.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
Both car and driver benefit from use as both need 'setting up'. It is not like riding a bike as there are things you forget and getting the feel of the controls is part of the learning curve leading to great expeditions. Should be fun from here and Bob is really only worried you will be burning him off soon and getting in before the inevitable?

If your perspex windows have gone I have a load of used ones you can pick over, Marcus.

Jackie can overtake me in Bubbly any time, apart from Short bursts to sample top speed I will be cruising no faster than 45mph, I want to hang on to my exhaust valve thanks. Sorry Jackie, only mentioned the fuel tap caper as it was all part of the days giggles, life can be boring without the odd Gaff!

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
Hi Bob  you rotter ,
      Oh YES I know , however my learning curve seems to getting longer by the day , maybe it will get better , so I must not give up hope ,  yet . At least now I am an enthusiast WITH a running car ( got my GOLD badge from Bromley to prove same )
  instead of an enthusiast without one . Thanks to Mike S for putting in the work to get me there , its been a long haul .
    Both Mike & Edwin knew my Dad very well . I'm sure Dad would be cheering & grinning to see me with Bubbly, he certainly  would have enjoyed the Bromley banter                                     Jackie

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »
Hi Jackie, as Alan said, there is no substitute for regular driving of your car to learn all its foibles. Why not set a goal of driving it to Jeans on the openday? Maybe going in convoy with someone, I will be going on the Saturday otherwise I would have volunteered. Maybe us South Easterners should organise a little run out of our own sometime, how about Bromley to Brighton? Is that too far? What about Bromley to Bermondsey? I'm sure Marcus, Mike and Steve would be up for it. What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:02:41 AM by Bob Purton »

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
Hi Bob ,
   Well Bromley to Bermondsey sounds OK , I need to bed in my brakes first before attempting further than a few miles round the block , but I took Bubbly to a customers with samples yesterday . They were amused by Bubbly .   Its actually wonderful to drive her , generating the smiles & waves from the  little  & the big kids  .
       Even one of my delivery drivers on Monday wanted a snap of her.
          As to  Rumcars Open Day I do plan to go on Saturday & B&B Saturday night . Either driving Bubbly or trailering her down if
     I can work out the logistics of the Trailer in time .I would be game for a  shortish run around Staplehurst if we have one .
       not 40 miles but say 20 to perhaps a couple of places of interest , the farm museum , the Morgan collection , a tea shop or  even Pub for a swift orange juice .It doesn't take much to make me a happy Trojan driver again .
I wont be racing though , even if others may want me to go off into orbit as I go over the hump back bridge near the pub .
            Hope Chris reads this , is he back from  the nuptials in Croatia yet ?       Cheers     Jackie

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
I think its a really nice idea to have a little run out from Jeans, lets see if we can interest a few others and decide on a place to visit.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
If you look at this weeks Classic car Weekly news paper you will spot three suspicious looking characters standing alongside a Trojan, the famous numbers car at the Bromley Pageant.  The paper also contains a small article about a Frisky found in America.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »
Is the Numbers car owned by The Count, rah ah ah! of Sesame Street, Lee? Probably makes me the Snuffleoplious or what ever it was called.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
I often wondered what the numbers represented and my theory is its Goggo's bank balance!