Author Topic: Lost at the National...  (Read 4149 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Lost at the National...
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
 Did anyone present at the National happen to pick up my genuine 1960s Peel Engineering boat for safe-keeping whilst loading up at the end of Sunday? It was on display in Andy Carter's Trident for most of the day & was then placed near one of the Friskys whilst the cars were being moved round & has not been seen since.

The boat is over two feet long & two-tone blue & white, so not easy to miss. I thought Andy had it but he doesn't, so if anyone's got it safe, can they let me know. Much ta. Below is a photo of it from Jean's Open day last year.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:09:17 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
Re: Lost at the National...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
 Just rang the museum. They haven't got it nor seen it, so hopefully someone has picked it up?   ???

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
DEar Stuart

Try asking the Berkeley club and the guys who were talking to John Meadows as they may have picked it up not realising it's significance.

Chris Thomas

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »
The boat and mat were found by Malcolm Thomas lying on the grass in an empty field
He picked them up to make them safe and reported what he had done to the organisers (GrenvilleTaylor) saying he would look after them untill they could be returned to their owner.
I told Stuart this a couple of days ago and he will contact Malcolm.

Sorry chaps no  "robbers" here just an honest bloke doing the right thing

John Meadows

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »
 That is indeed correct John, with it being confirmed in the past few minutes that Malcolm Thomas does indeed have the boat safe & sound. Confermation had been a bit slow becuse my phone's been off for the past few days so one had to rely on emails etc to get round everyone.

So, to recap:  THIS BOAT IS SAFE & SOUND! with one of the best good egg's in bubbledom.  :-*

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
Brilliant news Stuart.  Some us though never doubted for a minute that this would be the case.  Within  3 days of realising it was missing there is the conclusion we all expected.  Sadly Grenville is touring with the East Anglian Microcar club at the moment so he is not aware of all the goings on other wise we would have found out the location of the boat and mat immediately.
There is still a camera to be reunited with its owner though, see previous posting. 
Alas it looks like the microcar fraternity has been returned to a state where'Micronauts were a great and trustworthy bunch' as Big Al puts it.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
I missed this - glad to hear it wasn't 'lost'. 

So I can now tell my story with a clear conscience.  In the 1970s the Queen came to launch HMS Invincible, the first 'Arrier Carrier, and they had a display of information and models for her to see on the way in, including a gorgeous model of a Harrier about 4-5 feet long and a similar width.  After the Queen's party has passed through, this model was never seen again - it had just gone walkabout.  How exactly do you get out of a shipyard with a 4-5 foot square model tucked under your coat?