Author Topic: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update  (Read 36813 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: National MicroCar Rally 2011 update
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
Blue one at the top is a Raleigh Safety Seven. Grey drophead is a Regal mk 3. Green 'un's a Regal Mk 2 & the rest are supposedly invisible to micro buffs....   ;)
The rest?  I can't see any others?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
Stuart, he told me the mk3 now has a side valve correct engine in it and that he also sourced the right one for the S/seven so all is present and correct now. That Mk3 is lovely, My dad had two and I also owned one myself when seventeen, I love the reddish brown paint inside them, makes you feel like you are riding in a bakelite radio!! All our family cars were dogged with blowing head gaskets, a common problem I'm told, head warping etc.

Daughter of Bamby , ditto, ditto to all you say , except you keep showing your prejudice against electric cars, there are electric microcars out there that are great fun too, the Enfield is good but so are some of the modern ones too, my wife G-wiz is a fantastic city car which I nick off her every day much to her dismay!! I guess you are obliged to pour scorn on certain electric Peels and rightly so! Just remembered a guy I know from Leytonstone reworked one of your dads Bamby's and made it electric using a curtis controller and a Lynch motor, it was very drivable and knocked spots off the original. Live and let live including electric!.

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
bob, i dont doubt there are driveable electric cars, but, as a dyed in the wool petrol head, i just cant bring myself to give them any time. when im not building/driving micros, i can be found at the dragstrip with my 8litre 1957 chevrolet drag car, trailered by my 6 litre 1960 chevy elcamino, followed up by hubby in his  5.7 litre 1956 chevy belair. i ll leave it to the battery cars to offset my very large carbon footprint.  24 cylinders ,,almost 20 litres and 1450 horses between 3 cars,, petrol is my thing,, as long as theyre pumpin the stuff, i ll keep burnin it.  8)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
Sad!

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
naaa, misunderstood !

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
bob, i dont doubt there are driveable electric cars, but, as a dyed in the wool petrol head, i just cant bring myself to give them any time. when im not building/driving micros, i can be found at the dragstrip with my 8litre 1957 chevrolet drag car, trailered by my 6 litre 1960 chevy elcamino, followed up by hubby in his  5.7 litre 1956 chevy belair. i ll leave it to the battery cars to offset my very large carbon footprint.  24 cylinders ,,almost 20 litres and 1450 horses between 3 cars,, petrol is my thing,, as long as theyre pumpin the stuff, i ll keep burnin it.  8)
In the news today "though fuel duty was reduced by 1p in April this year, the UK government is planning to make up for that with two increases in 2012. From 1 January, duty will rise by 3.6p a litre." :o
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
Stuart, he told me the mk3 now has a side valve correct engine in it and that he also sourced the right one for the S/seven so all is present and correct now. That Mk3 is lovely, My dad had two and I also owned one myself when seventeen, I love the reddish brown paint inside them, makes you feel like you are riding in a bakelite radio!! All our family cars were dogged with blowing head gaskets, a common problem I'm told, head warping etc.

Daughter of Bamby , ditto, ditto to all you say , except you keep showing your prejudice against electric cars, there are electric microcars out there that are great fun too, the Enfield is good but so are some of the modern ones too, my wife G-wiz is a fantastic city car which I nick off her every day much to her dismay!! I guess you are obliged to pour scorn on certain electric Peels and rightly so! Just remembered a guy I know from Leytonstone reworked one of your dads Bamby's and made it electric using a curtis controller and a Lynch motor, it was very drivable and knocked spots off the original. Live and let live including electric!.

Might be controversial but I am not convinced that you can have a traditional electric microcar. In the era that interests me electric vehicles needed about half a ton of batteries to go anywhere. Is an Enfield a micro car? Thus an electric microcar had no range and was less than useless, Hazelcar. If it had range it was to big to be a microcar. Therefore in my mind an electric microcar does not exist as a practical reality and my take on them is much as Bob's on Villiers Invalid Carriages, which to my mind are microcars designed for a specific driver and therefore part of what was going on. Beyond that flirting with battery power does little to move vehicle technology forward to a real answer to replacing the IC engine. It can only be a stop gap until or unless highly efficient batteries are available cheap - loads of nasty pollution. The fuel cell has far more possibilities as does IC engines powered by fuel sourced via sustainable resources be that windmills, alga or coal. Besides if the younger generation are going to kick up and whinge about the older generation who created a well ordered lifestyle for them and only ask for fair compensation in old age I feel totally entitled to use up all the fuel and let them be clever enough to find an alternative solution! As to tax rises, not very clever at the moment.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Just remembered a guy I know from Leytonstone reworked one of your dads Bamby's and made it electric using a curtis controller and a Lynch motor, it was very drivable and knocked spots off the original. Live and let live including electric!.

Another interesting character, again the sort to have at an event. There to prove folk like me wrong.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
raleigh looks like Danny Steansons from Co. Durham . nice guy,i have met him , and his wife susan, many times at Bond rallies - a mark F tourer i think . thought the resto was a mark I/II Reliant whats the difference between them ? early Reliants look great - i like the Grey one here but the red ex-David McNiece one is Georgeous and very "BUBBLY"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:31:39 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »

thought the resto was a mark I/II Reliant whats the difference between them ?

Buy this on 6th September & find out....    ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 12:49:01 PM »
1935-1973, these are the ones we want at the National. Shame I wont be there to get a signed book Stuart, are you doing mail order?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »

Might be controversial but I am not convinced that you can have a traditional electric microcar. In the era that interests me electric vehicles needed about half a ton of batteries to go anywhere. Is an Enfield a micro car? Thus an electric microcar had no range and was less than useless, Hazelcar. If it had range it was to big to be a microcar. Therefore in my mind an electric microcar does not exist as a practical reality and my take on them is much as Bob's on Villiers Invalid Carriages, which to my mind are microcars designed for a specific driver and therefore part of what was going on. Beyond that flirting with battery power does little to move vehicle technology forward to a real answer to replacing the IC engine. It can only be a stop gap until or unless highly efficient batteries are available cheap - loads of nasty pollution. The fuel cell has far more possibilities as does IC engines powered by fuel sourced via sustainable resources be that windmills, alga or coal. Besides if the younger generation are going to kick up and whinge aboutdlde older geneuation who created a well ordered lifestyle for them and only ask for fair compensation in old age I feel totally entitled to use up all the fuel and let them be clever enough to find an alternative solution! As to tax rises, not very clever at the moment.

What is a traditional electric microcar? Would it go by body size? Weight? Motor KW? I think we should go by the current light quadricycle class. weight of the batteries shouldn't come into it. I'm not a huge lover of electric cars, much preferring to drive petrol powered light motorcycles and cars but have to acknowledge the benefits I'm currently enjoying by being a G-wiz co-owner. Saved a fortune in petrol over the past two years!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
And more saving to come! Who knows what the definition is and I am not sure it greatly matters. Its more about folk.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »

Might be controversial but I am not convinced that you can have a traditional electric microcar. In the era that interests me electric vehicles needed about half a ton of batteries to go anywhere. Is an Enfield a micro car? Thus an electric microcar had no range and was less than useless, Hazelcar. If it had range it was to big to be a microcar. Therefore in my mind an electric microcar does not exist as a practical reality and my take on them is much as Bob's on Villiers Invalid Carriages, which to my mind are microcars designed for a specific driver and therefore part of what was going on. Beyond that flirting with battery power does little to move vehicle technology forward to a real answer to replacing the IC engine. It can only be a stop gap until or unless highly efficient batteries are available cheap - loads of nasty pollution. The fuel cell has far more possibilities as does IC engines powered by fuel sourced via sustainable resources be that windmills, alga or coal. Besides if the younger generation are going to kick up and whinge aboutdlde older geneuation who created a well ordered lifestyle for them and only ask for fair compensation in old age I feel totally entitled to use up all the fuel and let them be clever enough to find an alternative solution! As to tax rises, not very clever at the moment.

What is a traditional electric microcar? Would it go by body size? Weight? Motor KW? I think we should go by the current light quadricycle class. weight of the batteries shouldn't come into it. I'm not a huge lover of electric cars, much preferring to drive petrol powered light motorcycles and cars but have to acknowledge the benefits I'm currently enjoying by being a G-wiz co-owner. Saved a fortune in petrol over the past two years!

1000 miles on a charge? 

http://www.gizmag.com/schluckspecht-ev-world-record/19535/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=0cda2f8c92-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email