Author Topic: Was this the old Brighton Isetta factory?  (Read 2662 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Was this the old Brighton Isetta factory?
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
 Whilst browsing upon the fairyland of eBay yesterday I came upon a listing offering a DVD of the 2008 demolition of the Pullman Railway Works at Brighton. Described as "Being accessed almost exclusively by rail" I ponder if this area was any part of the old Brighton Isetta factory?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEMOLITION-PULLMAN-RAILWAY-WORKS-BRIGHTON-DVD-2008-/350509797874?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item519c0311f2

Demolition of the Pullman Works at Brighton October 2008

The Pullman Works at Brighton sat derelict for many years before the decision was finally made to demolish it. Years of vandalism and neglect had left it in a bad way.

Occupying a curious triangular plot of land at the junction of the main London to Brighton line and the westbound coast line, it was hoped by some that this building would one day be used as a railway museum. Being accessed almost exclusively by rail, this was sadly never likely to happen.

Numerous interesting artefacts were salvaged from the building before demolition started, including some wagons, which went off to preserved lines including the Bluebell.

This film shows a variety of views of the building while demolition was actually in progress from three main vantage points south, west and north of the site. Footage was also taken from a couple of moving trains to get a trackside perspective. The photo in this listing is an actual still from the film; rest assurred it appears far more clearly in the finished product, I only use screen shots for listing purposes.

Initial shots include seeing demolition crews using cutting gear to burn through the steel roof joists, followed by the awesome sight of seeing two huge roof sections brought crashing down, seen in slow motion. See diggers loading the rubble on designated goods trains and see the relatively empty site towards the end of the process.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:11:11 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Was this the old Brighton Isetta factory?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
Sounds possible!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
seems odd that no-one has confirmed this one for stuart yet
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »
I sent this to Stuart days ago. http://www.isetta-owners-club-gb.com/brighton.htm  Isettas were made in the old Locomotive Works.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
sorry rob i was was awaiting confirmation i knew it was A locomotive works in brighton just didnt know if it was THIS locomotive works . i dont suppose many of the old three wheeler factories factories still survive  , although the old bond minicar factory in preston is still a major car dealership using many if not all the old sheds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:22:14 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »
The website mybrightonandhove.org.uk might help in chasing down the facts as it mentions both pullman and Isetta factories and has several pics including the one of Isettas behind a tank engine leaving the works.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs