Author Topic: BMW badge or no badge?  (Read 5210 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
BMW badge or no badge?
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
At the east anglia rally the weekend Thumper was the only Isetta in the line up not to have a BMW door badge on it and although I'm quite happy with that I would like to get to the bottom of the question of should it have one. I get a diverse answer from other owners, Mike Ayriss says it should have one as its a plus model, Barry Lee has a late RHD in original paint that has the badge and others say none of then would have had a badge. Who knows the truth? Any Brighton factory workers left to ask?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:30:10 PM by Bob Purton »

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: BMW badge or no badge?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
At the east anglia rally the weekend Thumper was the only Isetta in the line up not to have a BMW door badge on it and although I'm quite happy with that I would like to get to the bottom of the question of should it have one. I get a diverse answer from other owners, Mike Ayriss ways it should have as its a plus model, Barry Lee has a late RHD in original paint that has the badge and others say none of then would have had a badge. Who knows the truth? Any Brighton factory workers left to ask?

As far as I know, all BMW Isettas had the badge on the door.

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Just to be clear I am talking about Brighton built Isetta's here.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
praps you could sort of get your own back !! put a nice Mini one on  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
I dont need to get my own back Dickie, it won best bubblecar award without a badge!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
i meant get your own back with badging a BMW as a Mini bob  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
I was under the impression that the Isetta had a specific badge made just for it. These were plastic material with moulded reverse which was painted and the badge stuck on. They are thus rare as they fell of, got nicked or UV light destroyed them. The badge was scripted in a different font with seraphs I think. The 600 had a similar badge for the rear sides but that was hollow. Some sources said these were the same, no expert. Not sure if the BMW badged Goggos used the same/similar badging. Not sure when the badge was redesigned but BMW should know all this. At one time Mannheim had replica cast Isetta badges available. I traded in these for a bit and these had two spurs on the reverse which needed two drilled holes and fasteners on the reverse. Look great but not right. Also available and close were an enamelled badge fastened by two screws. These also appeared on the British market at one time again sourced from Mannheim I expect.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
Just to be clear I am talking about Brighton built Isetta's here.

My turn to say YOU misread ;)

I said all Isettas, since I have never seen one without it. Werent all UK Isettas built in Brighton?

If so, they definitally had badges!
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
Thanks Al. All the badges I saw yesterday on Isettas were domed and enameled, dont know how they were held on but were all 60mm diameter. I have just gone through the Isetta Gold Portfolio book which consists of advertisements and period articles, photos. Some of the Brighton cars have the badge others do not, maybe its another example of using what ever they had that week!

JP. Clarification about British Isettas was not aimed at you but to make sure others knew what I was asking.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Thanks Al. All the badges I saw yesterday on Isettas were domed and enameled, dont know how they were held on but were all 60mm diameter. I have just gone through the Isetta Gold Portfolio book which consists of advertisements and period articles, photos. Some of the Brighton cars have the badge others do not, maybe its another example of using what ever they had that week!

JP. Clarification about British Isettas was not aimed at you but to make sure others knew what I was asking.

Dont worry, at least you found out :)

Maybe they where like the very early Nobels... (earlier than mine, the first proto's), they where english named german Isettas! Scandal  :o
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »
Not sure I have found out yet, still gathering data from the "Isetta world" forum.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
This one has made a couple of appearances at the All British Field Meet in Vancouver, BC:

I spoke with the owner in 2010.  He had just finished restoring it and said he had been keen on returning it to its original appearance.  We didn't specifically discuss the badge but obviously it didn't have one at the show.  Purely anecdotal, I know, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some were badged and others weren't.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
Thanks. Looks like a nice car. The picture that is emerging indicates exactly that, some did , some didn't which fits in with the way things were at the Brighton factory, no consistency which makes it very hard for anyone to say with authority what is right and what is wrong on any UK car.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
equally makes it easy for you also doesnt it.  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:26 AM »
I guess it does.