Author Topic: Anyone else like the National this year?  (Read 15779 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Anyone else like the National this year?
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:29:13 AM »
Picked up from another thread
Event-National --great organisation, lucky sunshine, met lots of old friends , sorted schmitt points (they were faulty) and given a clue about cutting out-has my petrol cap got an airhole??-no idea will look Monday. The Cursor attracted lots of interest and people spoke to me so plan B worked well. A great day out and thanks to all who do the hard work setting up and running it.
Example--as I was eating my cold bacon sandwich in my tow car (daughter made it felt obliged to eat it) two marshalls came over I wondered what I had done BUT they had come to see if I needed to leave and would have put a call over the Tannoy to arrange movment of cars in the way. Not needed but great observation of a possible issue.
Also good to be near the RUM cars gazebo  and priveliged to be next to the Allard clipper -Cursor and Clipper both eccentric and unusable in their time!
Discussion??  anyone else like the National this year?
I thought it was a smashing event even if I could only run around for a couple of hours and then had to dash off to work. Nice to meet and put faces to a few of you. The field looked full to bursting when I left, but I doubt it was close to 200 micros even if you include cars that not everyone would classify as Micros. shame there wasn't a Nobel to be seen amongst them, but quite a good variety nevertheless. Heard a few tails of mechanical ailments, not least the Bond owner who thought the field was very bumpy till someone pointed out his broken rear suspension. Fortunately the sun was shining (or at least it was when I left!)

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Anyone else like the National this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:30:36 AM »
More Pics
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
More pics
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
Meant to take some pictures of the new Bamby P50 but someone stopped and talked to me everytime I got close and I ended up with none of it! Scootacars were the other notable absentee
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
The Bug Club proved this venue had the merits promised before the previous Noah special rather spoilt things. So that was, for me, the key thing and a vindication of much work.

Within the limitations of this traditional form of Rally it was very good managing a believed 161 cars attending (Statistics to be cross referenced as the organisers deserved to enjoy as much of the goings on as poss rather than getting technical in a tent). As good as it gets these days I would think. Too many reasons to state why but the world is different to that we rallied in 25 years ago. This evidenced by the attention to detail required by organisers with additional toilets, fire positions etc. Example Jeff Ellis trotting round the site at one point politely cutting short chats with 'I've got to go and fill the toilets up.' I thought 'What by your self!' but of course he meant the chemicals and bog rolls. Years ago this was not even on the radar and the judgement of natural activities was evidence by the variable speeds of ant columns of folk moving between the nearest facility or larger building of the venue and helped keep us all fit or it exemplified the added benefits of a working Microcar. I would hope no one complained about these sort of issues this year. If there were organisational probs the majority were not aware of them so a good job done. The compact rally field made pictures of individual cars a little difficult but it did mix folk up which is, I feel, a great bonus and dilutes marque bores. The high spot for me though was nothing to do with the cars but the presence of the Marshalls with good news. So many friends but my absence and inactivity over recent years means there was a huge number of people who I had no idea who they were. So if I could make a suggestion it would be could we have name labels next time, like in Holland. These can double as a rally plaque and are far more useful than those, unless like me you use the thin ali ones as filler applicators.

My only complaint was that I seem to have now paid an excessive amount for what was latter classed as 'The Worst Car at the Show'. Not sure if this pleased Stuart, who was near chucking the car in the ditch at one point in an effort to improve its ergonomics, more than it 'annoyed' me since there was a load of road worthy noshers present far more suited to this honour. The Bamby is practically original throughout and in fact fettled a potential outright concours winner! Maybe there is a challenge there! Clearly the UFO prize has become subject to ever more complex political problems from the days I last won it with a very original unrestored road legal Nobel and for much the same reasons I expect. The depth of filler on noshers is in direct inverse proportion to the thinness of the skins of the owners who have no sense of humour and often as not a jolly fine campervan spread loosely in a yonder field twice the size of that of the stars of the show, the microcars cars, cheek by jowl. (It was commented on even if it mattered not to the traditional Micronaut who is, of course, used to second best. This while enjoying the odd quiet tea in the peace and tranquillity of the area of autojumble stands including the two Schmitt clubs far from the madding crowd next to the museum buildings, oh dear, glum chums with few takers and less sales). Sad as it has made the UFO award less appropriate even if it is still a bit of fun. Perhaps the theft of the original plank of wood years ago is a blessing after all! Hey ho satirical chums!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:58:46 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
Shame, I would have loved to have been there!

What new Bambycars where there? Isetta?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:57:02 AM by Jonathan Poll »
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
really enjoyed the whole thing - fantastic , and the weather great ( unfortunately half way home i.e. 2 1/2 hours to go the rain was torrential and for the whole way - real adrenalin rush that kept me from nodding off on the motorcycle )
agreed alan on the conviviality of a small site - it was cosy , at times it was chaos . aiming to get i gather 250 cars there and you couldnt move on the site woth the 166 ? that did arrive .
cannot understand why new smarts, suzukis etc and not really eligible citroens etc were allowed to clutter up the already full site.
worst car at the show ? i wouldnt disagree with the bambi - i think their awful, but what why not the two invalid cars surely they stood a chance of this award  ;D

after all said i loved it all but where were the nobels, scootacars etc. etc.

outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
oh and i meant to ask how many members of the forum can you spot in tha above pics? i dont know all the identities but i only saw g-o-g-g-o, big al and myself . wheres wally or wheres the wally perhaps ? how many did you spot ? i know many more were there - grant , andy and others - were you in the beer tent ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
Dear Malcolm

Am I missing something, What picture???

I was there all day Saturday and Sunday, I saw Rusty chrome, big Al Stuart, John Meadows, Mike Shepherd, Jean, Emma and Grant, but with no name badges and these silly false names it was impossible to identify any other forum members. Perhaps forum members should have forum badges with their silly names on for the next National Rally.

I enjoyed the rally, but there is definitely room for improvement. I think the Bug club did very well until the prize giving when cars were leaving and having to force their way through the prize giving crowd, past the prize giving. I expected one of them to collect his prize and drive straight out the gate, that was how crowded the field was. The caterers could have done a bit more than cooked breakfast and burgers and chips tea Sandwhiches and crisps. Having said that there were a great group of people and there was a good vibe about the place, all Microcar friends together.

I was on my feet all day and desperate to sit down, and apart from the food tent it was the grass and get trampled on.

It was great to meet up with you all. See you all at the next event

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
hi chris nice to meet you - but you forgot me immediately  :'( loads of seats at the eatery i spose but you could have come to mikes gazebo and begged aseat for a while - many did . but remember he was trying to trade as well !! take your point though.

secondly who's malcolm ?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Dear Light Weight

I did say when I met you that I was not good at remembering names.

I did have some garden chairs on the Rumcar stand but felt very sorry for everybody else.

Glad to hear you got home without getting too wet on your Triumph.

Chris Thomas

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
Me again so soon. Silly names---Golo?? its  the name of a very rare Pelham ventriloquist puppet made in 1954 one of a set of 4, the Lilli range only 100 of each made. So its selling price today compared to its 'find' price is far from silly in fact worth more than my Cursor! which links swiftly onto worst car of show  I am amazed that anyone could put Bamby below afor mentioned death trap, I wonder if judges had experience of both??? still pleased to remain awardless. No room in the house-its full of puppets
Must be my ears or the cars leaving or wife on phone or just plain kn------- having been on feet all day but I missed the award speeches, from my position they were hard to hear so just joined in the laughter and applause when appropriate.
Wonder who the judges were??  I helped judge the Isettas and judging was done using an adapted BMW car club system.
It would appear that established protocol for this was not widely known (or maybe who gives a t--- anyway)Doors should be left open. and engine covers off. Associated memorabilia displayed aalong with jack and tools
Rubber floor mat will be lifted but door will not be opened or covers taken off, also must be able to see current MOT, Insurance and Tax disc. I thinlk the sheet is on the IOCGB site. But many cars despite being shiny would not be in with a chance simply because the judging sheet was not looked at or followed still no complaints that I heard.
I agree with the who's who  lots of RUM folk there but still unkown to me (maybe intentional???!)

Where will it be in 2012???

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
we enjoyed the weekend,saw old friends, made some new ones, drank beer,had a laugh and came away exhausted. job done i would say. well done to the organisers  :) stuart asked me to steer his bamby while he pushed so as he could park it next to our p50 for a photo, the easiest route being around the back of the friskys and along the drainage ditch,only snag was,,,,the bamby not having the best steering lock ,and the gap in which to turn not being very wide, both myself and the bamby in which i was ensconced almost went into said ditch,i was shouting to stop but to no avail,and i had no brakes with which to save myself :o   excellent fun.  did anyone get any pics of dad driving the p50 into the beer tent and up to the bar ??

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

both myself and the bamby in which i was ensconced almost went into said ditch,i was shouting to stop but to no avail,and i had no brakes with which to save myself :o 

From where I was pushing, there were at least two blades of grass-width between you & impending disaster, so loadsa room in which to get round in...  ;D   8)  Anyone get a photo? I know there were some cameras around. I wasn't going to tell you this Emma, but I was thinking at the time when we did that bit of shuffling to get round, that if it went wrong & the car actually did end up in the ditch, how comprehensively would it steal the show....   ;D   

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
 A few more pictures...   :)