Author Topic: micro trailers  (Read 2215 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
micro trailers
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »
hi quick question . 3 wheeler one wheel at front i.e. bond /gordon etc.

TRAILER TO LIFT ONLY YOUR FRONT WHEEL OFF THE GROUND YES/NO

THANKS FOR ADVICE  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: micro trailers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
Isnt that what they call a towing dolly? Try reversing whilst towing a three wheel on one of those!!!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »
well i was mainly thinking of driving to rallies in one of the 6 forward gears my car is equipped with . you just make things hard for yourself bob, it's time to take things a little easier  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Of course but sooner or later you will find yourself having to reverse, say you take a wrong turn, into a cul de sac, just pulling a trailer one soon learns the knack of reversing but with a dolly it behaves in a completely uncontrolable way, only answer is to unhitch and turn it manualy. Or is it just me??

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
If you have a passenger they can steer the dolly car to lead it round in the desired direction. Can I watch?

Towing, it depends where the drive is and if that drive is going to be lubricated, out of gear etc etc. You are not meant to tow DAFs for instance. In some vehicles the gearbox can turn without being lubed by the engine splashing about. Others the chain gets no lubrication if it is running backwards. So Bond MInicar fine. Gordon drives one rear wheel I think so it would need a check out for potential wear.
Also the law on dollies is rather confusing now. They are really meant for the motor trade to move breakdown vehicles and the car has its road wheels on the ground so has to be legally drivable yet I can see a claim failing if the driver is not insured to use a dolly ie is a trader. Either way they will argue this is not constituting normal use and therefore an accepted risk. This is more European harmonised rules as in many countries dollies are strictly blood wagon equipment. Yet I know there is a weight limit below which the dolly can be un-braked so it maybe the older rules here apply whereas the new apply to braked dollies now often fitted with twin wheel sets. I used to have access to a MacArdle dolly which I did miles with. We hardly ever use it now as none of the lads fancy getting pinched.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »
thanks for the advise lads .pretty much how i was thinking otherwise they would be much more common. easy to store though , i have literally no space . guess i might have to drive one of the blasted things eh  ;)