Author Topic: Hotrod Isetta falls apart and has to be scrapped!  (Read 5415 times)

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
Re: Hotrod Isetta falls apart and has to be scrapped!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, what is this 'hyabusa' business about? I saw the advert, but couldn't make too much sense of it apart from an expensive steering wheel for sale. Is it someone who is 'high' and 'abuses' his perfectly adequate Isetta? Or is this Mr / Mrs Hyab from the USA? Please someone tell me!
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
Its a 1300cc Suzuki motorcycle engine.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »
Or is this Mr / Mrs Hyab from the USA? Please someone tell me!

Thems and the car and the steering wheel are in the UK.

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
For a short while I owned the body! Bought from an enthusiast who bought it from the last person to frighten himself on the road
He kept the font door and sold me his old door and body. I in turn sold the body, the old front door, a LHD chassis and most of the bits needed to return it to its former glory to a car restorer from Bromsgrove??? I was expecting to see it all done at the NEC last year. I await a sighting  likely  to be worth 1000 points in your eye spy book I guess.
Similar story with my 522VHU red three wheeler sold locally to someone whose friend was an expert body man seveal years ago now and again I was expecting to see it at local shows. Is it alive, is it dead, is on hols in the far east?? I have no idea.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
Got it! Hayabusa is Japanese for 'peregrine falcon': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Hayabusa

:)
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
Not the Terry Moore car then? The one on Top Gear that later leapt a wall to be rebuilt even faster as a four wheeler and blew off half the dragsters at Santa Pod.  Be afraid, very afraid. There is another one out there.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEC2_6jyvU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL would like to have seen the ground zipping past, instead of a shot of the dash!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
A little birdie tells me the steering wheel selling is pulling our leg and that it now resides in the USA. Being scrapped would have been favourite, exiling it to the USA would have been a close second choice.

Jim, looks like you are behind the times!?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
A little birdie tells me the steering wheel selling is pulling our leg and that it now resides in the USA. Being scrapped would have been favourite, exiling it to the USA would have been a close second choice.

Jim, looks like you are behind the times!?

Not sure that is quite the best place to be, behind The Times, what with the phone tapping scandal and all. Looks like another successful export to America from Britain there! Need the Isetta as a getaway car.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
well, Fred Parker from the UK posted back in 2008 to an Isetta board that he had an accident with the car and was going to scrap it, or break it up as it was too dangerous to drive except on the track.  I thought this car was long gone to bits.

Fred purchased the car back in 2006 or something on eBay. I don't know if it was a UK creation though.
I don't have any eBay records that go back that far.  I suppose someone could just ask him.  :-\

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
The little birdie I refered to knows Fred well.  Just reporting what I've been told but I cant verify it.