Author Topic: Smallest cars  (Read 2588 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Smallest cars
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »
We have it on good authority that the Peel P50 is the smallest production car. Question. What are the next smallest.

I have the chance to own another real Peel and a Mini Comtesse which would seem to be next on the list, hence the thought of collecting the smallest 5 cars, say. Would third place be a Bamby? Again I have the chance to have one. The Norjska is small too but is it a car? The Flipper was not large and managed 2 seats. There have to be cars I do not know about that are tiny. The key issue is production cars not one off or kit/specials. Brutsch, for instance, seem to be thought of as non production save when made under licence by someone else using the ideas. Those were all bigger versions than the Mopetta and Rollera etc.

My interest is partly because I have been talking to a Museum who were enthused by the idea of borrowing the 5 smallest production cars. That would be a happy arrangement for my ownership of such a collection as rather than hidden from theft or use they would be secure and on show educating people. It also would encourage them to have a Microcar display which I could contribute too but in no way would want to supply entirely as there is a limit to what I want to own! There could be space for another couple of exhibitors with the correct types of cars. The organisation are not keen on a myriad of owners, preferring a controllable number of owners to deal with. All depends on funding an internal expansion which is why they cannot really afford the exhibits, bit of a catch 22 I am attempting to take advantage of. If successful I could see this as a long term arrangement. I am confidant that well presented microcars will bat above their weight and the Museum owners will become reluctant to replace them with their own exhibits over time. By having expertise and quality cars on display there is a chance to offer an accurate display of cars that are correctly equipped and can serve as reference rather than the often slightly iffy cars put on display which mislead folk badly. They currently own the major part of the collection on display but have minimal real knowledge of Micros. So back up is important and I will not agree to a deal without some degree of input. Also the area in question is of limited use for 'real' cars as access is awkward and I think total weight might be an issue as well so ideally suited to smaller cars. The down side I could see it becoming an eatery which would make more visible money and leave an area suitable for more Ferraris or something boring!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Smallest cars
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:07:25 AM »
Interesting idea. I am not sure how you even define "smallest" as the Brutsch offerings are lower than the P 50, so which dimensions/engine size/interior space etc define the size of a micro. Is Jean's Moby a micro car or a cabin moped? Oh wait it's not a production device, so does not count for your purposes, but the point is perhaps valid. Rytecraft scooter cars and Atco trainers can be considered perhaps.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
I was under the impression that the mopetta was actually the worlds smallest car, with the Peel P50 being the worlds smallest roofed car. Not sure where you'd get a mopetta as they are as rare rocking horse droppings ( and no doubt the price of a pent house in canary wharf)... even though the majority were imported into the UK and sold through two strokes (though I may be wrong?)
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »
mopettas as common as peels nowadays - no shortage of either. i also thought the mopetta was regarded as smaller thant the peel , but of debate. anyhow when does a production run end ? :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
I have regularly seen both of them described as "the world's smallest car" (even before the recent Ripleys believe it or not era). If having a roof makes one car bigger, does the height of the roof also figure, if so our Suzuki Wagon is bigger than an S class Benz! I really don't know how you decide. If a Mopetta size car is convertible (has a lowerable hood does this affect its "size"? I don't know myself, just wondering aloud!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face