Author Topic: Villiers dynastart engine  (Read 30739 times)

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
Villiers dynastart engine
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Does anyone think the eBay item number 230715341330 marked stationary engine may be a 9E dynastart or is it my wishful thinking.

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
Re: Villiers dynastart engine
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
Is the number given correct? I find a Samsung TV under that number...
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Sorry the number is 230715341380 and not 330.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
That one is an 11E, similar but doesnt have a posative stop gearbox.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Ideal for a machine without positive stop brakes then. No good for a Scootacar but perhaps ideal elsewhere. A positive start dynostart would be handy.

So many choices with Villiers. Buy a good one and then negotiate the right one?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
Sorry could you explain to a Newbie what is meant by "positive stop brakes" / "gearbox or positive start / dynostart"???
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
Sorry, once you get to know Big Al you will learn not to take his posts too seriously. Re posative stop gearbox, it means that the arm that actuates the gear change is pushed forward , the gear changes and then the lever returns to its original position, you can only move through the box one gear after the other by repeating the action. The 11E gearbox is sequenial, the lever selects a different gear dependant on the position it is left in , it doesnt return to its original position, these gearshifts usualy have some kind of gate to show which gear its in. The disadvantage is that its possible to accidently go through more gears than you intended when changing.  Does that make any sense? I have seen 11E engines in scootacars.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
Sorry, once you get to know Big Al you will learn not to take his posts too seriously. Re posative stop gearbox, it means that the arm that actuates the gear change is pushed forward , the gear changes and then the lever returns to its original position, you can only move through the box one gear after the other by repeating the action. The 11E gearbox is sequenial, the lever selects a different gear dependant on the position it is left in , it doesnt return to its original position, these gearshifts usualy have some kind of gate to show which gear its in. The disadvantage is that its possible to accidently go through more gears than you intended when changing.  Does that make any sense? I have seen 11E engines in scootacars.

But can't you swap the parts over to make a 11e a 9e?
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
You can swap the gearbox over but the cowlings are different.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »

I have seen 11E engines in scootacars.

Yes, a shame but a product of not being worth anything years ago. So they gained engines from ICs. Now the ICs need engines with the growing interest and round we go. All part of the fun and a good reason to find unmolested cars if possible.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
all mk11s had 11E's!
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
all mk11s had 11E's!

Mine hasn't. It has a 9E something or other. Was it 9E/RE or 9E/SE or something. Back to the fact this has been in there a long time but then that does not make it right. I must double check the number as I have been communicating with Richard about Villiers matters and now have realised this might also be an interesting engine. It is a reversing car with black box.

As a matter of interest my MkII has the white neutral light. Does that appear with the 11E?

Talking to Andy Carter it seems the nice lozenge indicators are extinct. If Andy cannot find them over years at Newark Autojumble they must be tricky. I have the makings of one unit.

I am confidant I have the rear lights now thanks to that discussion. I would far prefer to attempt to have these things original and correct and with an unrestored car that is perhaps easier. Bit of a bummer if the engine is wrong though.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
11E engines in scootacars

I've seen people use them in Frisky's also, I hear the 11E's lighter anyway, or is that complete fallacy?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:39:58 PM by blob »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
do you mind blob . under 18's may be reading this :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »
al . which lozenge indicators off which car ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977