Author Topic: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update  (Read 36814 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
When I re-appeared back to the micro-world in 2002 I thought that there would be a friendly bunch of people out there. But now I'm very disappointed in the scene. People bickering about "their" make of car and what they are worth, sod the others with cars that they don't like or care to see. What is the matter with all you people?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:25:54 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
hang on a mo rob ! who are you disagreeing with , i thought we were just saying how welcoming we would be , and who mentioned what they were worth ?

- nite nite sleep tight and sweet dreams too
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
I am not disagreeing with anyone. Just saying what is in my mind about the bickering and money talk that goes on in this forum since I found it in 8 or 9 years ago. Most boring!

"nite nite sleep tight and sweet dreams too"  Never have any.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:54:17 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
Well last weekend at the Norwich rally two cars got a lot of attention and were most interesting , funny enough both were Reliants. Well one was a safety Seven and the other a Mk2 Regal convertable. Both under 700cc and hence microcars at a microcar rally, whats wrong with that? Nowt!  Would I want to see a field full of 850cc Robins and Rialtos at the National? No not particularly, as much as I like them because they are not microcars. Much the same as it annoys me when I go to a vintage motorcycle show and see a load of new Harley Davidsons. Surely its an issue of definition?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
. Al, you and the BUMS should join us as it your kind of thing and not that far from your Cumbrian Estate.

If and when I am clear of idiot family matters and on top of the projects in hand I have marked a Scottish touring week as a to do. Sounds like my sort of thing. I still want to do a Schmitt up the Hebrides, or would it be down? Such things need a sorted car and no time issues spoiling the fun. Some BUMS would partake given the lead I think, though I could be on my own Island hopping.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
why forge a bridge if there is nothing on the other side?

Well the French one become a tourist attraction. Not sure that helps the debate though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
Would I want to see a field full of 850cc Robins and Rialtos at the National? No not particularly, as much as I like them because they are not microcars. Much the same as it annoys me when I go to a vintage motorcycle show and see a load of new Harley Davidsons. Surely its an issue of definition?
I partially agree with Bob here. I would not want to see a field full of 850cc Robins and Rialtos at a microcar rally. It's not from prejudice, the same is equally true for Bond Equipes, AC Aces, Allard J2s or Heinkel or Messerschmidt bombers. I'd be very happy to see Reliant Regals. . This doesn't mean that related products from significant manufacturers can't be a small part of the show particularly if that encourages obscure microcar related things of interest to be encouraged out of the woodwork, but a 'Microcar' show has to have a clear focus. The RUMCars general definition is perfect "economy vehicles with either three or four wheels, powered by petrol engines of no more than 700cc or battery electric propulsion, and manufactured since 1945, but this can be varied if justified by vehicle interest ".

I was interested to note the forum's spell checker suggested Heineken as a replacement for Heinkel! :)
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

I was interested to note the forum's spell checker suggested Heineken as a replacement for Heinkel! :)
[/quote]

Haaaaah! Cheers Mines a half!!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
 As Daniel wouldn't do it, I've done it, with the attached post on the R3W forum....

Once again Daniel Rodd has been doing his usual trick of moaning on the Rumcars Forum of how unfriendly & unwelcoming the microcar world is to the Reliant world. I cannot help thinking most of you have been coloured by events which took place years ago. As the old adage goes; "The past is a different place". Times have changed, attitudes must move on, in BOTH worlds. Daniel has been offered the chance to forge the first bridgehead but he refuses. Therefore I will do it...

On behalf of the ENTIRE microcar world, I extend an invitation to ALL pre-1975 Reliant three-wheelers and all Rebels, Kittens, Foxes, Tempests, etc etc etc to come and join the bubblecars at the Atwell-Wilson Motor Museum at Calne, Wiltshire from 1st - 4th September. The weekend involves both driving and showing for anyone to do as much or as little as they like.  Full details can be seen at http://www.national-microcar-rally.co.uk/ 

Let us not spend our time moaning about what has gone before. We can't alter the past but we CAN build the future. Give it the chance and bring the Reliant’s to Wiltshire...

It's up to everyone now...

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
What engine size are fox's then Stuart, 850cc? Was that intentional or a  blunder? Are we going to invite all 850cc Austin mini's?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
 Tis known as meeting half way....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
There is no problem with other classics arriving to be a part of the event. It is as simple as guiding them to the guest area for non microcars. We want folk to participate but at the same time it is a Microcar Rally and other cars add something and hopefully their pilots a lot more. The only concession is to be asked to park separately, possibly marshalled if numbers of a marque arrive to place them all together as well, thus recognising the effort of turnout. If successful the invites will be reciprocated and micros can guest at Reliant events, as they have done up north. Since this as a Bond Bug organised event it would seem odd not to have a few Rolys about.
Rob is quite correct that certain areas of activity and folk have become insular - the Messerschmitts have always been very bad at this. The older events were not exclusive and had a unity in doing things with unwanted machinery underlying the thing, creating a great vibe. This has got lost along the way to many of the vehicles becoming desirable and attracting obsessive behaviour. There is no need for the rally to exhibit or obey these trends and while I have no great love for Reliant I am in no way big headed enough to think I cannot learn from talking to the enthusiasts for them. Give them space to develop themselves and it should add to proceedings. The day we start banning folk from attending or driving them away in marque apartheid is the day the little wheels fall off the whole thing and the scene is something to be avoided. Personally I would like to Vintage Scooters and ICs invited as well as they have common heritage. Again placed to one side but cherished.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »
al your wandering again . agree with your opinion on rallies and contents thereof - but what french ones are tourist attractions . and come to that your plan for a hebrides trip is a bit off topic for a national rally update   ::)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
is it because reliants are still being percieved as being common? there are less than 150 Regals left on the road,and under 3000 of all three wheeled models of any age.
around 60 Foxes,and 200 Kittens.
certain sidevalve reliants can be counted on 2 hands,my mk4 van was the sole survivor.
The Rialto is 30 next year.When the national first started surely the cars could only have been 10-20 years old?!

I most probably will go,because i love most microcars,Bonds and Friskys in particular,and invacars of course.
Im afraid Stuart your "advert" comes accross as very excluding to me.i dont want it to turn into a debate about wether reliants are micros or not,i know they arent in the techincal sense(although this varies all over the place) the newer reliants are virtually the same underneath and in concept as the first 1952 Regal,they just moved with the times.in my opinion,the lightweight construction,grp body,three wheel configuration(and yes they are small,park one next to a fiesta and see for yourself!)and being bourne out of the fuel rationing era,is enough for me.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
will you never be happy. suspect your choice of car is based on the fact you need a bigger car to accommodate  the chip on your shoulder  >:(