Author Topic: Austin J40 Micro Car (alright, PEDAL car!)  (Read 7789 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Austin J40 Micro Car (alright, PEDAL car!)
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
So here it is, with me in it. The two tubs behind it have some of the parts. It really is a normal car in minature, designed for children and pedal powered. When complete these have working headlights and horn, and were made in a Welsh factory set up by Austin, and using left-overs from car production. It is as or more substantial as some Micro cars.

The thing is one of our tenants is an antiques restorer (furniture and decorations) and a client of his wants to get this restored and I have been asked to consider the job and provide a quote.

I have been told that the market value is likely to be about £1500 to £2000, out of which the dealer will want his cut.

If I was doing to do this as a hobby things would be hunky-dory, but to do it as a pro job on a fixed budget looks pretty daunting. Most parts can be obtained new as reproductions, and I think it is achievable, but only while my drum work is not too busy, and I worry that I might get bogged down with unforeseen problems and loose momentum.

Does anyone know about these lovely old cars, anticipate any problems or generally have anything to say about taking on such a project?

Basically I think it will need

shot-blasting or chemical stripping
checking/repairing all body work and parts, including some welding and panel beating
filling/surfacing/painting...(someone has stripped off most of the paint with a sanding disc on an angle grinder, leaving the sheet metal scored and marked.
checking servicing repairing/replacing all mechanical components, including roller bearings, brake lining etc.
new battery, lights, horn and wiring
renew upholstery
new tyres, tubes
finally assembly

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Austin J40 Micro Car (alright, PEDAL car!)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Depending on how thorough you wanted to be you could quite easily end up out of pocket with that budget .

Just your size though Marcus!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
From the Austin J40 Pedal Car Club web site.

"Austin pedal cars were made in the specially constructed Austin Junior Car Factory at Bargoed in South Wales, which opened on 5 July 1949. It was paid for by Government funds and was run on a not-for-profit basis and purely for the employment of disabled coal miners suffering from the lung disease, pneumoconiosis. They were re-trained and benefited from in-house medical care".

See:  http://www.austinj40pedalcarclub.org.uk/index.html

Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
Cheers Rob, yup I have had a good look at that site, and a handbook in the the tub of parts.

Cheers Bob, I thought you might be interested! Yup, I fear ending up out of time and out of pocket. If it was for me then no sweat! Thing is if I do a rush job within time and budget it would be very unprofessional.

It is indeed about the right size for me, but once the pedals are in it would probably not be possible, so to go for a "Photo-Op" drive down the Streets of London I would probably have to be towed!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
Rob Halford, Caterton, does bits but like the Schmitt the list of wants gets very expensive and can end up being needs for a less budget. Done a few up myself. Trendy things bit not rare. The little racing cars, Pathfinder?, were even nicer. For little more you can get an Atco D type which has an engine and is rarer. Never saw the sense in the J40 market as most modern youngsters are to weak to pedal them!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
don't see any margin in it for you marcus  :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
My brain knows there's no margin in it, my heart WANTS to do it and take it for a drive around the block.
You know in cartoons when the character has a little angel whispering in one ear and a little devil in the other? I am like that!
Sadly brain is winning, but the heart will keep hoping until the owner comes to collect it to take to someone with more time than me.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
we're all like that  :) cant tell you how many things i have bought from ebay and then wondered why  :-[ get behind me satan  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
get behind me satan
I can see where you're going wrong - "Get thee behind me Satan" is the saying that works.  'Get behind me Satan' is the White Stripes album - that ain't gonna keep Satan off your back, is it?