Author Topic: Goggo lights  (Read 2861 times)

swanktank

• Chatty
Goggo lights
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
Thanks Bob.
The back lights of a Goggo saloon have a similar problem to a 'schmitt's brake light- AMBER - which the MOT doesn't like.
I want to convert the amber half to flashers and the red half to rear lights + brake lights. So somehow I need two bulbs therein or a double filament one.
Any suggestions of a unit I could use to achieve this?
Thanks
M

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Goggo lights
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
i would assume the easiest thing is to find a more "sympathetic" m.o.t. station - much easier  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »
i would assume the easiest thing is to find a more "sympathetic" m.o.t. station - much easier  ;D

Just go to france and buy the MOT man some motorike tyres...

Worked for us ;)

Our MOT man is great. He loves old cars too!

When we just moved, we put the goggo coupe up for a MOT. Where you have to test the brakes, it was too light and it just skidded! My dad sat on the back, still no reading. He said doesnt matter, but he needed a reading. We put the Peugot 106 on, and there, got a reading!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
sssshhhhhh
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:57:08 AM »
There are, in fact, all red rear light lenses about but they are rare.

I had also thought about swapping the bulbs about. The top is simple enough to wire in to the winker circuit. This leaves a single bulb holder for rear light and brake light. The option of the Coupe interrupter system does not help though front indicators would be handy on a saloon in use. I would suggest there are two options.

Use the existing bulb as the rear light and put in a 15w - 18w, or only if pushed, 21w bulb holder and bulb in fastened to the backplate. The higher wattage the bulb the more it needs to be away from the lens which might melt. I have had units with extra festoon holders mounted and these worked fine.

The alternative is to go for a twin filament set up ex trailer or something. More difficult to get a low wattage bulb though and I am not sure if there is room to fit it happily.

More budget and you could go LCD or whatever those new bulbs are called.

I cannot point you at a specific kit or part I know will do the job I am afraid.

I never had a problem getting an MOT either but I can see it being an issue. It is also safer to have the lights arranged in a form they will be understood. Especially as I expect you will use the car daily and Eastbourne always surprises me as to how busy it is.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
Have you checked out www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk They may have a double bulb holder etc.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I do have a sympathetic MOT man. I was thinking about my safety, as Al said, as the standard flashers situated solely on either side of the vehicle could be hard to see from the point of view of other drivers. In addition there are plenty of motorists round here who don't (want to) see small vehicles or where thwy are going!
Anyway I have some ideas now.
M