Author Topic: Bubblecar run from London to Venice, summer 2012  (Read 8932 times)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Bubblecar run from London to Venice, summer 2012
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
Hello all,  I think it would be a great idea to do a re-run of the M.P.H.W. Bubblecars to Venice run that took place in about 1958. Five cars took part, a Scootacar mk1, A Heinkel, a nobel, a Frisky and a schmitt. All the info I have on the original run is a one page article with photos on page 75 in the Messerschmitt Gold Portfolio book. I've mentioned this idea on the schmitt club forum and have already had a few people that are on for it. If anyone has more info on the original 1958 trip then please let me know. I'm sure some of the eleven people who took part must still be alive. We don't even know if they got to Venice ! If you would like to join the 2012 group drop me a line. It won't cost loads of money. Each person will just pay their own expenses as we go along. We may take a back up car & trailer ( as they did on the 1958 run ) and split that cost evenly between everyone that takes part.  It wont be a race and we'll try to stick to the original route as much as we can, once we know it. regards,  Nick.     
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Bubblecar run from London to Venice, summer 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:01 AM »
Dear Nick

Sounds like a great idea.

There must be plenty of microcar collectors on route that we could call in for a glass of vino, and visit other interesting venues.

Only one problem, You may not find it easy to drive through the streets of Venice ( Unless you have a bubble car!!).

It would certainly make a welcome break from the Olympics in London.

I may not have a suitable vehicle but I would be willing to drive a support vehicle.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
Could have a punt at driving round Venice! Could save time by driving from Scunthorpe to Birmingham where they have more canals. Not quite the same appeal somehow.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »
Could have a punt at driving round Venice!

Very good, but they're Gondolas, not Punts!

Sounds like an interesting idea.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »

Isn't that an American who's lost all his investments?
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:16 AM »
Hello all,  I think it would be a great idea to do a re-run of the M.P.H.W. Bubblecars to Venice run that took place in about 1958. Five cars took part, a Scootacar mk1, A Heinkel, a nobel, a Frisky and a schmitt. All the info I have on the original run is a one page article with photos on page 75 in the Messerschmitt Gold Portfolio book. I've mentioned this idea on the schmitt club forum and have already had a few people that are on for it. If anyone has more info on the original 1958 trip then please let me know. I'm sure some of the eleven people who took part must still be alive. We don't even know if they got to Venice ! If you would like to join the 2012 group drop me a line. It won't cost loads of money. Each person will just pay their own expenses as we go along. We may take a back up car & trailer ( as they did on the 1958 run ) and split that cost evenly between everyone that takes part.  It wont be a race and we'll try to stick to the original route as much as we can, once we know it. regards,  Nick.     

Here is the article
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
I have that article in a book somewhere. Bubble Cars and a lovely Bristol Freighter to fly them in. It would be great to charter one, but sadly there are no airworthy ones at present.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »

In the same way that an Alfa Romeo is not a Fiat these days? Putting a few pointy bits on it and painting it black does not stop it being a Punt.

Actually I think technically a Gondola is a Scull as it is meant to be rowed by a pair of hands but is now traditionally powered from the rear by one hand using an oar. OK I will go away now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

chavattov

• retro pierro
  • Occasional
  • retro-pierro scooter & microcars
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
as i have a frisky sport i was interested on the topic. and when i look the picture of the article i was surprise to see that the frisky sport car is in LHD.   someone could explane this ?
i thougt only 5 frisky sport were exported in USA in chicago or a nother city saloon in 1958?

i normaly come at your national meeting begeening of september with the frisky

regards

pierrick
inter 175a, frisky sport, reyonnah, scootacar

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
as i have a frisky sport i was interested on the topic. and when i look the picture of the article i was surprise to see that the frisky sport car is in LHD.   someone could explane this ?
i thougt only 5 frisky sport were exported in USA in chicago or a nother city saloon in 1958?

i normaly come at your national meeting begeening of september with the frisky

regards

pierrick

Hi Pierrick

If I'm right, that was one of the works cars. I guess it is best to ask John Meadows about it, since I'm not sure.

Jonathan
Mopeds:

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
Hi Pierrick
The FriskySport was launched at the 1957 Earls Court Motor Show and production commenced in March 1958.  Henry Meadows (Vehicles) ltd made a batch of  LHD  Frisky Sports and exported them to explore their potential. These were made and sent off,  before the Frisky had been released to the British public. The early export cars are identical to the first FriskySports and can be identified by having detachable rear tail section and dummy rear air vents

Later on in 1960, Frisky Cars (1959) Exports Ltd tried again and a few more LHD cars were built and exported but with little success. 

John
The car in the run WUK 314 was a factory car.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
Hi Pierrick
The FriskySport was launched at the 1957 Earls Court Motor Show and production commenced in March 1958.  Henry Meadows (Vehicles) ltd made a batch of  LHD  Frisky Sports and exported them to explore their potential. These were made and sent off,  before the Frisky had been released to the British public. The early export cars are identical to the first FriskySports and can be identified by having detachable rear tail section and dummy rear air vents

Later on in 1960, Frisky Cars (1959) Exports Ltd tried again and a few more LHD cars were built and exported but with little success. 

John
The car in the run WUK 314 was a factory car.

Is it a surviving car? If so, it may be nice if the owner (if he lives in the UK) brings his car to the run.

JP
Mopeds: