Author Topic: Old Club magazine  (Read 11450 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Old Club magazine
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
I have been fortunate to have gained a long standing Microcar owners old magazines as he is clearing out and adjusting his hobbies. Since he let me have the stuff at a reasonable rate I feel reluctant to to just sell off the duplicates for top money in his face and would rather attempt to trade them for missing magazines from my runs or bulk differing publication runs. Since this means a fair amount of typing I thought to see what interest there was. I will be doing some Bristol Microcar Club and Kabinews initially. As an aside I am keen to obtain early Take Off and Kabinews, pre 79 - that is when I became active in Schmitts after Isettas, Trojans and Goggomobils 33 years ago, Blimey I feel old!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
Re: Old Club magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Well I have the listings of swaps available and mags wanted but no idea of how to attach it to this site. Interested persons can have the list via email at alanbubblecars@hotmail.com. unless Stuart manages to load the thing. Mind you he will have had all the good stuff by then.....
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
you can attach documents to your post just the same as an image file.
Click "additional options" at the bottom and it shows you what is accepted.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
Tried that and convert to a 'doc' as that normally fits all but it seems to get stuck when you load it. One of the probs with not being microsoft based perhaps though this works fine for email attachments. Will try again.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
docky, docky.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
Tried that and convert to a 'doc' as that normally fits all but it seems to get stuck when you load it. One of the probs with not being microsoft based perhaps though this works fine for email attachments. Will try again.

I thought you were under GNU Linux?
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
[

I thought you were under GNU Linux?

Linux something, but you mistake me for someone who knows how to work a computer. THe list is attached as a 'doc' above but will not show itself unless clicked on. Why is a 'doc' file any different to a 'jpg' file in that they are made for the PC systems and purport to be user friendly?

The Linux file is not even recognised as organised information by this website, which I can understand, as it is a whole different suit of programmes.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
why can't you just make a TXT (text) file?  Anyone can create/open a txt file.
or, just copy/paste the list into the body of a post?

documents won't show up like JPGs because they are not images and the forum software is not set up to create thumbnails of documents.
If you had a multi-page document, what would the thumbnail look like?

anything is possible, it is just not practical.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
I am sure your right. Hmm, err, yes. Forgive me if I sleep on that info and then see if I can convert it into pushing the right buttons in the right order tomorrow. Even when I get these things I then forget how I did it. Still I will have a go.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
why can't you just make a TXT (text) file?  Anyone can create/open a txt file.
or, just copy/paste the list into the body of a post?

documents won't show up like JPGs because they are not images and the forum software is not set up to create thumbnails of documents.
If you had a multi-page document, what would the thumbnail look like?

anything is possible, it is just not practical.

Works fine here (I'm currently on windows), but I see the file is called "magswap..doc" maybe Linux goes funny about the 2 dots?

Here is the text

Neswletters spare / wanted

Bristol Microcar Club

Wanted – Number 10 from December 1986

Spare – Number 4 from December 1985
                           13        June 1987
                           14        August 1987
                           15        October 1987
                           16        December 1987
                                       March 1990
                                       May 1990
                                       February 2003
                                       August 2004

Messerschmitt Owners Club – Kabinews

To swap - April 1981
                 August 1982, September 1982, October 1982,  November 1982, December 1982
                 July 1983, October 1983
                 Feb/Mar 1984, July 1984, August 1984, September 1984, October 1984.
                 May 1989
                 February 1994, March 1994
                 January 1995, February 1995, March 1995
                 January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August,September, October, November 1996
                 January 2005, March 2005

Bound sets for 12 magazines for 1983. 1984, 1987,1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992.

Wanted – Anything Kabinews pre 1976

January, February, March, April, May, July,  August, September, October 1977
                 January 1977, February 1977, March 1977, August 1977, October 1977, November 1978
                 February 1979, March 1979
                 June 1981, August 1981, September 1981, November 1981
                 May 2001, July 2001, November 2001, December 2001

Also wanted are MEC Take Off pre 1982.

Alan Hitchcock – 01367 240125, alanbubblecars@hotmail.com
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
Did not notice two stops. Wonder how that happened. Time to experiment. Enough to confuse a hosting program I guess.

Thanks for putting it up. Judging by the relative interest in programming to magazine list content I fear this might be the end of this thread. However I should end up learning something thanks to you two.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
I do have some 1972-73 Kabinews, not sure what to do with them.
 ::)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Found a load more magazines in the bottom of a box. MOst are missing copies of runs so only the below extra

Heinkel Trojan Club Ltd magazines.

Review 1 being CN 137
Review 2 being CN 141
Review 3 being CN 144
Review 4 being CN 148

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »
I was nearly deafened by the silence from this amazing chance to gain the few mags missing from your collections - this being the wider ownership of the clubs concerned as well as the forum. Seems only a few folk are interested in actually collecting and collating old data so as to be able to read the answers to questions already answered. Many the very same questions as appear on this and other forums as alleged fresh topics. How rather modern. How rather dangerous to rely on those few to hold the information and be willing to disseminate it for free, or at all. If the collectors of mags all keel over and these collections get thrown away the years of data is gone and knowledge or the access to it is reduced. Sorry if I sound annoyed. I am not, I am utterly amazed that cheap knowledge is so disregarded until such time it is demanded, instantly and for free. However it does rather fit the profile of the newer owners of the cars I used to be interested in who seem to think they can buy anything meaning they can remain in ignorance of the very focus of their purchase and pose. No doubt they are fully informed about campervans though.

Anyway the whole lot of mags has gone to a collector who is enlightened enough to look stuff up if asked nicely, at the moment.

Meanwhile I am seriously considering the way I inter react in what seems to be a shrivelling area of activity. For instance Bristol Club Night bought 4 people into what used to be 10 and for years attracted over 20 being one of the real successes to the extent of spinning off the Bristol Microcar Club. In the early days there would be about 20 micros in the car park and 40 people attending. Mighty are the fallen. I can see the pub night getting scratched as three of us travelled over 45 miles to attend an event the locals do not! Its all going Pete Tong at a rate of knots. At least The Fleece at Bretforton, tonight, is doing better than that and it is only a three year old venue!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
Could the reduced interest in old club magazines that contain the solutions to many perennial microcar problems be due in part to the current prevalence of thought that all information should be free?  As you are well aware, not only the prevalence of the internet, and Google and the like- but the incredibly rapid proliferation of smart phones and tablets has led people to expect that access to all information is now an inalienable right .  With this comes the expectation that no one should be allowed to charge for such, or anyone should have to bother to do more than type in a few key words on a search engine to get the answer to any questions.
Now a days even if someone decides to retrieve information the old fashioned way- that is by actually studying the matter in a printed periodical or book form, the rapidly self establishing norm is becoming to either obtain the original work for free, or pay something like a dollar to get it permanently down loaded on your Kindle type devise.
The solution- depending on your prerogative and monetary inclinations, would be to either have someone place all the information that you fear may be lost to future generations in a link from a look up in Wilkepedia, or some more appropriate website, or charge for disks or downloads of all the old magazines that could be scanned  and loaded into an area of a hard drive to occupy a space not much larger than a head of a pin.
If this were done, even I would be a willing customer of same.