Author Topic: Are these microcars?  (Read 2972 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Are these microcars?
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
I seem to remember a feature in RCN about microbuses/coaches. This picture poped up in connection with a BBC promgrame about postcard collecting.
Does anyone know where these are from , what engines were fitted etc?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Are these microcars?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
Lovely! I remember the RCN article but cannot remember the details except one or more were in South Down (Hants and Dorset?) livery.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
They're Johnston's Midget model coaches, made in Brighton by Mr. E. Johnstone, a former bus-driver and sergeant-major. Some info here http://www.thcoachwork.co.uk/mini.htm. Made in the 1940's & 50's and "powered by a two-stroke motorcycle engine".
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »
Woops, Johnstone not Johnston  :o Some had Villiers engines - 125 or 200cc according to various sources, and at least one used the wheels off a Brockhouse Corgi motorcycle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16823399@N04/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Physiotherapy departments used to have single small person sized vans that were pedal powered, You could put weights in them. It was designed to get spastic and other injured children to build up the mobility and strength of their legs and often followed by walking lessons in the pool. My Mum was a Physio, nicknamed 'The Sargent Major' funnily enough, not least as she took the men's knee class which was always one of the more difficult tasks for ill discipline. I occasionally had to go into the hospital over school holidays when she was at work and got to play with them if they were not in use. I wonder if such fun treatment is available nowadays? At least one of these vans went into private hands and had an engine put in the back of it. It used to do the rounds of the local shows. I am pretty certain they had spoked wheels similar to a Corgi but would that be Welbike as I recall this one of the differences between the designs? The engine was certainly one from a lawn mower but I do not recall if it was JAP, Villiers or something else two stroke. I also would say these vans were old when I was playing with them so I would put them at 1950-54 which would fit the style of the bodywork. The converted one was not road worthy but I believe some of the miniature buses were.
There are miniature Trojan Brooke Bond vans which are pictured with Chimps driving them. I stupidly cannot recall if the hospital ones were Trojans, they could have been. One previous owner, Chimp!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs