Author Topic: Mart, Event + Discussion  (Read 9265 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Mart, Event + Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
was the record broken??

In other words just slightly scratched so it jumped during the solo. Just to sober folks a little apparently the German Messerschmitt rally had over 190 cars this year!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
was the record broken??

Just to sober folks a little apparently the German Messerschmitt rally had over 190 cars this year!

So is that because there are more Messerschmitts in roadworthy trim in Germany, is it a one-off record for that rally or is there something central to the Messerschmitt rally that is attracting people and their cars to it, which the National has yet to capture?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
I would suggest that it means the Germans are more interested in Microcars than we are at the moment. They have a bigger country in which to drive to events but manage to turn up. They tend to have cars they have spent money on and that work so they have quite extensive road runs. They spend money and time at the venue to create an ambiance with run outs that often include filling a town square or visit to a manufacturer linked to the hobby. They also have a pride in their engineering achievements. That means a two way dialogue and access to town squares and a manufacturer linked to the hobby. A kind of sponsership in that rather than finding problems for these gatherings like in Britain there tends to be offers of solutions, from what I understand. That said even the Police seem much more helpful to such things and having a few outriders certainly whips most folk into shape out on the road. The convoys I have participated in have more often than not bought the place to a standstill so everyone else can watch. Certainly they are safer than here when moving a lot of cars. Put it together and why would you not want to attend a meeting of fellow enthusiasts?
I just wonder what would the turn out be if there was a German 'National Rally' - Story was closest - organised with German efficiency and passion, yes they do have it folks! I think you would find 400 microcars attending without much problem save the organisation would be practically a part time job over a year for someone with police etc involved.  If that were the case how many foreigners would it pull in on top once proven?

What was the turn out at the Dutch Rally, as a comparison?

My thoughts on the National are a pretty well known rant and I will not repeat it here. Ultimately the first issue is to have continuity of finance and support, that seems to be in place well enough. From there the volunteer organisers have to have the right to organise the event as they see it using as much of the afore mentioned support as they need. Outsiders cannot demand more than that. To have a more 'German' or better event thus can only really come from those who offer the continuity demanding more, might be counterproductive and you would have to ask them if they thought it were possible, or from an organising volunteer who can make it happen and who gains the required support to do it. Who is to say this better vision is going to be successful as there does seem to be a difference in the way Brits rally on mass to our chums across the channel but it would do no harm to nick their best ideas as they do seem to work. For myself I would apply my simple business litmus test. Always try to do a bit better than last time. It has always worked thankfully.

Just to look at this the opposite way without being negative. There are British micronauts now that chose to not attend our major rallies but will drive their worked up microcars across into near and far Europe to attend their rallies. I noticed quite a few folk who were not present at the National who were reasonably local but who chose to do something else over the weekend. You might need to find out why they no longer attend British events or participate much in British Clubs. Certainly on getting a running car I would be looking to join them in attending some of the European events as my primary driving activity backed by some local stuff unless my pigging leg means I ought to get a campervan so I can let it deflate periodically during the weekend.

Does this help answer the question?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs