Author Topic: National Rally - Scootacars?  (Read 25209 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: National Rally - Scootacars?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Dear Rob

You may be related to a Monkey but I think I am related to a Whale.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
Not you Rob, judging by your avatar photo you are descended from dinosaurs!

I don't think I am related to Stephen Fry
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »

I am related to a Whale.

Which beach were you found on?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
Dear Rob

Fagus Sylvatica

derived from the Greek phagein to eat

Chris Thomas

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »
Chris,

Oh, so you're not related to a whale on a beach but Fagus sylvatica, the European Beech or Common Beech that can be very large.

So therefor my ancestors could have been swinging in yours then?

Rob.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »

As Devo said ' God made man, but he used the Monkey to do it' - 'Are we not men? No. We are Devo!'. Life's a Beech!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »
How did you guys get so far off topic?
What started out as a proposal for a Scootacar rally has been allowed to morph into a 21st century perverted version of the Monkey trials.

For the sake of humanity will somebody please kill this thread?   
Or at least change its moniker to more properly reflect its insolence to Darwinian evolution.
Its one thing to have heroically ascended from a common tree dwelling progenitor. 
Yet another to embellish a mentality that would disgrace a properly socialized Australopithicine.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
Oh, I dont know Steven. Darwinian evolution deserves all the insolence it gets plus as he was an Englishman we reserve the right to take the Mick. :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
I think the answer to the original question was an emphatic - NO. That being the case it was time to do something more interesting on the forum.

Back to the event then.

Had a chat with the BUMS. Our local spy says that there is a campsite further north on the coast which offers more possibility of adventure, like a beach barbecue in the evening, and has a cracking pub just along the road. Not sure if it is not the one we have used before. He was up for Scootacaring too but on the basis it sounds like no one wants to play he wants to centre us down the road. They will do a deal for Microcars with tents in our own area which will probably pay for our weekends fuel in savings as we are not using campervans or their size pitch. We can use the Reedham Ferry to trot across to the main event, which will be fun. Enquiries are being made about chartering a steam boat on the Broads Sunday afternoon as most of the event will be off home about 3.00 pm as usual. That we we get a full long weekend out of the effort. We can then drive via the lanes back to our Cambridgeshire park ferme to disperse on our various routes home. This allows us to leave trailers etc behind in reach but and some driving in. Early days yet but sounds good to me.

Meanwhile there is talk of a 'camp' site being selected for those who are likely to congregate down at Beaulieu since some folk will do several days there and the evening remains free for a get together somewhere. There might be an organised meal advertised which may even pull out those MIcronauts with stands. No idea what this all means. Could be waffle but could end up with a small number of cars touring while also taking in the two Autojumbles on in the area over the 3 days.

I expect this will be received with the same open arms as getting a few Scoots along to the National but it is on topic. Alternatively I can not publicize these subversive activities as I was not and continue to attempt to offer you some entertaining banter instead. The third option is to go away, swinging through the Beech trees, free and unfettered to evolve into any kind of car enthusiast that can survive the a hyke in quality car prices in a recession.  A prehensile tail would be darned useful in the workshop!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
LOL!!!   Seriously, the Campsite /jumbling/driving weekend sounds a good idea!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

How did you guys get so far off topic?
What started out as a proposal for a Scootacar rally has been allowed to morph into a 21st century perverted version of the Monkey trials

Or at least change its moniker to more properly reflect its insolence to Darwinian evolution.
Its one thing to have heroically ascended from a common tree dwelling progenitor. 
Yet another to embellish a mentality that would disgrace a properly socialized Australopithicine.

Personally I favour the views of T.C. Lethbridge in his 1969 book 'The Monkey's Tail' which rather leaves Darwin somewhat in the gutter. Whatever one's views of life, the universe & everything, I would recommend anyone to read 'The essentual T.C. Lethbridge' (1980) at least once in their life.

Ok, something back on topic.... ermmm, er. Ah, I know;  RYTECRAFT!!!!     ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Ah!!! Dont mention Lethbridge, it will start Chris yacking on about Dowsing again!
Still if he recons he can dowse out those Peels buried in the new Forest I think we should let him!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
Dear Bob

I almost got stranded in Lethbridge about 25 years ago It was the end of May and a snow storm blew in. The Cessna was grounded so we hired a car and made it into Calgary (Canada that is) before the snow cought up with us. I have never been to Darwin, but would like to go there some day.

All I said was that it should be possible to dowse out if a car has been buried in the location Bob knows and I would be willing to teach him the technique. Where Darwin comes into the discussion on dowsing I know not!!!

Dowsing Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »
Dear Bob

I almost got stranded in Lethbridge about 25 years ago It was the end of May and a snow storm blew in. The Cessna was grounded so we hired a car and made it into Calgary (Canada that is) before the snow cought up with us. I have never been to Darwin, but would like to go there some day.

All I said was that it should be possible to dowse out if a car has been buried in the location Bob knows and I would be willing to teach him the technique. Where Darwin comes into the discussion on dowsing I know not!!!

Dowsing Thomas

He doesnt but T C Lethbridge does.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
Friend Wood (how can that be his real name?) does beautiful work, though the last picture of the Tryane I saw showed that he may not have believed as much in a UV-blocking varnish to protect the epoxy as he should have, as many of the planking seams have discoloured.

On the nautical theme, the plug on which the Tryane was cold-moulded is a thing of beauty in its own right.

And FW has built smaller - see the lovely plywood velomobile.

Big Al, your aversion to automatic equipment and its ability to encourage people to make fools of themselves is misplaced - mistakes have become so much more epic.  Forty years ago at college they had a prototype CNC mill on loan from Cincinnati and had kept the 'little programming whoopsie' - a 6" thick block of aluminium which instead of being drilled, had advanced too far and created a perfect negative image of an entire drill chuck.