Author Topic: Bubblecars to Venice run 2012  (Read 20976 times)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Bubblecars to Venice run 2012
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
Hello all,
Back last summer I mentioned the idea about recreating the 1958 'Bubblecar to Venice Run'. Shortly after I mentioned that we had a family death back in the UK which made schmitt things take second place for a while. But now it's a New Year and next summer to look ahead to. If you have a copy of the Messerschmitt Gold Portfolio book you can read about the original run on page 75. The main thing is to arrange a date to start the 2012 run, so if anyone would like to take part and has a preference on dates then let me know. Maybe to coincide with a rally on the Continent ? On the original run there were five microcars, a KR200, a Nobel, a Heinkel, a Scootacar and a Frisky. It would be great to get one of each of those to come along, but any others would be welcome. We will try to follow the original route as much as we can ( we don't know the full details ). The price will be kept down. We'll try to stay in cheap hotels that offer secure parking or chalets on camp sites. My wife Ant is trying to sort out sponsership and any money obtained will be split evenly between the participants and the costs of the back up normal car & trailer. If this sounds like an event you would like to be part of, let me know. Now is the time to get the ball rolling. Nick.

Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Bubblecars to Venice run 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
Hello all,
Back last summer I mentioned the idea about recreating the 1958 'Bubblecar to Venice Run'. Shortly after I mentioned that we had a family death back in the UK which made schmitt things take second place for a while. But now it's a New Year and next summer to look ahead to. If you have a copy of the Messerschmitt Gold Portfolio book you can read about the original run on page 75. The main thing is to arrange a date to start the 2012 run, so if anyone would like to take part and has a preference on dates then let me know. Maybe to coincide with a rally on the Continent ? On the original run there were five microcars, a KR200, a Nobel, a Heinkel, a Scootacar and a Frisky. It would be great to get one of each of those to come along, but any others would be welcome. We will try to follow the original route as much as we can ( we don't know the full details ). The price will be kept down. We'll try to stay in cheap hotels that offer secure parking or chalets on camp sites. My wife Ant is trying to sort out sponsership and any money obtained will be split evenly between the participants and the costs of the back up normal car & trailer. If this sounds like an event you would like to be part of, let me know. Now is the time to get the ball rolling. Nick.

Here is the old message with a few additional facts:

Hello all,  I think it would be a great idea to do a re-run of the M.P.H.W. Bubblecars to Venice run that took place in about 1958. Five cars took part, a Scootacar mk1, A Heinkel, a nobel, a Frisky and a schmitt. All the info I have on the original run is a one page article with photos on page 75 in the Messerschmitt Gold Portfolio book. I've mentioned this idea on the schmitt club forum and have already had a few people that are on for it. If anyone has more info on the original 1958 trip then please let me know. I'm sure some of the eleven people who took part must still be alive. We don't even know if they got to Venice ! If you would like to join the 2012 group drop me a line. It won't cost loads of money. Each person will just pay their own expenses as we go along. We may take a back up car & trailer ( as they did on the 1958 run ) and split that cost evenly between everyone that takes part.  It wont be a race and we'll try to stick to the original route as much as we can, once we know it. regards,  Nick.     

------------------------------

Here is a scan of the article.

I will also do a load of research, contacting etc.

I dubt the Nobel is still surviving, since it looks like one of the first prototypes (Nobel badged Fulda maybe, has Fulda Ali trim, off center petrol cap, colours) and the earliest car known is n12, and they had a very low survival rate.

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
Dear Nick

What a great Idea. But how about doing it in reverse and going Via the Burgundy Rally, and finishing at the British National Rally in September. Prize for coming the furthest!!!

So Venice, Burgundy UK Run. I can certainly recommend a few good museums and roads to drive along on route.

Please keep me informed.

Chris Thomas

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »
Dear Nick

What a great Idea. But how about doing it in reverse and going Via the Burgundy Rally, and finishing at the British National Rally in September. Prize for coming the furthest!!!

So Venice, Burgundy UK Run. I can certainly recommend a few good museums and roads to drive along on route.

Please keep me informed.

Chris Thomas

That sounds like an even better idea, could provide a great publicity boost for both rallys without adding hugely to the burden to those who might already want to do the run.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
Sounds like a Nick Poll production out and a RUM tour back to me. The Burgundian Rally and National are two weeks apart though, so a lot of hanging around somewhere. I fear Nick would find Beaulieu a greater attraction than the National since it increases his chance of finding a Brough gearbox bolted to a Bentley supercharger for £5.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Sounds like a Nick Poll production out and a RUM tour back to me. The Burgundian Rally and National are two weeks apart though, so a lot of hanging around somewhere. I fear Nick would find Beaulieu a greater attraction than the National since it increases his chance of finding a Brough gearbox bolted to a Bentley supercharger for £5.

Nah, that price is far beyond his average bargains ;)

He always gets me to barter prices since he doesnbt speak french, and I often knock off half price, sometimes even more!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
       Looking at routes and dates I feel it would be better mid August and visiting the  French Bourgogne rally http://bubblecars.aero-jean-do.com/
on the way back.
I have been busy trying to work out the route, keeping as near to the original as possible, with the little information we have. Using Google maps I've worked out the distances between each overnight stop. The plan will be to use non motorway routes where at all possible and stay in sensibly priced hotels which must have secure parking for our cars.
It would be great to do the laps at the Monza circuit and I'm in touch with Francisco de Cunto to see if he can help us, also to see if he knows any interesting collections & museums to visit while in Italy.
At the moment the plan is as follows:
Sunday 12th August
Leave from Trafalgar Square in London, arrive at Ardres France.
Monday 13th
Ardres to Joinville
Tuesday 14th
Joinville to Basel in Switzerland
Wednesday 15th
Basel to Como in Italy
Thursday 16th
Como to Verona
Friday 17th
Verona to Venice.  .
The French Bourgonne Rally starts the following friday, so we have a week to relax, explore the area and get to Bourgonne ( which is about 900km from Venice ).

How does that all sound ?         More details will follow in a day or two. Any interested people must contact me.     regards, Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
Really rather good.

If it were me I think I would happily avoid the London bit and be sat waiting on the route beyond the M25 as I detest London so. Why is London even in England when it is not British any more? Do the dates mean missing the Olympics? A point in favour of going to be away from televised embarrassment of foreign games being held as British. If it were really British no one would be cheating would they?

Finishing at the Bourgonne Rally seems to fit and round things off really rather well. Additional bonus of not have to not go back into London, deep joy.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
That sounds great. however I have some comments

12 August is the final day of the olympics, so there will be the closing bits, so London will be crawing with tourists etc. Good for publicity but not so good for Microcars in Trafalgar square.

How about calling into Staplehurst on the way to Dover/Eurotunnel

Day 4 looks like a challenge Basle to Como all through Switzerland.

Could the Swiss Motor Club be asked for assistance. The chairman owns a Tiger 500

The route back to Burgandy could go to Nice and along the coast and up to Lyon which is much flatter.

I would love to come along, either riding shotgun with a lone driver, or as a backup car. However it will mean Rumcar news will be two weeks late being printed.

Chris Thomas

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
How about calling into Staplehurst on the way to Dover/Eurotunnel

Surely it would be better to call in to School House Farm in HAWKENBURY?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:58:29 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
Can you afford to hotel in Switzerland? Follow the Poll and save your roll?

Better to return through the Alps to collect the bits fallen off and the cars and peeps that did not make it, perhaps!

jean-do

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »
hello friends,
sorry for beeing so late to reply ...
of course we would be pleased to have you for our french nat's ... as the road gets you threw burgugndy to come home from venice .
as Chris said , there are a lot of wonderful museum tu visit  on the road , first is Malartre vintage cars museum in Rochetaillée closer to lyon ( tell me if, and i'll ask my friend the director to coment the visit with  you ! ) ,
now our registring form is not ready .... but could you tell us how many  friends would participate , so that we could pre-register and get your places reserved ( it would not be good to tell you we are full : (
thank you for this idea , the Burgundy welcome attitude we'll be our priority ...
firendly
jean-do
"Bubblecars & Scooters en Bourgogne" president
scooters & microcars addict since 1985
http://bubblecars.aero-jean-do.com
next edition : 28-30 august 2018 : ROLUX special edition !!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »
Dear Jean Do

Thank you for the photograph of Miss Bubblecar 2010.

Perhaps we could have some suggestions as to what Jean Do is saying, and what Miss Bubblecar 2010 is thinking?

Something like: -  Miss Bubblecar   "I do hope he is not going to sing"
                          Jean Do            " Non, le regret.............................."

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
so THATS where the last  original pair of + 20 piston rings went - your'e using them as earrings !!
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:23 PM »
1....2...3...1...2...3 hey who cut the lead of my microphone !!
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977