Author Topic: 1955 Messerschmitt First Drive!  (Read 3757 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
1955 Messerschmitt First Drive!
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
Hey,

We got our '55 car driving today! Yep, the carthat scared my hand! (I was removing the engine a couple months back, while my dad was busy spraying a schmitt nose. Since this early car has a lower boot catch, I accidentally whacked it, and it closed on my hand while I was holding the heavy engine! I had to call my dad for him to put the spray gun down, and lift the boot!)

So, here is a video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrM1JJ0loz0

Yes, thats me saying "OY!"

Enjoy!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: 1955 Messerschmitt First Drive!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
I love cars in this sort of condition. Basically whole, original and requiring conserving. So much more interesting than something over restored. Interesting it has a blue interior. I was expecting brown.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
I love cars in this sort of condition. Basically whole, original and requiring conserving. So much more interesting than something over restored. Interesting it has a blue interior. I was expecting brown.

Its not in original condition suprisingly. He said he had an accident in it, (well, the previous owner we think, no idea since he wasnt fully with it).

Its been repainted, had a new wing, and a new door unfortunatelly.
ne of the wings (original) is a very unusual shape. Seems like a 2 piece modified 175 wing, very rounded.
The door is still an early doo, but not as early as it should be.

It wasd originally grey and blue, thats why it had blue interior. Brown wouold look quite nice, sibnce a lot of parts are painted tan colour, like 175's. (all of the inside panels are tan, and other small bits)
Mopeds:

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
your typpngs gotting wurst jonno  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »
I thought the early wings were three parts but if it is a modified 175 then maybe that pre-dates the three part. Interesting it has bits from a later early car. I had thought the early cars all had brown interior. I wonder if they swapped the interiors over? Evidence will gather on such things during fiddling no doubt. Having a bang is all in the history of the car. Like Bazzer which has its dent from the dustbin lorry.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
I thought the early wings were three parts but if it is a modified 175 then maybe that pre-dates the three part. Interesting it has bits from a later early car. I had thought the early cars all had brown interior. I wonder if they swapped the interiors over? Evidence will gather on such things during fiddling no doubt. Having a bang is all in the history of the car. Like Bazzer which has its dent from the dustbin lorry.

Ys iut hjas Rich!

Al, its definitally original interior! It has a very unusual small pocket on the drivers seat, and has some sort of parcelshelf lining. Both original, a guy on schmitt talk said he has the same.

I think they are 2 part wings, not 3 part. Maybe they have the 3rd part on the seam where it bolts on the car, but I dont think so. It has an obvious line on the wing that shows a split. We first thought it was a repair, but we dont think so anymore, Anders showed us some of his early wings, and they where the same.

Suprising there arent many more earlier cars than ours found. It is chassis 213, so still quite a few left to find!
Anders said pur one was the most original of the  3 earliest cars.
Vic Hyde's one is chassis 33, but has been modded by Vic, and restored. Anders's one has been fully restored, as it was like new.
Our one is virtually all original. Door, *wong* (remember that rich?) and paint may have been changed, but there still the nearest things to original we can get!
Pain must have been done before 1960, so the part swap aswell!
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
Perhaps I am getting confused with the rear mudguard. They would not have made production more complex. Interior is interesting. Sadly 259 is now fully restored as was 251 I think, Dave Easter. These were the early cars in the UK unless anyone knows better. Be interesting to know what number the first UK publicity car was.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Perhaps I am getting confused with the rear mudguard. They would not have made production more complex. Interior is interesting. Sadly 259 is now fully restored as was 251 I think, Dave Easter. These were the early cars in the UK unless anyone knows better. Be interesting to know what number the first UK publicity car was.

Yeah, its got a 3 piece mudguard.

I find restoring fine as long as the car isnt in OK original condition.
This nobel is sadly maybe going to be restored soon. In my opinion, its in great original condition.

JP
Mopeds: