Author Topic: Micros in Madison 2012  (Read 8170 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Micros in Madison 2012
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
Hello,

I am currently making the website for Micros in Madison 2012. The site is nearly finished.

Its a brand new site for Micros in Madison, GA 2012. There will be short runs in the country, an annual auction, of course the show, and the rally!

For more info, check

http://www.Microcar-Reunion.com/

Enjoy!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Micros in Madison 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
In your referring to a new "site" for Micros In Madison 2012, were you referring to a new locale for the event, or a new website that you were helping to design?
Will I see you and your dad there?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Whilst small compared to American machines I do not consider 2CV's , Mini's, Fiat 500's, Fiat Multipla, Autobianchi, Austin 7 and the Morris Minor a "micro".  They are merely small.

Seems like you can't discriminate so all are welcome.   Perhaps the show should be held in a Labour run London Borough more fittingly?!

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Whilst small compared to American machines I do not consider 2CV's....

Very well, I'll rise to the bait.  The vehicles you've listed may indeed be small in relation to some American machines, but certainly not all.  A Minnesota-made HMV Freeway is physically not much larger than a KV (although its 453cc engine is quite a bit larger than the 125cc powerplant of a Mini 1):

and of course a KV is, in turn, considerably smaller than a 2CV:

By US standards the cars on your list span the range between minicars and microcars.  The Vintage Microcar Club (Hi, Jim!) uses a cutoff of 1000cc for microcars, which is admittedly a bit more generous than the RUMCar limit of 700cc.  All of this can be a surprisingly touchy subject, but most microcar meets in the US welcome minicars, too, so in practice it's not a "big" deal.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
In your referring to a new "site" for Micros In Madison 2012, were you referring to a new locale for the event, or a new website that you were helping to design?
Will I see you and your dad there?

I meant a website. The website is completely finished now! It may get the odd photo added, or maybe more text, but its complete!

No idea if we will be there. I would really love to, depends on school.

I agree withn the 2cv thing...
To me, those arent really microcars, but I guess I am used to them, you find them everywhere here! They are still small cars, welcome to rallies, but to me notr the same category.

Always loved the KV, it just needed to have been better built, a bit bulkier with a 250cc engine!

JP
Mopeds:

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
Whilst small compared to American machines I do not consider 2CV's....

Very well, I'll rise to the bait.  The vehicles you've listed may indeed be small in relation to some American machines, but certainly not all.  A Minnesota-made HMV Freeway is physically not much larger than a KV (although its 453cc engine is quite a bit larger than the 125cc powerplant of a Mini 1):

and of course a KV is, in turn, considerably smaller than a 2CV:

By US standards the cars on your list span the range between minicars and microcars.  The Vintage Microcar Club (Hi, Jim!) uses a cutoff of 1000cc for microcars, which is admittedly a bit more generous than the RUMCar limit of 700cc.  All of this can be a surprisingly touchy subject, but most microcar meets in the US welcome minicars, too, so in practice it's not a "big" deal.

Touchy indeed. 

A one litre car is a very generous ceiling for a micro.

Save a TG and Mk3 Scootacar et al (Bonds/Berkeleys etc)  I'd say 200cc is the original Euro maxima.

Micro is as Micro does. 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:24 AM »
if you really want to get picky about this, the meet is not "MICROS IN MADISON 2012"
It has no relationship to the meets that Bruce Weiner put on from 2001 to 2009

While part of it is held on the grounds of Bruce's Museum, the event is not an official Weiner event.
The actual name of the event is "MICROCAR REUNION"

also- all the images are of past Micros in Madison events, for some reason there are no photos of actual "Microcar Reunion" that was held this past May.
Why is that?
(the "auction" video is actually from the Microcar-Reunion 2011 though...)

I guess everything on the internet is free for the taking and repurposing as people see fit.  ::)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:14 AM »

Different country, different scene. It cannot be knocked when America is being more dynamic than the UK in events with a 'membership' of far less density and so much larger area. In the early '80's there was virtually no active scene so I think it is remarkable how the two countries have performed over that time.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
I thought a Madison was a type of velodrome race. So I will look forward to a video of MIcrocars and MInicars doing a Madison. I can dream.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
I thought a Madison was a type of velodrome race.
It's certainly a dance, as in that immortal line from Brad Majors at the end of the Time Warp in the Rocky Horror Picture Show:
"hey... any of you guys know the Madison?"

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Different country, different scene. It cannot be knocked when America is being more dynamic than the UK in events with a 'membership' of far less density and so much larger area. In the early '80's there was virtually no active scene so I think it is remarkable how the two countries have performed over that time.

ah, but there was a fairly active "scene" in America.  We had Marilyn Felling running the HMI (Heinkel, Messerschmitt Isetta) Club from the late 1970's to the late 1980's
She published a newsletter that -at times- came out MONTHLY!  There were a number of small meets that went on throughout the US during that time and the classifieds were filled with people buying and selling cars and parts.  
You can actually buy every back issue on a DVD here:  www.IsettaLady.com
I have a pile of color photos that she gave me to scan from that era.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
if you really want to get picky about this, the meet is not "MICROS IN MADISON 2012"
It has no relationship to the meets that Bruce Weiner put on from 2001 to 2009

While part of it is held on the grounds of Bruce's Museum, the event is not an official Weiner event.
The actual name of the event is "MICROCAR REUNION"

also- all the images are of past Micros in Madison events, for some reason there are no photos of actual "Microcar Reunion" that was held this past May.
Why is that?
(the "auction" video is actually from the Microcar-Reunion 2011 though...)

I guess everything on the internet is free for the taking and repurposing as people see fit.  ::)

I know that there not the same rally, but I just call it the same!

I was told to put those pictures on the website. I made the site, but I don't choose the contents. However, I see nothing wrong with having those pics as long as he has permission, because its still the same area!
Mopeds:

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
However, I see nothing wrong with having those pics as long as he has permission, because its still the same area!

I was never contacted about permission to use my photos to advertise a different event.
Every single photo posted was an aerial photo taken by me of a different event that I helped organize, coordinate and document.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
However, I see nothing wrong with having those pics as long as he has permission, because its still the same area!

I was never contacted about permission to use my photos to advertise a different event.
Every single photo posted was an aerial photo taken by me of a different event that I helped organize, coordinate and document.

Just sent you a PM
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »

ah, but there was a fairly active "scene" in America.

I was meaning in terms of visible meetings of groups of people doing stuff together with the cars rather than club infrastructure. If you think in terms of America the suggestion that an event is too far away at 60 miles in the 80's would mean you would, in all likelihood, never attend an event. The UK is small. So ignoring Scotland above the industrialised belt you are actually probably not more than 200 miles from a central event. Dial in local meets and the majority of the Micro owners are going to be with 60 miles of at least two events a year. Yet numbers are down. A complex set of reasons more than microcars but by proportion America is where it is at for the moment. This is underlined by a net movement of cars to  continental America.