Author Topic: What would you sugest?  (Read 21833 times)

Fighting Robot man

• Just Starting
What would you sugest?
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Hi

I'm new to the forum and am interested in getting a micro car I have in the past owned, restored and ran an Isetta 300 but now would like to get back into the micro car scene, but I would really like a smaller car, either a Bambi or Replicar something most people turn there noses up at because they are ugly and 70's-80's but What I could do with is some advise on these and other similar cars. what to buy, how much and were?

thanks in anticipation

Craig

Fighting Robot man

• Just Starting
Re: What would you sugest?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
At this point I was expecting some Buy a Peel 50 comment or something like that, but no just nothing at all. Dose no one have any comments. or advise?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Hi. Sorry, I meant to reply last night but forgot. Have you ever had a Bamby or Cursor before? Do you intend to drive your microcar? If so the two cars suggested are not a good choice, almost undrivable. The Cursor is probably the better of the two as it was engineer designed but still has an engine /transmission totally unsuitable for a microcar, the Bamby was designed by a painter and decorator I'm told and is a death trap, believe me I know having owned one and having done serious mods on it to make it just about drivable. I can only recommend one of the mainstream bubble cars if you want to do serious driving. Keep us posted on what you decide on.  Regards, Bob

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
i guess it doesnt work like that really . people do or dont reply to a post as they see fit . if they want to reply in any way that moves the subject on they will . many days there are few replies to posts particularly during the week , anyway where do you start with a question like - what would you suggest ? i reckon ,so far, the members have given you their reply - they dont
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
A rather generalised question with a breadth of answers. Several observations. Buying through other peoples recommendations will not give you the car you want but the one they did. Funny thing is it might just be what they are selling! Best job is get about it and check out examples of the brand first.  Generally this avoids disappointment.  Rumcar do is just coming as well. Why buy one of the Brit jobs if you fancy using the car or want stuff from the 70's/80's. The French Fridges are cheaper and better. If you are after a white elephant, go for it. Either is perfect and we love them for it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Fighting Robot man

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
Many thanks

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
The French Fridges are cheaper and better.

Cheaper, certainly.  Also better?  My, that is unfortunate.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:22 AM »
But that is an opinion. So already I am pushing you away from your intended purchase.
I wonder if deciding on a classic is often based on first car, dad's car or the car that made an impression when young so as to narrow the field a bit. It defines and simplifies the search. It is actually a curse to be like my type and be more likely to buy things as they look interesting. I pay up front to find I do not like cars rather than being sensible and checking them out first or being satisfied with one or two types and sticking to them. I am fortunate that there have been enough people who are interested, or think they are, in stuff I decide I do not like. A task made easier if you improve the thing in your ownership rather than making things worse. So I have rarely been lumbered with a dead weight. However I have a pretty clear idea of what I think are good cars because of all these experiences and also what are duds. Should I really influence folk with my image of classic motoring unless they ask? Probably not. A more specific question is easier and would tend to be more factual probably. Like a Freeway, say. I can state I would not own one because it is a crap design. I ignore their good points. The specific reason is they cocked up the front suspension therefore you live with it or make a modification. Does not stop people enjoying them though. So advice is great but no substitute to getting your hands on a real machine be it owned or 'borrowed' and then creating a discussion and listen to the fallout. Just like I used not to!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Fighting Robot man

• Just Starting
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
Some interesting points, and as for the drive before you buy, this for me is a lesson learnt,
I have at the moment a Bond bug and can't stand the thing!
can't put my finger on why. and after driving an Isetta over 200 miles in one day, I do Know what they can be like to drive,
I am looking for something unusual to look at, and to drive round the village and town I live in and close to. So most journeys
would be at sub 30mph and only about 2 miles in duration.
I nearly got a Bamby that was for sale on E Bay recently, I was to look at it in the afternoon and the person in the morning bought it!
I am looking for your opinions on the smaller microcars, How they drive, value for money, reliability and spares availability and so on.
I know it is your opinion and will take that into account when I decide what to buy.
So far the thread has been helpful so keep the comments comming. ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
A Bond perhaps ? very driveable , easy engine spares little rust ( earlier ones ) and that little party trick of turning in there own length . there day is yet to come !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »
Some interesting points, and as for the drive before you buy, this for me is a lesson learnt,
I have at the moment a Bond bug and can't stand the thing!
can't put my finger on why. and after driving an Isetta over 200 miles in one day, I do Know what they can be like to drive,
I am looking for something unusual to look at, and to drive round the village and town I live in and close to. So most journeys
would be at sub 30mph and only about 2 miles in duration.
I nearly got a Bamby that was for sale on E Bay recently, I was to look at it in the afternoon and the person in the morning bought it!
I am looking for your opinions on the smaller microcars, How they drive, value for money, reliability and spares availability and so on.
I know it is your opinion and will take that into account when I decide what to buy.
So far the thread has been helpful so keep the comments comming. ;D

Would you live in the Wantage area? Isetta owned, Bug for sale, prior classic nut status....

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
I know you said you are looking for something more unusual than an Isetta, but as soon as you are asking for opinions: I remember a long time ago sitting in the back of Dad's car playing 'spot the Isetta'. Since I was four years old, I must have known that I wanted one, one day. I still enjoy the shape and the way it drives, but I may be on the wrong forum here. My early infatuation, it seems, has turned into a life-long passion. At least, until a well-known bloke passed on a Nobel to me. Now I love them both (the cars that is!)
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
The Nobel's a good choice as an entry level car, though underpowered it has fairly basic mechanics. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the ride except for the quote in the owners manual "hold the wheel lightly as the car steers by itself", or something along those lines. What about a Frisky, Villiers powered, hydraulic brakes, looks everything came out of a Morris at some point and it's another car that's currently underrated.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:21:37 PM by blob »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
my gran had a morris minor so you could say i came out of one at one time - i am also underated  :)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
Schmitt.  All things to all men..
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini