Author Topic: Progress Supreme Tourette  (Read 22898 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Progress Supreme Tourette
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
Back in 1976 I restored a Tourette. First photo shows it just after swapping it for a 600 Panther/Double Adult Combination. Second photo is after restoration all sprayed up in it's Ford Red colour. I also made the hood and sidescreens from double duck. It was sold in 1977 fully road legal to Malcolm Goldsworthy along with my Peels and other micros. I wonder who has it now?

When  looking on Elvis' 3-wheeler site I saw a picture showing it as used to be owned by a Bob Gale? I have also spotted it in various books. The Reg. No. isn't listed on the dvla site so has it been stripped of its registration. Is it lurking in an old barn anywhere? Does anyone know of its fate? If the owner is out there, I have various old photos they may wish to have.

I believe there are three left, "mine", the one in Jean's collection and another somewhere in Kent. 
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Progress Supreme Tourette
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »
Hi Rob. Malcolm still owns it!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
I quite like the two-tone paintjob, was that the original colour?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
no brutsches were only ever one colour . tee hee ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
THere are two parts of one that was subject to a bad debt in the West country. All rather sad really.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
looks as if you made a nice job of the hood and screens
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
Hi Rob. Malcolm still owns it!

Who on Earth is Bob Gale then?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »

No. The red bottom was original gell coat colour and the orange top coat, YUKY-YUK-YUK, looked as if it it had been put on with a tar brush. It took hours to rub down by hand. The only 'power tool' I had in those days was a large 1935 air compressor and cheap spray gun. Also used it on one of my Peels and a Mk 2 Scootacar now in Story Museum. Scans from 1976 prints.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
I can only guess that Bob Gale is Bob Dobie, someone got there wires crossed.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
This is the page from Elvis' site. http://www.3wheelers.com/tourette.html I never sent him the photo, it's the first time I've seen it. Looking at the yard where it's parked I wonder if the photo came from Malcolm Thomas as he picked up the car from a yard that was opposite where I had just moved to in '77.  Last picture I have of Tourette being taken away. 

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 12:29:35 AM »
Thanks for the info and some great photos.

I came across this sales brochure on ebay whilst looking for some more pictures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290559555264
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:01:47 AM »
If you email me a very good scan (or send the photos) I can bring a bit of life back into them for you.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »

AS Rob said the two tone wasn't original on that car but according to the brochure the "Senior model " could be ordered in dual tone in any combination of the stock colours which were Ivory, red or blue so I guess you could have red and white or blue and white. I have a copy of the crudely produced brochure which is just a typed document with sketch drawings but gives amazing detail as to the cars construction and the variation in which you could order one. 8E or 9E engines, hard top, soft top ,hardtop with role down centre panel etc. Compared with the launch of the Nobel with all the glamour models and glossy brochures the Tourettes launch was rather pathetic and maybe the reason why not many were produced. Two things do come out of reading through the period literature though, its emphasised many times that the car is all British and also that these cars WERE referred to as MICROCARS even in the 1950's which contradicts something said recently I think by Dan who was under the impression along with myself that this was more of a modern term.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:48:27 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »
sorry to disagree again BUT this does NOT " emphasise many times that the car is all british ...." far from it actually .
it does state " produced in Britain " once ! it does refer to continental style and the french magazine refers to it as " plus continental"

now who is being unbiased Bob ?

dont doubt the next bit , it will be interesting to pin down possible first use of the term microcar. copy is poor and i cant find it , who said it , a magazine or Carrs ?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
Dear Bob and Malcolm

According to Tony's excellent book the factory was little more than an assembly plant for both the Tourette and the Progress scooters. The engines were Villiers, but do we know who would have made the GRP body, and who would have made the chassis, as there was no welding bay in the factory and no room for GRP moulds.  Apart from the wheels, tyres, electrics and glass which were probably all British, what else is there that could be anything other than British?

Interesting to see that the sales address was 852 Brighton Road, which was next to the old Purley Hospital, while the factory backed onto the railway line in Whytecliffe Road.

Chris Thomas