Author Topic: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update  (Read 36839 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Re Al's comment about people turning up in non micro classics being filtered off into a seperate parking area, thats exactly what took place at Norwich last weekend, there were a few later Reliants and some of those horrid home made trikes in the guests area and I didnt hear anyone complain . It kept the rally field for microcars and the guests were unoffended.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
Dear Friends

Regarding the plastic and metal issue,

When Jean told me that we offered two subcriptions as a prize for the best metal and plastic car at the show, I was confused, Who would want two subscriptions as a prize. A bit like the old joke First prize is a Lada, second prize is two Lada's. Now I understand that it is two catagories so they have to be kept seperate.

Perhaps if I can persuade Jeff to give Rumcar a space between the line of plastic cars and the metal cars, then Rumcar members can park near the Gazebo and those that are not can park next to them. 

Metal Metal Metal Metal Rumcar Plastic Plastic Plastic

Does that sound like a suitable plan?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
al your wandering again . agree with your opinion on rallies and contents thereof - but what french ones are tourist attractions . and come to that your plan for a hebrides trip is a bit off topic for a national rally update   ::)

In reverse order Grant proposed a question which I answered. It had nothing to do with the National really. He is frustrated, if that is the correct word, that I do not come out to play at events I suggest are what should be going on and he puts a lot of time into organising. A valid point.

The French bridge at Aviagon, spelling?, was built from one side but not ever linked to the other. A failure that become a tourist attraction. Satire then on Dan building a Bridge to nowhere. It lost impact due to the fast input of postings before my answer. This answer was unnecessary but inclined to be humorous.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
they just moved with the times.

Move with the times? YOUR BARRED!!!!!! Oh dear he might be right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:49:36 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Dear Friends

Regarding the plastic and metal issue,

When Jean told me that we offered two subcriptions as a prize for the best metal and plastic car at the show, I was confused, Who would want two subscriptions as a prize. A bit like the old joke First prize is a Lada, second prize is two Lada's. Now I understand that it is two catagories so they have to be kept seperate.

Perhaps if I can persuade Jeff to give Rumcar a space between the line of plastic cars and the metal cars, then Rumcar members can park near the Gazebo and those that are not can park next to them. 

Metal Metal Metal Metal Rumcar Plastic Plastic Plastic

Does that sound like a suitable plan?

Chris Thomas

All the more reason as a layout to encourage those non micros out of the Metal and Plastic areas, unless the prize is open to non microcars. I could see that working with an avenue building up starting on each corner of the RUMCAR stand facing each other. A natural area for the enthusiasts of the limited production to hold informal court. Such things stimulate interest and enthusiasm as it is not really elitist.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
Reliants at the Anglian windows rally Norfolk 2011.

Note the big 850cc muscle cars reliants are parked up separately.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:42:08 PM by Bob Purton »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
No one told them it was the local scrap yard!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
I believe that this year the Rally Organisers are trying for the largest number of microcars in one place record again.  I hope the  attendance of too many "other interesting vehicles", welcome as they should be, will not confuse the counting procedure.  I feel it must be left to the Rally organisers to specify the layout don't you?
On another note may be The Register of Unusual Microcars should volunteer to organise a National  one year with a group of owners getting together to do so.  Just food for thought  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
what is the green one ? an early Reliant ? or am i miles off the mark as usual
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
Blue one at the top is a Raleigh Safety Seven. Grey drophead is a Regal mk 3. Green 'un's a Regal Mk 2 & the rest are supposedly invisible to micro buffs....   ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
Blue one at the top is a Raleigh Safety Seven. Grey drophead is a Regal mk 3. Green 'un's a Regal Mk 2 & the rest are supposedly invisible to micro buffs....   ;)

I suspect the Raleigh is owned by the wonderfully mad projectionist and George Formby fan from Yarmouth, I think it was. Exactly the sort of person we want at a Micro Car Rally in my book. Great guy.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
Nearly Mr Hitchcock. The Grey Regal mk3 belongs to the ex mad projectionist, not that he is no longer mad but rather no longer a projectionist! Sadly made redundant by the world of digital. His saftey seven is a green one. He told me that he robbed the engine from the saftey seven to put in the Mk3! Very strange! Even stranger he tells me he hates electric guitars! At that point I walked away!!! There is only so much a man can take!!:D

The green regal mk2 is a long term restoration but I was a little concerned by the fact that the owner told me he rebuilt the rear end of his Isetta using old cooker side panels, I thought there was someting "Belling" about it! Yes the whole rally was a wash with nutters. Lovely Jubbly!!

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
re the "reliant thing",, as a child, i would be collected from school in a schmitt one day, scootacar the next, berkely, trident, and a red early sidevalve drophead reliant, dads owned several sidevalves since,and had a very early alloy bodied one ! alan evans  , microcar nut, avin it large with the plastic pig brigade, good times, no animosity with other micro owners and no "one upmanship" . drive what you like,or what you can afford. most important thing is to drive it. legislation from the euronuts would see us all driving electric "cars" and anything unusual banished to museums,never to pop n fart again. pull together folks, or it will all be gone. AND dont forget, this years rally is hosted by the bug club, which are wholy accepted in the micro world,and are indeed, a reliant in a pretty frock.  discuss !

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »

His safety seven is a green one. He told me that he robbed the engine from the safety seven to put in the Mk3! Very strange!

Oh yes, I know the chap. Ian Munroe I think his name is? & used to have a Trilox Rollsette too which came to Southwell '06. Not to worry Bob, his Safety Seven (an Oxford registered car too!) had a Reliant 850 engine in it as the original lump had gone years ago. So it is probably that 850 engine now in his Mk 3...

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
re the "reliant thing",, as a child, i would be collected from school in a schmitt one day, scootacar the next, berkely, trident, and a red early sidevalve drophead reliant, dads owned several sidevalves since,and had a very early alloy bodied one ! alan evans  , microcar nut, avin it large with the plastic pig brigade, good times, no animosity with other micro owners and no "one upmanship" . drive what you like,or what you can afford. most important thing is to drive it. legislation from the euronuts would see us all driving electric "cars" and anything unusual banished to museums,never to pop n fart again. pull together folks, or it will all be gone. AND dont forget, this years rally is hosted by the bug club, which are wholy accepted in the micro world,and are indeed, a reliant in a pretty frock.  discuss !

Amen to that!