Author Topic: spot the nobel!  (Read 8137 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: spot the nobel!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Left Hand Drive?

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Left Hand Drive?

Yep, some of the british Nobels where like that!

See, anoraks know everything ;)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
Would there be a reason why the catamaran is painted in the standard Nobel colour scheme? Is this in fact a marketing collaboration?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
did notice that. it looked extremely unseaworthy , possibly a foot too deep in the draught . BULWARKS  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
I could say the same about a Nobel, but I will not. I will just say I always think they look like a dolphin going the wrong way. It is indeed an odd design of boat. Perhaps designed for those who do not like dingys. They proved this by not buying one. ROWLOCKS
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
I could say the same about a Nobel, but I will not. I will just say I always think they look like a dolphin going the wrong way. It is indeed an odd design of boat. Perhaps designed for those who do not like dingys. They proved this by not buying one. ROWLOCKS

Well, the body was made by a boat company! I think it was Shorts brothers.
They also rescued one from the sea when it was brand new! The cargo ship "dropped" it!
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
I am confused. The boat in the pic is not a 'Cat'. Shorts were principally an aircraft company, dad was with them for a project for a while - not greatly impressed other than by the Short brother with extra brain power. They become part of Haarland and Wolfe at some point after the war, I think that would be where the boat building comes in. Bristol were involved as well if I recall correctly. This all tracks the thread on Frisky where Vickers Armstrong considered a contract to construct those cars. All these firms were attempting to claim contract engineering to keep their trained workers busy and on hand for the next high margin order/project to come in, often defence related. Trojan bought the Heinkel production line for much the same reason. History shows in most cases the efforts were doomed to fail and many of the companies disappeared or were rolled up into conglomerates.

However it would be interesting to know if there is some link with the 'Cat'. Did it share a common concessionary backer for instance. Interesting Nobels float long enough to be rescued. Puts them on a par with the VW Beetle. German design you see.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
youve muddied the waters jonathan i was waiting to see what the connection was between the two different dinghies  :-\
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
I am confused. The boat in the pic is not a 'Cat'. Shorts were principally an aircraft company, dad was with them for a project for a while - not greatly impressed other than by the Short brother with extra brain power. They become part of Haarland and Wolfe at some point after the war, I think that would be where the boat building comes in. Bristol were involved as well if I recall correctly. This all tracks the thread on Frisky where Vickers Armstrong considered a contract to construct those cars. All these firms were attempting to claim contract engineering to keep their trained workers busy and on hand for the next high margin order/project to come in, often defence related. Trojan bought the Heinkel production line for much the same reason. History shows in most cases the efforts were doomed to fail and many of the companies disappeared or were rolled up into conglomerates.

However it would be interesting to know if there is some link with the 'Cat'. Did it share a common concessionary backer for instance. Interesting Nobels float long enough to be rescued. Puts them on a par with the VW Beetle. German design you see.

I always mix up where the bodies where made, and where the chassies where made. Maybe shorts made the bodies?

Yes Richard, I did!

Here's somethin that will stop you sleeping. What is this? Who was it made for? Why is it special?
Mopeds:

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
german reg. fulda - no idea

i was rather hoping it was going to be the Queens shooting brake but sadly not

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 10:40:42 PM »
german reg. fulda - no idea

i was rather hoping it was going to be the Queens shooting brake but sadly not

Yes, its a Fulda, but no ordinary one. Ill give you a hint, and if you still don't know, I will tell you :)

Fuldamobil never produced a Pickup. It is a prototype for someone.
Mopeds:

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
Is the photo in the other (Chinese) thread not similar to a Fulda Pick-up?

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
Is the photo in the other (Chinese) thread not similar to a Fulda Pick-up?

Isnt it a bit long? It looks like it has a cabin, so more like this, but I still find its quite different in the middle and rear
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »
I am getting more confused still. Seem to be four threads mixed together.

Nobel - I have in mind that Haarland and Wolfe built the chassis. Now at the time they owned Shorts as an independent company which was trying to do aircraft. Quite where the chassis were built therefore would decide if it were Shorts or H and W despite the profit ending up in the same place.
I thought Bristol made the bodyshells at one point. They had GRP experience and spun off a automotive company - Bristol - so a pretty obvious contract to take on. Bristol aircraft got rolled up into British Aerospace but I do not know if Shorts did. Was there a link with Bristols prior to BA? Did H and W say unto them 'Eat my Shorts' in effect?

The pick ups and weirdo stuff, again, as far as I recall, was not made in Britain but imported and under badges of convenience.

Asian copies mixed with mystery Fulda based utilities, you have lost me on what is what.

The boats seem not to fit in anywhere unless there is a Siamese connection.