Author Topic: Bond minicar rear suspension  (Read 2327 times)

rayburrow

• Occasional
Bond minicar rear suspension
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
I wonder if anyone has tried to recondition the rear spring/shock absorbers on Bond MarkG minicars?   Apparently there are no units available any more, and the Bond Club has been quoted about £350 for a pair made to a slightly different specification.   The units on my car seem to be working, but are leaking oil badly and attracted unwelcome interest at the last MOT.   How nice it would be if the old Flexitor units could be fitted to Mark Gs!   Or perhaps someone has done that?   I can't believe there isn't a solution out there somewhere - or are all Mark Gs popping their way to the heavenly breakers!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Bond minicar rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
I recently had a set of three coilovers made to copy the spec of a Nobel and the bill came to less than £200. Thats for three units not two! Try Hagons of Hainault Essex.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »
Spax are still in Bicester and have in the past been quite useful in mixing and matching parts to create units. Not been for some years but they used to be able to identify and sometimes match springs out of stock. The problem is with the squeeze many of the services these places offered have gone as they are not as efficient profit centres as selling bulk orders of dampers. Might be worth a go though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

rayburrow

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
Thanks, Bob and Big Al,
The springs on my units are fine, it's the hydraulic units inside them that are the problem.  Are you saying, Bob, that Hagons were able to copy the entire units?   I'll contact them on Monday - likewise Spax - and keep you posted!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
The ones Hagons made for me are not identical to look at but were made to match the spring values and have bushes that fit. I found them very helpfull. They keep records of all the bikes/cars they make units for, they may even have something on record for Bonds.