Author Topic: Lawil/Willam/Crayford  (Read 5029 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Lawil/Willam/Crayford
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
I have got the bonnet open at last. The mech was seized up. So I was pleasantly pleased to find the engine bay in very good order resplendent with its Duccati 250cc unit. If I get time I hope to get this two seat soft top car cleaned up and running for the National. Interestingly the chassis plate is a Lawil one despite all the Crayford stuff. I might be able to answer questions now I can get in!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Lawil/Willam/Crayford
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
As you know by now, I am very interested in everything to do with your Crayford Lawil and Ducati (BCB) engine?
Keep me posted please - photos?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:20:20 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
Now obtained some original sales material for the Crayford. Crayford have a loose link with Trojan as the two directors were both apprenticed trained by Trojan with one gaining a BSc. Crayford listed only four models being the two seat saloon and two seat convertable but offered these with single or twin engines. So the models were in order

Crayford Willam Commuter car

The City  - saloon with 5.6 hp 2 stroke Lambretta engine at £758

The Commuter - convertible with 5.6 hp 2 stroke Lambretta engine at £783

The City TC - Saloon with 12 hp Ducatti twin 2 stroke at £838

The Commuter TC - convertible with 12 hp Ducatti twin 2 stroke at £863

So the 250 twin must be a pretty sprightly mover up to urban speed limits is not a big or heavy car. Its selling angle was much as the Isetta's in that it was short enough to park end on to the pavement at 82 inches long and places otherwise unavailable to ordinary cars.

For those who do not know the cars have a four speed gearbox with reverse driving through a rear axle with diff. The TC models have an alternator. All had heaters.

The publicity car seems to be DOP 431K in the pictures with the leaflet bought. This is odd as my car is a 1969 G reg pre-dating the official pics by three years. It carries a Lawil chassis plate. However the pics show the car on a Victor Gauntlet forecourt so maybe there was some tie up there.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
Great information Al
I took my 250cc Lawil to the 25th Rumcar Anniversary - only firing on one cylinder so not much power.
A bit of tinkering at home and it fires on two nicely now.  It really does accelerate well through the gears but I think top speed is intentionally limited by carb and exhaust.
A two stroke tuner could make one of these go really fast - not recommended.

One day I may get my hands on some copies of your literature.  It will be great to explain to DVLA / VOSA that these were actually registered and on the road in England.
Is there a real V5 there somewhere?
I may be able to avoid seat belts etc.
I need to get a dating certificate which will be 1979 or 1980 I think.  When did production finish anyone?

Still I have the problem of my badly stamped-up aluminium engine plate.
The best thing ever would be if I could borrow a Lawil 250 City (Saloon) Chassis plate.  Not Willam, not 125cc, not jeep - these are all slightly different I think.
I could scan the 250cc real plate and make an exact replica with my engine and chassis numbers on.  It really needs to be a scan from a real plate, not just a photo.
However, it would be good to see a photo too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:31:32 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
I am still without a scanner. Now the printer is on the blink so it might be time to uprate. No do not get excited it will be whatever is being chucked out of the local businesses. I do not believe in paying 20% VAT. The best quality steam powered unit will do. Alternative is to visit, then you can crawl all over it. I still await the logbook, its seems to have got lost. Don't they always?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Releasing documents! 
I know that, within Rumcars, it is a very dangerous thing to suggest as it is considered one of the most offensive requests ever by some members.  Accusations of certain theft of any document supplied etc. etc......

Here goes.........

I would be only to willing to scan whatever documents you have and return them to you in perfect condition together with the very best quality scans that I can achieve in any format that you prefer (jpg, pdf, bmp etc.).
I have an A4 and an A3 flat bed scanner as well as an A4 multi page scanner.  10sheets double sided would take about 1 minute.  Part of my business.

I would be happy to scan any other documents that you may want, within reason!

I could pay all postage by whatever method you think would be safe.

As for a visit - where are you?
Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »
The ex capital of all Saxon England, Faringdon, Oxfordshire (it peaked early!). Some 30 highly mileos in the wetty grippa from the National venue. Sorry I have been thinking of a Stanley Unwin voice over to TomTom sat nav as an ideal Chrimbo present for people who cannot map read.
SN7 8AQ - the none Saxon code system.

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:25 PM »
Hi Barry
           I have in my collection two photos of the William commutor car - by Crayford reg no DOP 431 K - tha same as Big Al's photos one is photograghed by a sign which saya Gauntlet used cars and on the back is the date of release Jun 4 1973 and a light green price list which contains the spec of the william - The Crayford secretary lives just around the corner from me and his brother ( who ownes crayford's ) lives four doors up the road from me.
  I will be happy to E-Mail the brocheres to you this week if you can send your E-Mail address to me - I have a scanner thats working!!
                                                                                                                                                    Mike

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
The ex capital of all Saxon England, Faringdon, Oxfordshire (it peaked early!). Some 30 highly mileos in the wetty grippa from the National venue. Sorry I have been thinking of a Stanley Unwin voice over to TomTom sat nav as an ideal Chrimbo present for people who cannot map read.
SN7 8AQ - the none Saxon code system.
Just over 173 miles and about 3 and quarter hours from my place.  I will have to wait untill I am in the area I think.

Barry

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
Hi Barry
           I have in my collection two photos of the William commutor car - by Crayford reg no DOP 431 K - tha same as Big Al's photos one is photograghed by a sign which saya Gauntlet used cars and on the back is the date of release Jun 4 1973 and a light green price list which contains the spec of the william - The Crayford secretary lives just around the corner from me and his brother ( who ownes crayford's ) lives four doors up the road from me.
  I will be happy to E-Mail the brocheres to you this week if you can send your E-Mail address to me - I have a scanner thats working!!
                                                                                                                                                    Mike
That would be great Mike, and any other info from your Crayford contacts.  Where are you?

email vividimage@btconnect.com

Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
Yep, that's the leaflet. Nice Shell jacket too.