Author Topic: old Bond dealership  (Read 21341 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
old Bond dealership
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
not much  Bond interest on this site generally but here goes . Robbs Garage Wallasey 1950's - 60's
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: old Bond dealership
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
Well at least one Bond lover here is very happy to see these pics. Thanks for posting :) Lot's of Bond C's and D's and no later models so probably 1956
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Not particularly a Bond fan, but still like seeing those pics!
Funny, on my wide screen monitor the Bonds look really long and sleek, almost American!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
yep . two new mark D's in the small showroom on the left and one on trade plates in the middle outside as well  (- though i am told that some late C's had that smaller front grill too) the Business is still there servicing " normal cars " under the same management third generation now , second generation Graham Robb a recent Bond Club member at my instigation . he is now 70 odd and not been into micro's for many a year . The garage was a main dealer with Graham and or his father travelling up to the Preston factory by train and returning with new cars , usually loaded with spares . The garage became a hub of local activity with up to a dozen ( twelve, for younger listeners ;D ) cars turning up lunchtime saturday to tire kick, chat and see what was new . that probably explains the amount of cars outside .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
Here's some views of it as it is now (or at least in 2009) from Google.
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
Not changed a huge amount
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »
behind the shutters , the old showroom , is now an immaculately restored MGA ex-california . to my mind a bit too pretty in turquoise sshhhhhh Rob's recent passion , he now seems keen to return to the fold  ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
I love MGAs!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
interesting four wheeler in the first photo . what must have been, even then surely ,- an old perambulator

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
Bonds and Singers, judging by the banner board on the garage. An unusual mix or did the Singer agency pre-date the Bond.

Sounds like a 'proper' garage if it had owners grouping there in mutual support etc. Great. The sort of garage that is hard to find now and to cherish.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
over the years almost all cars have lost their character. bikes on the other hand still retain a bit of the old magic . many the saturday morning when my mate adam and i will still meet up at Bill Smiths motorcycles in Chester and see whats new , help ourselves to a complimentary hot chocolate from the free vending machine and chew the fat before a run out into wales . how i would love to go back in time and be one of the Bond owners meeting at Robbs before a run out .
i held this picture back al. just spotted the collision damaged rear offside wing to the E/F Bond in the workshop - OUCH
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:23:11 PM by lightweight dickie »

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
What delightful old photos! Keep posting them. Please!
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
run out !! someone else must have something on celluloid concerning the old dealers . makes you think maybe RUM ought to try and save what can be saved now . might have got myself a job  ;)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Boosted the colour a bit.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
thanks - much better lets see what dating clues we can see now then  :)