Author Topic: Villiers engine wanted  (Read 9608 times)

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
Villiers engine wanted
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
Hi I´m searching for nice spare engines in good condition, Villier 327cc " Cyl. 2 Stroke and Villiers 9E 1 Cyl 2 stroke, can anybody help?
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Villiers engine wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
Join the que!

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
That gives me hope >:(
As you know the fun is in the hunt not in the kill  ;D
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
I won't offer you my spare ones then. The hunt would be far too short.           Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
I won't offer you my spare ones then. The hunt would be far too short.           Nick.

I knew you had spare villiers engines, but I didnt know which ones, so I didnt say ;) Don't you have a brand new one aswell?

Thats the good thing for me. My dads Nobel came with a whad of spares, and I earn small parts by heping my dad with the cars, like lifitng monocoques, stripping paint of the bodies, bolting on aluminium, dismantling schmitts that need to be restored, laying upside down in a schmitt trying to hold a nut while my dad tightens it, etc!

By the way, this will shock most of you. I'm starting to prefer schmitts to Nobels!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
Both the Villiers engines are N.O.S.                           Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »

Offer him a short engine and then the hunt can still be long?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
About 8 years ago I was chatting by phone to Alf Snell (Villiers engine man) about the 8e and Villiers engines. He was telling me about when go-karts first came out over here and some people started to make them up from kits. The police were mystified to why they kept on finding abandoned lightweight motorcycles hidden in hedges down country lanes. It turned out that most of them, now engine-less, had been stolen for their Villiers 9e engine to be fitted in the newly built go-karts!

Also when the blue invalid carriages came out with 9e/11e motor there wasn't any MOH approved repairers for the vehicles so normal garages were used for repairs etc. The mechanics couldn't understand the little 197cc engine so if anything went wrong, even a simple fault, the "old" engine was sent back to the MOH in exchange for a new one to be fitted. Years later Alf was asked by the Ministry if he would like to put in an offer for the so called broken engines.  Un-seen, a bid of 50p (10/-) was offered for each engine. This was accepted and before he could pay around 300 engines, were delivered to him. Most of them were like new with simple faults like coils and wiring. I think he broke most of them for spares in his shop.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:16:52 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
Amazing story Rob. Alf is still going and lives up my way.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
Great, I'm glad He's still about. A very interesting bloke to talk to.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
About 8 years ago I was chatting by phone to Alf Snell (Villiers engine man) about the 8e and Villiers engines. He was telling me about when go-karts first came out over here and some people started to make them up from kits. The police were mystified to why they kept on finding abandoned lightweight motorcycles hidden in hedges down country lanes. It turned out that most of them, now engine-less, had been stolen for their Villiers 9e engine to be fitted in the newly built go-karts!

Also when the blue invalid carriages came out with 9e/11e motor there wasn't any MOH approved repairers for the vehicles so normal garages were used for repairs etc. The mechanics couldn't understand the little 197cc engine so if anything went wrong, even a simple fault, the "old" engine was sent back to the MOH in exchange for a new one to be fitted. Years later Alf was asked by the Ministry if he would like to put in an offer for the so called broken engines.  Un-seen, a bid of 50p (10/-) was offered for each engine. This was accepted and before he could pay around 300 engines, were delivered to him. Most of them were like new with simple faults like coils and wiring. I think he broke most of them for spares in his shop.

What a great deal. Pity they did not do the same for end of life, twits. Might have paid a couple of pensions off.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs