Author Topic: National Rally - Scootacars?  (Read 25047 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
National Rally - Scootacars?
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:18 AM »
The bush network tells me that next years National Microcar Rally is to be held in the environs of Great Yarmouth. To the north of there is the Broads and an area the BUMS have done several times. There is a museum which has a few Steam Launches operate from it, another ex Auther Ransom boat can take you into the reed beds to look at the wildlife etc etc. We did a run across the Reedham Ferry, I think, and to a car museum/stately home castle thingy which has a Trienkel on display but we were not greatly impressed preferring the Tram Museum which had moving things and interested bods to talk to. As we had odd cars we were parked inside the grounds and got free tea. Loads of other things to check out. So while a long drive for many I can recommend the area once your there - great for a weeks hols.

Since Stephen Boyd is pretty nearby to this venue and we failed to create a get together this summer after Martin's aborted attempt perhaps this next National Rally in the series should be made the Scootacar special. Stephen would be tickle pink I hope and it should serve to improve the quality of the Scootacars left to us.

In mentioning Martin I can report that the first year of the MacKeever shipping line has been a great success. Liberty Bell has operated well carrying up to 12 passengers out of Ely all summer with two skippers sharing duties. Martin doing most weekends as owner. He has a Scootacar which parks next to his sandwich board as advertising on the quayside. This lives with a lady who used to have Messerschmitts a short distance away when not in service. She enjoys having the car there for old times sake and Martin enjoys the odd cuppa! The down side is Martin has done very little Microwise this year as he has two jobs and his father is getting frail. Now we know that Liberty Bell is a proper business stuff can be worked round it. Nice to hear a success story in these gloomy times. I am hoping he buys a steam boat to go with Liberty Bell. Indeed I might be a sleeping partner in that, a thing I have always fancied.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Trident

• Quite Chatty
Re: National Rally - Scootacars?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
We don't  all need a bush network Alan, the info about next year's NMCR is on their brilliant website; http://www.national-microcar-rally.co.uk/
Did you miss the special Scootacar National we had at Huntingdon 4 years ago when about 11 Scootacars turned up.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
The link to Rose Farm Touring Park on the NMCR website doesn't work.

Is this the place?   http://rosefarmtouringpark.com/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:58:53 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
It won't be a quiet rural village once the Microcar Mob hit town next year, with the straight through exhaust pipes, Chassis straightening and general cursing when gearboxes break. Do they know what they are letting themselves in for?

Still it is a nice part of the country. I think it is great that it moving from west to east, and then presumably north to south (we have done the middle) Great idea.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
an awful long way from the north west ( 6 hours ) , or anywhere really  :), it is a lovely area and flat so good for runs . unfortunately its moved again so clashes with Beaulieu . i will be helping goggo out again . a real shame after about 3 years of not clashing
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
I cant go again either. As the National is usually the first weekend in September I craftily booked the Sept holiday to start on the second weekend and what do they do? Move the national to the second weekend!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  Maybe the National committee just dont want me to go! I guess I could go on the Thursday and Friday but its hardly the same as being there for the weekend.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
ah well if you cant make it .......... :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
We don't  all need a bush network Alan, the info about next year's NMCR is on their brilliant website; http://www.national-microcar-rally.co.uk/
Did you miss the special Scootacar National we had at Huntingdon 4 years ago when about 11 Scootacars turned up.

I did as I have not been cruising the web on searches into micros being busy with other topics and had seen no official announcement. So I was not aware of the date which I can now enter on our date listing. Positive active advertising is always more effective than passive advertising where the client has to find the information. I have done them a small favour as I bet not all were aware even on this forum. Still early days yet.

My observation is clashing with Beaulieu has historically hurt numbers at the National, especially if folk were thinking of coming over from abroad. Shame as it will immediately provide a choice to South Western/Central owners on a long trip or to go to the Autojumble instead. Half will not make up their minds and go to neither probably. Hey ho.

I saw the Scootacars at Huntingdon and it was great. I did not have any then and this is now. Steven lives only yards away from this venue. Just a thought anyway. Folks organise as they see fit and support comes in proportion to knowledge and convenience of the target clientèle, I do not make the rules up.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
Looking at the site details it would suggest the clash with Beaulieu might be due to off peak camping rates starting on the 6th September. Makes sense.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »
Al, do you know which Arthur Ransome boat it is? His last, Peter Duck was designed by my Grandad for him. Peter Duck was the first of quite a successful range, but it was a tough job or Grandad. AR was old and suffering from bad arthritis. Grandad designed a great sail and rig plan for him, but he was very stubborn and insisted on a traditional one despite planning to use it in narrow confines. My Mum recalls how angry he was , saying "He will not like it and it will not suit him."
Enter Blue Leopard in Google and see pics of one of his finest. He aslo developed Marine Ply forming techniques and during Vera Lynne War he lent his skills to de Havilland, designing th wood structures of Mosquito, Hornet (like a smaller, faster Mossie) and the fuselage of the jet Vampire.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
It is not a sailing boat. Its link I have forgotten but it is now a seats up to 12 passenger launch. I will have to read up on my original scribble done at the time and get back.

However Dave Hambledon is also an Arther Ransome bod and is looking for the Trojan element of 'Rattletrap' to buy. He inches closer to an identifiable vehicle. He is a member of the Ransome club. He also has interest in the Broads cruisers as there are a few with Trojan engines fitted. He certainly knows about the Peter Duck and I recall the class of boat from my sailing days. Might be worth an email to him.

My dad loved the Mossy but he was on the ali skinned planes as an engineer as part of the cutting edge Hersley Park team. So despite the technology being around him I do not think he was directly involved. That said they all knew and had reference to wood stress information to the extent that one of them wrote a full stress analysis of his house extension made in an aircraft sort of construction on the council turning his planning application down to prove it was actually over strong design. They could not really argue with a world expert so had to let him do it! So it is a unique building in Nailsea now. These guys were very clever people. All done on slide rules, heads and hand skills. No computers in sight.

We were only discussing the other day that Fairey and Supermarine used laminated ply on their fast motor boats. Not quite the same as forming but very much the same area. Have you seen Friend Wood's wood 2CV based Trike. Suit you sir! Oh!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I met DH about 3 years ago and he was very interested to hear about my Grandad's contact with him! Grandad also designed hulls for a number of WW2 fast coastal patrol boats, downed-pilot rescue dinghies dropped from planes, and such like. His slide rule was about 5 ft long with a pop-up magnifier on the sliding index (forgot its proper name). Boss of a local theatrical chandler (very useful and good prices for nuts, bolts, paint, tools etc) has one of my Grandad's Virtue Class. All teak, very pretty in and out, and he goes on amazing adventure and discovery journeys, like up into the Arctic, around Bear Island and the Maelstrøm, the world's bleakest places, then does great slide-show lectures with lashings of Badger Beers for guests. A character not unlike Sir Ranulph Twisleton Wyckhenham Fiennes.

Hid did not design any Micros, not even Scootercars, and never went to a National Rally, neatly steering the thread back towards its topic!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »
like chris evans' top tenuous - if your a radio 2 man

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »
"on the sliding index (forgot its proper name). "    Isnt it just called the slide? Or was you refering to the cursor? {thats a car isnt it?}
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:36:57 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
http://home.clara.net/peterfrost/tryaneii.html

friend wood's citroen as mentioned by al. it was at NMCR at least 1 year wasn't it