Author Topic: Nobel 200 dashboard  (Read 9709 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Nobel 200 dashboard
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
Laminated wood is strong and can be undercut to relief. Admittedly it is stronger if the laminates are curved. Then so is steel if it is under tension or with embossed ribs and so forth. Cannot remember the structure of the Nob dash. I think it will depend on what the body moulding has at the foot of the windscreen as to whether the added dash assembly is a structural element. I would expect a moulded strengthening rib under the screen as part of the bodyshell. If that is present it is probably self supporting. The give away will be in use as the screen is heavy and stress cracks will emanate from it into the gel coat if it is not strong enough. Also what is the steering bolted to? Is this the need for some stiffness but exclusive of the rest of the structural strength of the shell? If so a mod can be made that is reversible should the correct part become available.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
I have the flat metal bit from the back that bonds to the fiberglass and the glovebox box i just need to re fabricate the facia. I might even go for metal and embossed just like the original as a mate thinks he can do it at his work, tho would take a bit of work and a few attempts to create the former.  I've seen several pics of nobels/variants with flat dashboards and they look fine in anycase but was thinking if nobody has one readily available from an old car then wooden would be the easier option and i would be crafting the embossed bits from wood too. I dont think the cars strength would be compromised at all. The dash isn't really a structural component of the Nobel and as someone has already pointed out wood is strong.

The Nobel is the only one with the pressed dash. Fuldas dont, bambis dont, atticas dont, you name it.

However, Nobel pickups have flat dashes.

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
Which would suggest there is no structural issue. It makes sense for the shell to be in one bit and strong enough.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
doesnt the steel dashboard form part of the structure of the shell?

Only the dashboard back is bonded to the shell, the dash itself curves round at the sides, so unless you're going to steam it, glass fibre's a good alternative.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »
doesnt the steel dashboard form part of the structure of the shell?

Only the dashboard back is bonded to the shell, the dash itself curves round at the sides, so unless you're going to steam it, glass fibre's a good alternative.

Only bit I cant make is the metal plate. I guess Ali would be best, but more expensive, but they do rust like hell, mine is horrible, the fold is only conencted to half the lenght of the chasis!

I will have to find out how to properly make a fibreglass mold, and buy some gel coat! We may also need some more fibre glass, but we have some left. My car will need lots though!

How much should I sell them at?

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
Trade for bits you need for the car initially! Always a fav.