Author Topic: road legal p50 from bambycars  (Read 49797 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: road legal p50 from bambycars
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:59 AM »
The good thing is at 9 grand for a new P50 you know what you're getting as in a new machine ready to go.

You could fall in the cart however by buying (for example) a once fine original KR that's been restored by amatures who fit fibreglass front wings, nasty paint jobs and even worse,  incorrect spec interiors with modern out of place vinyl and other inferior badly home made cheap and nasty parts.  

You just cannot believe the utter rubbish out there.

Caveat emptor.     

Correct. Avoid it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »
IThe microcar following could end up going the same way as a Hobby my grandad is involved in- model railways. This pass time is facing near extinction as it is not seen as cool and the older stalwarts of the scene are failing to embrace young blood.

Tie them to the tracks! This is true. Young Edward Hindell is the only youngster to attend the local outdoor model Railway Society. As such he is something of a special case and greatly encouraged. Trouble is he is now less interested in Messerschmitting in part because not much happens at the rallies he has attended. There is more than just budget to attracting younger folk. They have the energy to want to participate in action not sit around like the older generation. It is not an easy one stop answer unfortunately. The clubs and structure need to change really to give any new group room to have their head. I cannot see certain organisations taking kindly to that. Stagnation is a natural progression and the less interesting or usable will disappear from the road in all but a very minority of cases if that is allowed to happen.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
The videos of the Bamby Peel P50 are great. I know you said they are four stroke, but are they automatic or do they have gears. I guess auto, but I would prefere gears. I'm looking forward to a little test drive if I may at the National.
        the engines are a honda 4 stroke copy, we dismantled one prior to using it and they are of excellent quality, you get what you pay for and these engines are at the upper end of the price bracket. the gearbox is fully auto, to be honest, it pulls away so well and reaches max speed so quickly, a manual box would be slower in this application.  it will be available at the nationals for a test drive should anybody wish.

I can't wait to see it at the Nationnal!

I really think you should make the Bamblica... They where great cars, I'm suprised your first "new" car wasnt a repro of the original!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
A remade and well engineered bamby would be a fantastic idea! After schmitts I would say they are my second favourite micro, but not sure I would buy an original... ! They just seem a little more roomy and modern looking than a P50. I think A modern bamby with a perky engine, which is powerfully enough for town running and disc brakes would be a good seller!

As for the young blood element, I have to agree with Al, young people don't feel motivated by static cars! I first became interested in micros ( specifically schmitts) after seeing a KR200 in action at the age of 8 , which insprired me! But it wasn't until my first ride in one that I became hooked and had to own one whatever the cost! Micros cars are fun to drive because they are so small and unusual! You don't need to hurtle along at 90mph to have fun! But a lot of younger people are more interested in lamborghinis and ferraris! And going fast! The only way to convience them otherwise is to get micros out on the road, and demonstrate how fun they are to own and run!
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
So here is an idea, free of charge. A replica single seat Tiger based on a standardised kart base, Bamby are half way there. Create a racing formula for them on the Kart circuit and backed by the manufacturer and sponsorship like Ginetta series racing does. On gaining support introduce Peel racing? The youngsters will buy into that as can the old chap and I am sure a developed road car or two would come out of it to bolster Microcar activity with modern takes on traditional vehicles as limited production or kit cars for everyday road use. This being new it does not trip over old fouggies in campervans who wish to banter over burgers. It opens up some interesting Micro events with the odd 'non competitive' Schmitt sprint round a track or something.

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
www.wix.com/minimicros/bamby-home                            not a clue if it ll work ???

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
 It works fine on mine & a very impressive site too if I may say.  :)  It's all another chapter in micro history & its happening before our very eyes. I for one am keeping copious notes for the appropriate chapter of "A complete history of the microcar world"...  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:52:04 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
www.wix.com/minimicros/bamby-home                            not a clue if it ll work ???

Nice site! Works fine here too!

Will there only bee the Bamby P50 at the NMCR, or another minimicro? Maybe you could show us the Isetta too?

JP
Mopeds:

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
all being well we should have 1 of each there and time permitting,our original bamby.  :)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »
all being well we should have 1 of each there and time permitting,our original bamby.  :)

Nice!

Whatever it is, one day, I want to see a Bamblica!
Mopeds:

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
after 2 weeks of waiting for the DVLA to get there act together,today we recieved in the post, a tax disc and documentation for the p50. a quick jaunt over to the local motor store and we had a shiny new 2011 number plate made up.  plate firmly attached and new tax disc proudly displayed in the screen and it was off for a real life road test in the new p50. dad took 1st stint with me following in the work hack. the only way out of our workshop is a 1/2 mile dash along the A15. scary enough at 60 mph but at 30 in a replica peel !!!!!!!!!!!!!! . safely on the local B roads the p50 was in its element, buzzing along merrilly with the odd oncoming car slowing so the occupants could get a better look, many thumbs up and bouts of hysterics were witnessed. 2 villages down and some 8 miles covered we pulled into a local hostelry, the red lion at redbourne, to check the little fella over, all was well so we decided to treat ourselves to a refreshing beverage. sat outside gazing on the p50  we lost count of how many times we had to reply with "yes,like the one on top gear". fully refreshed we decided to press on. my turn this time,i pulled out of the carpark and set off on my adventure. a white bond bug came the opposite way with the occupant waving madly , not sure if it was aimed at me or if he had a wasp in his cabin, anyways, it was nice to know i wasnt the only fool on 3 wheels today. another 3 miles and time to turnaround, a filling station was the place of choice to do an about turn. pulling in, i couldnt resist the temptation to scoot between the 2 sets of pumps, not stopping for fuel and to the look of bemusement on the rep filling his bmw cockster. back on the road and flat out through the village i smiled at knowing i was just under the speed limit with my foot planted on the floor. on the open road i gained on a tractor hauling bales, a quick look and i made my move, overtaking in a p50 !! thats gotta be a 1st. a few villages up and i find myself at the junction with the dreaded A15 again. waiting to pull out and turn right for a mad dash back to the workshop,i wait,and wait and wait, for a gap in the traffic big enough to afford me some distance, a truck sees me and flashes me out, i give him the thumbs up and im away, he held back the traffic ,following me the 1/2 mile back to base,i indicated a right turn and as he came past he gave a blow on his air horns and a thumbs up out of his window, top bloke ! back at base. the p50 was given a thorough check over and all was fine.we congratulated ourselves on a job well done and retired to the pub for more congratulating. thirsty work this microcar lark ! 

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
Brilliant news. You must feel very pleased with yourself, you and your dad. Sounds like you had a great time. It's a lovely feeling when this type of plan comes together and you can legaly drive your brainchild on the road. Well done.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »
No rally is safe. Prepare to be upstaged!