Author Topic: sans permis Taxation class and UK registration  (Read 26063 times)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: sans permis Taxation class and UK registration
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
I suggest you read again before you chuck your dummy out the pram. No one is saying French microcars are laughed at. They made some fine cars. I gave my opinions on sans permit cars.  You may be surprised to know that not all French micro cars are sans permit. The rest of us are already aware of this fact. So don't be so bloody rude to us. 
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »
I must admit I wasn't too impressed by the comment on MOT men, for most micro naughts the mot man is your best friend! My one has done me no end of favours. I shouldn't worry though Shaun, most of whats said on the forum is said tongue in cheek and even when it isn't, in a way that's what forums are for, expressing ones views, likes, dislikes etc. For example I love my Inter [French microcar] but I wouldnt want to own a Flipper, good luck to those who do.  We don't all have to agree with each other. The best thing about this forum is that when you need help usually people are willing to give it.

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
I suggest you read again before you chuck your dummy out the pram. No one is saying French microcars are laughed at. They made some fine cars. I gave my opinions on sans permit cars.  You may be surprised to know that not all French micro cars are sans permit. The rest of us are already aware of this fact. So don't be so bloody rude to us.

Ok, I have re-read, and as this whole thread is about 'Sans permit' cars,
And I own a 'sans permit', and the opinions you have given on sans permit is clear.

The mistake I made in posting was that I referred to ALL French micro cars.
Where as you like some, just NOT the Sans permit.

Therefore I still think you are rude about my type of microcar.
And NO dummies have been spat from my side,
But I still think you come across as a microcarsnob.

HTH.

Shaun.

yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »
I must admit I wasn't too impressed by the comment on MOT men, for most micro naughts the mot man is your best friend! My one has done me no end of favours. I shouldn't worry though Shaun, most of whats said on the forum is said tongue in cheek and even when it isn't, in a way that's what forums are for, expressing ones views, likes, dislikes etc. For example I love my Inter [French microcar] but I wouldnt want to own a Flipper, good luck to those who do.  We don't all have to agree with each other. The best thing about this forum is that when you need help usually people are willing to give it.

Thank you for mentioning that not all testers are against the 'classic car movement'.

You just have to find the right tester, who will go the extra little bit to read and re-read the regs and apply as needed.

I know forums are mostly tongue in cheek, but some have sharper tongues than is needed.
As this thread was about helping to get someones 'sans permit' registered, the negative views were most likely toseem like the 'club' didn't want to help.

Shaun.
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »
The rest I have read in this thread is that french micro cars are laughed at and deemed not a proper microcar  ???

Oh, I certainly hope not.  This bunch (myself included) tends towards irreverence on nearly any subject, but I've got a couple of French microcars myself (a 1978 and a 1980 KV Mini 1) which I cherish beyond words.  Much about their design and execution lends itself to humor, which I've always taken in the spirit of laughing with as opposed to laughing at.  If anyone truly doesn't like such vehicles, they are welcome to their opinion.  If anyone thinks such vehicles somehow aren't "proper" microcars, that's their problem, not mine.

I don't have much by way of British licensing advice, however, as I'm in the US. 
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

Ok, I have re-read, and as this whole thread is about 'Sans permit' cars,
And I own a 'sans permit', and the opinions you have given on sans permit is clear.

The mistake I made in posting was that I referred to ALL French micro cars.
Where as you like some, just NOT the Sans permit.

Therefore I still think you are rude about my type of microcar.
And NO dummies have been spat from my side,
But I still think you come across as a microcarsnob.

HTH.

Shaun.

My dad a microcarsnob?

I dont think those words go together... Microcar and snob? Opposite things  :D

My dad and snob? Not that I know of  ???

There is nothing snobish with owning microcars, especially if you have been into them for over 30 years like my dad, when they were worthless!

Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
[
Thank you for mentioning that not all testers are against the 'classic car movement'.

You just have to find the right tester, who will go the extra little bit to read and re-read the regs and apply as needed.

Shaun.

This is the situation round here. Some testers are like the Gestapo on Classics as they do not understand that the test is not just about functionality but it is also about efficiency against design. Clearly a cable brake car is not going to perform like a thing with ABS etc. You can get fails for play in the bearings etc where, in fact, no play means the thing cannot work. Bob is right, a good MOT man is really handy as he has a neutral view and can pick up problems missed or impending and help you create a better car. I admit bias to older testers as they have more experience, which cannot be bought. However a good MOT guy is qualified and more often than not gets his fingers dirty when not doing MOTs. Respect is due. Mike is the fount of knowledge at my station/garage and the place would struggle without him. Your talking of a guy who can make white metal bearings etc. There is little he does not know. He is perhaps the top of his trade. Yet another 10 miles are the Taylor Brothers who are as good. Alec has microcars. I am very lucky.

Do these guys know the minutiae of DVLA classification. I doubt it. They test what is put in front of them to the standard the information and classification requires. I think this is what Bob meant. They are not going to always pick up your classification is incorrect. How would they know? My Minibus is not a Minibus as I chose to deregulate it into a PLG van. Looks like a Minibus though. The issue is if I use it as a Minibus I break the law. Mike did tell me I have to remove the drivers Tacho to comply when I tested it. I have no idea if he is correct but you do it out of respect.
   I still wonder why Stuart could not get his Mini Comtesse MOTed. Mike would have done it but you have to book in with the garage management. If they were unable to identify what test it needed then they will refuse, unless your a regular customer, as time is money. The Taylors, on a similar level, do not suffer 'fools' gladly. That does not mean you are a fool it just means they need to think you are. They are invariably rude about any older car they test to, which upsets some folk. It is their manner and on knowing them better you understand it is because the know most vehicles weak points etc etc. Thus they are firstly unpopular as you cannot con them over missing controls etc - Schmitt rear brake for instance and secondly those with a choice sometimes prefer to go elsewhere to avoid 'abuse'. In fact the answer is to debate with them by suggesting they have equally crap cars and they will very often agree! Then you get down to it and learn something you did not know.

Were we laughing at sans permis cars? Well possibly sneaking a ribbing but they are more of a Microcar than a lot of things that come up. My personal take on them is I would not drive one on our roads (assuming it could take the strain!) as I fear modern British drivers would mean it was only a question of time before there was an incident I would care to avoid. That class of vehicle has no choice to increase performance without stepping outside its class so it is very much a case of personal choice as to if you wish to own and if you then wish to attempt to drive one. I would not wish the rules to prevent this though.

Snobbery, yes there is in microcars, but much of it is based on the fact that those who have had a few cars realise that there are certain types which are still completely usable today, a lot which, with sense, are fine within their limits of specification and then another lot that are perhaps better suited to rallies, runs and localised adventures. Of course the final lot are a challenge to even find complete let alone drive. Price now does not map this divide as slavishly as perhaps it used to but is another sort of snobbery. The French Fridges sit low on usability and value so are a natural target. That said if you have not the budget for the expensive stuff plus not the need to compete with the M4, like Mike Grossman, you do not need the usability. Perfect thing to play with then. I would like to see a herd of them at an event taking a suitable run out, perhaps, and creating a stir. None the less I will be watching from the sidelines or attempting to aid.

As a collectors item they work well. There are a myriad to find and some are bonkers. Again not for me but a very supportable thing to do at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:07:12 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs