Author Topic: Can you recode a Huf key?  (Read 2538 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Can you recode a Huf key?
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
Hello,

Like some of you, we have a load of schmitt keys and keyholes, but only one or two are matching...

Does anyone know how to recode the locks, so I can make it fit with a certain key?
I saw that this "keyprof Luke" can recode them, but at a lot of money...

I wanted to know if I can do it myself.

So, has anyone done it for their car?

Jonathan
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Can you recode a Huf key?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
I also have spare keys and locks without keys. I would suspect world wide there is scope for a key swap list to unite keys with the appropriate switch thereby keeping things simple. So a list of wnted numbers and a list of spare keys, both, published. It is what clubs are for, surprisingly! Otherwise getting a key cut is simpler than removing the levers to re profile the barrel. Either that or go with 150 on all reversing cars and have one key!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
I also have spare keys and locks without keys. I would suspect world wide there is scope for a key swap list to unite keys with the appropriate switch thereby keeping things simple. So a list of wnted numbers and a list of spare keys, both, published. It is what clubs are for, surprisingly! Otherwise getting a key cut is simpler than removing the levers to re profile the barrel. Either that or go with 150 on all reversing cars and have one key!

Well, I need to find some uncut Huf keys first, and how do I know what a certain lock needs?

J-P
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
i am pretty sure your local locksmith can do that sort of thing - given a suitable blank . usually another type will do the job . you need a key thin enough to fit in , channelled in the correct place and with enough length and depth to cut the notches out . - I THINK !! :-\
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:18:38 AM »
The blanks are available. Not the old HUF style but not horrible square jobs. I believe in the UK from Chelmsford source. The number on the lock/switch will provide a template for the key to be cut to fit. I understood Heiko can get them cut. Going rate here was about £7 last time I did one - so that will be double now! Key guy at Mannhiem can do them but I think had no blanks as it is an odd size.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs