Author Topic: Hill Climb in a Sans Permis  (Read 6706 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Hill Climb in a Sans Permis
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwa1GM6dffw&feature=youtu.be

Sans Permis 50cc racing (I think they have tuned the engine).

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Hill Climb in a Sans Permis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwa1GM6dffw&feature=youtu.be

Sans Permis 50cc racing (I think they have tuned the engine).

Wow, thats what I call a load of fun!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
It had to happen. What was I saying about racing a new small car constructed to class rules?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
I will be 'polishing the piston' on my Acoma Super Comtesse this morning - that should do the trick.  (no funny comments please).

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
As a 600cc R6 Yam engine makes 120-130hp @ 14,000rpm as standard and somewhat more with a turbo strapped onto it, I'm not convinced these are still strictly 'sans permis', except in the sense that if caught driving one, you would quickly become 'sans permis'....

However it's still under the 700cc limit, so we can talk about it to our heart's content.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
At the risk of creating an uproar about talking money I would point out that the car is worth very little money and clearly offers a great deal of excitement when driven on a closed event with its small engine. It is, therefore, directly comparable to a replica or modified Microcar that is then not driven on the road much but taken to events. Given this example filmed I have to wonder why you would bother to 'invest' in a car offering little additional advantage to the original machine copied in so many cases. This guy has created something that still identifies as what it was, is totally bonkers and looks incredibly good fun. It just has to be better value for money and better poser status ultimately. But then this is from someone who does not really understand the point in not having the real thing unless you use the ideas to create something radically different.

As an aside to the above. It is well known that quite a few of these Sans Permis cars have very good ali chassis and not unreasonable suspension components. Where they fall down is the very lightweight built of the bodies and the rather unimpressive engines. They are a product of some arbitrary State created rules and made down to fit the class. One wonders what could appear if the rules were altered or the basic parts were taken on by some other country who just wanted small cars on Greek Islands or something. Something wonderful could be created. A European answer to the Japanese Kew class cars, of which a smattering made it over to the UK. Little pocket rockets.

Heading in a different direction these same well made chassis could be the basis of a much more green car than most of the rubbish currently available or touted at car shows by manufacturers who should know better. I had thought that Reliant might have looked at this when they started dabbling but the flame of manufacturing had all but sputtered out sadly. In the '60's they or quite a few other companies would have done so. Now, no risks in a struggling industrial background. Indeed better not to manufacture but just market other peoples stuff. Says it all.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
I have just got around to looking at the clip, it looks enormous fun! Amazing what a drop of 5 star and a new spark plug can do! :D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »
I have just got around to looking at the clip, it looks enormous fun! Amazing what a drop of 5 star and a new spark plug can do! :D

I better go working on the Yamaha moped I have then, since its lighter, it should go twice the speed ;)
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Since no one is talking about microcars right now, what Yamaha moped do you have? I fixed my Puch last week, the air intake rubber sleeve had sliped off the carb mouth causing a week mixture and poor performance, refitted it and now goes like a rocket! Well 38mph anyway!! :D :D Did the Cold Turkey run on Tuesday, completed the course without wrecking the cabbage fields!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
So you didn't feel such a turkey this time then Bob?

I should be picking up that NSU Quickly F with a large box of spares and parts in the New Year. Might do a Bob Purton type restoration on it after frightening myself out on the roads for a few months.  ;D

Do you use "2 pack" finish on your vehicles Bob?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
Since no one is talking about microcars right now, what Yamaha moped do you have? I fixed my Puch last week, the air intake rubber sleeve had sliped off the carb mouth causing a week mixture and poor performance, refitted it and now goes like a rocket! Well 38mph anyway!! :D :D Did the Cold Turkey run on Tuesday, completed the course without wrecking the cabbage fields!

Yamaha QT 50. Girls moped really, ,looks it mostly!
I hit 27mph once, but thats top really.

I had the same problem with the rubber sleeve, but before that the wrost problem was when it only ran with choke *and* 2 fingers on the air filter hole (didnt work with filter on), leaving a small gap. Obviously couldnt really ride it! I made my own foam (old one was falling apart, was very thin, but seemed original, and had a couple of holes). My foam was a lot thicker, so wuld ghive it more suction, somore fuel goes past.

It never seems to go well the first minute it runs, but I have never ran it on the road (apasrt from the road between our big field and our house, since I have no license), maybe needs a good old run (out of the fields) to wear things back in place. When I got it (for free) it sat in a garage for a while, didnt run at all, needed a load of work to get it going.

Our Puch seems to go well, sometimes loses a bit of power, I jsut clean carb, and cl;ean exhaust (gets really dirty, even with correct fuel mixture)

JP
Mopeds:

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:06 PM »
Great clip!
I have a friend who races his costly Yank Tank at Santa Pod, based on a Plymouth Barracuda, which he trailers to meets behind his camper van, and which needs a constant supply of new engine, gearbox and suspension parts. He makes no money from it, spends many thousands of pounds per year, will NEVER win as there is always someone with more money to buy better parts and help, and only gets a few seconds of fun per meet. So I agree with Alan's ideas about racing. This looks great fun for modest money, like Karting. Much better to watch than Pro racing too.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
Rob.... Yes I use 2K paint , not everones cup of tea but I like it!

Jonathan.....QT's are very good mopeds, should go faster than 27, I was behinb one last year on a run and had trouble keeping up, and it was carrying a big guy!  Shaft driven?

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
Rob.... Yes I use 2K paint , not everones cup of tea but I like it!

Jonathan.....QT's are very good mopeds, should go faster than 27, I was behinb one last year on a run and had trouble keeping up, and it was carrying a big guy!  Shaft driven?

Yep, shaft driven! I will have to see what I can do... Maybe polish out the carb and cylinder ;)
Mopeds: