Author Topic: Anyone else like the National this year?  (Read 15791 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Anyone else like the National this year?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
And more...

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
Lovely pics, sad, i haven't been there !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:19:25 AM by Peelpower »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 07:35:30 AM »

both myself and the bamby in which i was ensconced almost went into said ditch,i was shouting to stop but to no avail,and i had no brakes with which to save myself :o  

From where I was pushing, there were at least two blades of grass-width between you & impending disaster, so loadsa room in which to get round in...  ;D   8)  Anyone get a photo? I know there were some cameras around. I wasn't going to tell you this Emma, but I was thinking at the time when we did that bit of shuffling to get round, that if it went wrong & the car actually did end up in the ditch, how comprehensively would it steal the show....   ;D    

Hmm methinks the laughter would have been after being told 'Thanks for the bunts Al, your cars in the ditch. We're all off to spend the cash now!'.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
I helped judge the Isettas and judging was done using an adapted BMW car club system.
It would appear that established protocol for this was not widely known (or maybe who gives a t--- anyway)Doors should be left open. and engine covers off. Associated memorabilia displayed aalong with jack and tools
Rubber floor mat will be lifted but door will not be opened or covers taken off, also must be able to see current MOT, Insurance and Tax disc. I thinlk the sheet is on the IOCGB site. But many cars despite being shiny would not be in with a chance simply because the judging sheet was not looked at or followed still no complaints that I heard.

Where will it be in 2012???

At least there was a form of judging beyond a peoples choice. It is always controversial as there are more 'experts' than cars normally. We have drifted a way from folk having cars only to hunt pots a bit thankfully. I prefer to look at it as to own a car and enjoy it but that is very nice when other people say the like the car too and dish out a trophy. It does not ruin my day if I do not get one. Pro celebratory car showing is tedious in the extreme and disappointment often encountered. Do not understand why folks do it.
I think some of the odder prizes are actually judged on a totally informal basis, like the worst car. It has to go to someone who has the ability to accept it is not negative criticism. The parameters of the prizes change as the folk attending and event changes. When Wiggy, Nick and I were winning the Grot awards the car had to be roadworthy and driven during the event. In all but one case for us I believe the winning car was driven to and from the event. It does not take a genius to realise that the pool of competitors on that strict entry format would be very slim now and it would also be unlikely the car was the worst car present that worked. It crossed my mind the appropriate ironic prize now would be the best car on the worst quality trailer would achieve much the same footing as the old Grot award.

Next event. Big rumour of Great Yarmouth I believe. Being a MIcrocar Rally it should be Little Yarmouth but I think that sank a few years back. Mmm tours of the Broads, beach, is it Adnams from Southwold? Great venue for a holiday plus Rally. Worth the long drive as it is a great touring area which I did in a Zundapp and later Messerschmitt. I would not vote against it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:51 AM »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
Just wondering what the former pictured in Stuarts post is from? Some kind of hybrid Isetta?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
did anyone get any pics of dad driving the p50 into the beer tent and up to the bar ??

Pic of your old man at the bar as requested.

Excellent work.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:53:07 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
The Highbrid isetta as you call it, is the mould for a 2/3 scale copy proposed by Bamby to add to their 2/3 scale schmitts.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
I would like to add my congratulations to all who had a finger in the organisation of the National this year, a shame they didn't reach the record number of vehicles.  However, had they done so where on earth would they have parked them?.  It was my first visit to a National for a good few years and it was my grandson Jamie's first ever.  He was a little disappointed as he had expected to see a huge great field with masses and masses of unusual microcars that he had never seen before!  He enjoyed himself nonetheless mainly by showing off the Allard Clipper.  By the way rumour has it that someone crawled under the Clipper and went to sleep. I have no photographic evidence of this, can any one confirm or deny the rumour?
I had a wonderful day talking to people I had not seen for many years.  Everyone knew me but I must confess I was hard pressed to put names to several faces I do hope they were not offended.  I was so delighted that Tony and Lynne Marshall were able to make it and see them in such good spirits was an added bonus.  Thanks for all the pictures, (except the one of me with my mouth open)  I was too busy talking to take any.  Once again well done to the Organisers, here's to next year. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
i dont mean to poo poo anything but th whole idea of a record turnout was a bit odd wasnt it ? does that mean that all the in between years the organisers have not wanted a record turnout ?? surely not !

i have no answers but surely organisers are putting the cart before the horse. as i say no answers here but you must first make a rally appealing enough for record figures to attend , and not just declare the aim .

i remember Wynford has several times declared 100 cars attending Bath Rally as a target - usually well short. but again no real reason for a record number of owners to attend .

anyway the rally was a great success i think and well enjoyed by those attending . i do hope the organisers dont beat themselves up for what they didnt achieve , congrats on what they did  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

Thanks for all the pictures, (except the one of me with my mouth open)  I was too busy talking to take any.

Ah but there you are you see, there was never a moment all day when your mouth was closed!  ;D   :-*

Let's try another photo from prize giving. Caption time for Saint Grant's expression methinks. I'll start the ball rolling with:

"Oh no! He HAS brought that ruddy Ariel..."

;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:25:47 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

stiffy

• Just Starting
    • bondbugfiles
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Hi All,

Glad most of you seemed to enjoy this years National. Those I spoke to all seemed happy. It was a pity we didn't get the record but it was only a bit of fun as Guinness wouldn't recognise it anyway. :).

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »

i remember Wynford has several times declared 100 cars attending Bath Rally as a target - usually well short. but again no real reason for a record number of owners to attend .

The 100 figure for Bath was more a target set by Ray Simpson when we had the event at Victoria Park and it was primarily a one day entity. This was because a couple of times we got tantalisingly close to that figure - see the year of the newspaper supplement item featuring amongst others G.O.G.G.O. with his Trojan van. He will recall the date and publication I expect. In hindsight the loss of Victoria Park removed the special pull of this event as we were in a prime location and next to the Royal Crescent etc. giving those none petrol camp followers alternative activities to do. The two fold pressures of early health and safety rules and the wish of many attendees to have a weekend event meaning a campsite and the then reluctance to move sites loosened our hold on Victoria Park. Once lost we could never return. Subsequently the event has lost the backing of the Bristol Microcar Club which is now a mothballed club and pretty much all relies on Wynford to provide the event in the best way he sees fit each year. This despite his having removed a further 40 miles from the venue to live. Last year was the last the mothballed coffers of the BMCC could fund hence some extra effort to not only boost numbers but to attempt to get folk to underwrite what has been the only consistent annual Microcar Rally in the South of England I believe. I do not have figures for this years turnout but it was over 50 cars on a minimal advertising exposure. It was a success within its perimeters and has enough money to go again next year.
   The Bath Rally remains viable, partly due a tradition of a hardcore Yorkshire contingent rolling up some midland enthusiasts who all drive micros down to camp - harking back to the old days. But it reflects the situation at least prevalent in the South West, at one time perhaps the strongest area for Micro activity. Interest is now patchy and active participation has died back across all marques. Without support Bath cannot get 'better'. It struggles for support because it cannot get 'better'. Classic catch 22. We now face the fact that a bad year could finish the event off all together. Yet with some additional helpers, a revamp to perhaps a more prestigious venue with a cash injection the Rally could attract over 100 cars. How to achieve those tricks without the old local ground support? The National is fortunate indeed that it was deemed early on to create a fund to support the organisation of the series of events and much as I might like changes a group of people to provide some continuity of content. I just hope that does not become the oasis in an arid background as Wynford has with the BMCC and Bath. If it does then our hobby is in real trouble.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:10:35 PM by Big Al »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Hi All,

Glad most of you seemed to enjoy this years National. Those I spoke to all seemed happy. It was a pity we didn't get the record but it was only a bit of fun as Guinness wouldn't recognise it anyway. :).

That's all right. We do not recognize Guinness then. Don't get a record by drinking and driving, perhaps.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
yes al but actually wynford did set a target of 100 cars THIS YEAR !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977